Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to APRIL!!!! Spring is AWESOME. Enjoy some beautiful TULIPS from Biltmore!!

Monday, September 2, 2019

Come to the Limberlost with Me

Put on your walking shoes and go with me into the Limberlost Forest!!
Dear Friends,   I invite you to go with me on an interesting hike in the woods on the LIMBERLOST TRAIL,   off of  Skyline Drive in Virginia  (8/7/19).   Even if you aren't much of a 'hiker' --you would enjoy this trail.  It is only 1.3 miles total,  in a mostly flat area --and the trail is in GREAT shape with benches all along the area for resting and/or reflection.

This trail is a little different from many of the trails along Skyline Drive --since it is just a short walk through the woods  (with no overlooks or views).   BUT--depending upon when you are there,  there are LOTS of things to see and experience--including wildlife (deer, bears, rabbits, etc.).

Years ago,  this area was known for its HUGE Hemlock Trees.  I grew up with Hemlocks in our yard,  so I've always had a special affection toward them.   Most of you know that many of the Hemlocks throughout our country have been killed over the past ten+ years by an accidentally imported insect (the Hemlock wooly adelgid).   Seeing the dead Hemlock trees is just SO sad for me.  

When we hike,  I enjoy doing some research in order to find out more about an area.  Here's some history about this trail/area.  Addie Pollack bought 100 of the large Hemlock trees in the area for $1000 to help preserve this land in 1920 from logging.  Her husband named it the Limberlost Forest after the novel,  "A Girl of the Limberlost".   The Pollocks were responsible for establishing Skyland as a resort destination nearby (which is where George and I stayed recently).

Today,   I'll share some of the things I observed while hiking this trail....  Hope you enjoy 'our' hike  today!!!!!


George waits patiently for me --while I stop and check out my surroundings.



There are beautiful (and large) ferns everywhere...



Deep into the forest we go... What can I see?


How 'bout a Centipede (OR some kind of insect)???



OR --this strange tree!!!!  I named him Mr. Knotty!!!!



George is waiting on me again!!!!!!! ha ha



Oh My---see the pretty little Wildflowers?



We did see a few larger Hemlocks along our way.



Here's a close-up of a Hemlock --in case you don't recognize them.



Something is enjoying this dead tree!!!!  (It's not a beaver though since there's no water nearby.)



Called the "Rock of Ages" --Such an interesting rock formation!!!
I did some research on this interesting group of rocks...They are called  Columnar Joints which formed many years ago as volcanic rock cooled and contracted,  and is thus a geological structure where sets of intersecting closely spaced fractures,  referred to as joints,  resulted in the formation of an array of columns... Column diameters can measure anywhere up to about 10 feet, and the length can be as much as 100 feet.  They are typically parallel and straight--but can be curved.  The number of sides of the individual columns can vary from 3-8,  with 6 sides being the most common.   If you want more information,   click HERE.



Here is a better picture of the "Rock of Ages";  Interesting, huh?



I love seeing all of the different mushrooms.

Maybe I'll just sit in the ferns for awhile!!!!




Or maybe I'll just enjoy seeing the deer showing no fear of our presence nearby..



HOPE:  A Baby Hemlock!!!
I'll end our little hike showing you that there is HOPE when it comes to nature..... Things do come back--even though it takes awhile.  I loved seeing the 'baby' Hemlocks!!!!!!!   Do you enjoy checking out all of the glories of nature when you are out walking or hiking????   I certainly do!

Hope you enjoyed our hike on the LIMBERLOST TRAIL today....

Happy Labor Day to ALL.

Hugs,

21 comments:

diane b said...

Thanks for taking me for a hike a showing me all the interesting natural wonders of the forest. it is a very pretty hike.

Ann said...

What a beautiful place for a hike. With so much around you I can see why you had to stop and take the time to look around you.

linda m said...

Thanks for "taking" us along on your hike. Looks like my kind of place to take a walk. What a beautiful place.

Marcia said...

When I was in high school I went backpacking in that area with the Girl Scouts. The hemlocks were so lovely then. Hard to imagine them gone. There is or maybe was a grove of virgin hemlocks in West Virginia at Cathedral State Park. Those were huge trees. I wonder how they have fared with the invasive bug. You had a lovely hike.

Dee said...

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of your hiking trail. That is one I no doubt could do and would love to do.

George said...

I definitely enjoyed that hike. We should do it again some day.

Betsy said...

Pretty day it looked like for a hike. I like seeing the wildflowers along the way.
Those hemlocks are pretty in the forest, and have a nice canopy but are too big for our yard. We had one taken out last year and another next year has to go. They sprout up in areas around our yard that we don't want.
Great pictures of you and George and love your pic in the ferns.
betsy

David said...

Betsy, Nice little scenic hike... Mushrooms/fungus photos are so interesting. Nice that the wildlife is so relaxed too. Love the rock formation! FYI, my wife's favorite vacation memory is of a cabin in Northern Wisconsin...named "Limberlost". Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Arkansas Patti said...

Now that is my kind of hike. Mostly level, shady, well maintained and actually with you doing all the work, I didn't even get winded:)) Thanks for letting us tag along.
Love ferns.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh Goody!! I am especially interested in this post, because my grandmother's favorite book was "A Girl Of The Limberlost"!!! Wow, I did not know what a Hemlock tree looks like, I would never have guessed they look like this! Your little insect is actually a MILLIPEDE. This looks like the best walk, and not far away either! So what are you doing today?

Ruth Hiebert said...

That trail looks most interesting. I love a walk like that through the forest.Yes, I am always stopping to get a picture of one thing or the other when I'm out walking.Now,I usually walk alone, so no one has to wait for me.

Big Dude said...

Such a pretty walk - thanks for sharing.

BeachGypsy said...

What pretty pictures, Betsy!! Loved seeing them. I was just watching the movie "girl of the limberlost", I'm only about half way through it, and then you post this, pretty neat, LOL! Love those pretty ferns!! How are you feeling these days my friend? Hopefully much better. We are getting ready for hurricane Dorian down here.

The Furry Gnome said...

There's a 'Limberlost' here in Ontario too. And yes, I stop to look at everything!

Chatty Crone said...

Seems like that hike was just the kind for you. George is so patience. Were you worried about snakes in that hemlock girl? Hate to see the tree injured. That rock formation was extremely interesting - thanks for sharing. sandie

Betsy said...

How beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us. I remember reading "The Girl of the LImberlost!"
Blessings,
Betsy

Linda said...

I was there long ago and it felt magical. Perhaps I can go back. I'm able to walk a half mile now, as long as I wear my special Skechers. Hope to increase the distance. Love the rock formation!

Lowcarb team member said...

Hello Betsy,
This does look such a beautiful place, and so green. Thank you for letting me share this hike with you through your photographs.
My good wishes for September, the year seems to be flying by so quickly.

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

What a lovely trail, and a pretty deer!

Dee said...

Dear Betsy, maybe 70 years ago, when I was 13, I read a novel called "The (something) of the LImberlost" ---girl or something. I can vaguely remember a girl. She somehow is in my memory. Do you remember a book like that????? Peace.

Connie said...

Lovely photos, Betsy! This looks like the kind of hike I would like.