Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Friday, August 23, 2013

Two Kentucky Hikes-June, 2013

Today,  I'll divide this post into two parts... These are two interesting hikes that George and I took when we were at Pine Mountain State Resort Park  in Kentucky on June  19 and 20, 2013 (on our Anniversary Trip). 

The first hike was on June 19 to visit the IRON FURNACE in Cumberland Gap,  Tennessee.   We had seen the Iron Furnace before --but this time,  we wanted to see  Gap Creek as it flowed loudly down the mountain... (Click HERE to see Gap Creek when we hiked on another trail higher up in the mountain.)

In 1819,  a 30-foot high blast furnace was built at  Newlee Iron Furnace to produce IRON which was shipped down the Powell River to factories in Chattanooga.  To produce one ton of iron,  the furnace required an exact recipe of 200 bushels of charcoal,  2 tons of iron ore,  and 500 pounds of limestone---all of which would be lit and joined inside the furnace.  The daily product produced here was 3.25 tons at a cost of $19.40 per ton in 1877 figures!!!!

Only remains are left of the Iron Furnace,  which was in operation from about 1820 until 1880 (except during the Civil War years).   The photo above is of the remains of the Iron Furnace.  The furnace was built of sandstone with a liner of firebrick. (Click on all of the photos for enlargements.)




This  is Gap Creek ---flowing down that mountain...




I took this picture of George while we were admiring Gap Creek...




George took this special 'water' photo of Gap Creek.  Isn't that a great photo?




While George took his special pictures,  I sat and enjoyed hearing the roaring cascade as it flowed down the mountain.






+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The second hike we took was to CHAINED ROCK above Pineville,  Kentucky,  on June 20, 2013.  There is a HUGE rock on top of the mountain right ABOVE the little town of Pineville,  Kentucky...  As the legend goes,  the town's children were told that the rock would not come down on them since it had been 'chained'....

In 1932,  a local town committee decided to 'really' chain the rock, and chain it big enough so that people could see the chain from the ground below.  SO--with much difficulty,  a battery of more than 50 men alongside a team of mules  heaved that huge chain up the mountain...

On June 24, 1933,  the job was accomplished---and they 'secured' the rock... BUT--more significantly,  they made themselves a first-rate tourist attraction.  People came from near and far to see that huge chain and rock.

Today,  the chain (101 feet long and spanning a 75' gap) still hangs over Pineville.   The chain reportedly weighs more than a ton!!!!!  Visitors continually ask the question:  "Is there any danger that the rock 'could' fall on Pineville?"   The answer is NO.  The 'rock' itself is no more than a jutting mass of bedrock that is part and parcel of the rest of the cliff face.   It's not a loose boulder at all... BUT---it's fun to visit here ---and learn about this 'legend'.

Above is a photo of the big rock ---and the chain.... That rock really is on the edge of the mountain looking down into Pineville...




Here's  another photo looking at the chain in the other direction.




We walked over lots of big rocks to get to Chained Rock.  It was a little tricky in spots--but worth the hike!




Here is the SIGN posted at Chained Rock.   You'll need to enlarge this one in order to read it.




This is a picture from Chained Rock --looking down at the town of Pineville.




And here is a photo taken the next day (June 21) from downtown Pineville ---looking back up at Chained Rock on that mountain.  This is taken with my long lens.




Back up on the mountain,  here is another view of the surrounding area from up there.




While on our hike to the Chained Rock,  I noticed this weird tree --with its roots growing out of the rocks...  Amazing!!!!   AND if you have a good imagination,  see if you can see someone sitting there!!!!!  You can see the legs, feet,  and arms!!!!!!   See it?????????




Finally,   here is a neat photo showing the sky and clouds that day.. It was a terrific day to be out hiking!!!!

Hope you enjoyed going hiking with us today!!!!!  Both the Iron Furnace and Chained Rock were interesting places to visit... Isn't it amazing how many terrific places one can see when getting out in the world!!!!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.  See you Monday.

Hugs,

43 comments:

Ms. A said...

Yes, I see someone sitting there, with lower arms resting in the lap! Cool!

Beautiful batch of photos!

Small City Scenes said...

Excellent post, Betsy. Great pictures and great stories. Love George's special water picture. It does look like a beautiful day to be hiking and enjoying the outdoors.

The Hike at Red Top Mountain at the 5000 to 6000 ft was quite warm--mid 70's--no snow there so it wasn't chilly.

MB

eileeninmd said...

Wow, cool place for a hike! I love all the photos. Thanks for taking me along. The last sky shot is gorgeous. Have a great day!

Twilight Man said...

What an interesting post today with so many specials!! I would love to meet George and seek his photography teachings on getting the misty effects of the rapids & flowing water. He is good at that.

The tree trunk and roots gave me chills. It looked like everything I could imagine. I could even see a giant's palm pressing down.

Happy weekend to everyone!

From the Kitchen said...

The blast furnace looks better (and has a more interesting history) than the stinking smoke stacks in Gary that belch into the atmosphere! I love the rushing waters and George's photo. The view from Chained Rock into the valley below remind me of gazing down upon Roanoke from Mill Mountain. Now I'm homesick!

Best,
Bonnie

MadSnapper said...

that chain was just like it is now when i was there more than 60 ears ago.. love the last shot and that look like a female tree posing there on the rock. amazing

Catherine said...

I am thinking you and your sweetie must put a lot of miles on your feet! LOL! Good for you two!
Happy weekend Betsy!
xo Catherine

linda m said...

Those are some beautiful photos. Both Iron Furnace and Chained Rock are indeed terrific places. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Rose said...

I seen the person sitting before you said anything at all! What is crazy, I do not remember ever being up to the chained rock! I need to ask Neal if he was ever up there...love the picture of Gap Creek. I still have not ask my other brother what happened to the trout that lived by the mill. They were there for years.

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice hike! Love those running water photos. Not sure about that chain, but it's obviously a beautiful area.

Chatty Crone said...

I love the first picture - we are thinking of taking Andy to Amacola (?) Falls this weekend. And the last picture looks like a hand resting - the tree. Nice pictures!!

sandie

Glenda said...

You and George really do take some amazing trips, and I appreciate your sharing them with us! My feet are tired, just thinking about all that walking, though! LOVE these photos from these special places within just a few hours of home. Have a wonderful day! :-)

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

The hike to chained rock would be worth it, just to see that view. I could easily see the seated person you mentioned in the picture of the tree. And the sky in the last photo is gorgeous.

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

I've made that hike to see the chained rock! I heard the story all my life and finally stopped once when I was going home for a visit. I have pictures of my kids sitting next to the chain.

Beth said...

Loved this post! I esp. liked that photo of the water cascading down the rocks.
All gorgeous pics and I enjoy learning about different places through you. :>)

Sharon said...

I've been to the Iron Furnace, but had never heard of Chained Rock. What an interesting piece of folklore and worthy of a fun Saturday morning trip for us!

Sara S. said...

Very cool pics and a wonderful history behind them. I always enjoy hearing the history behind why certain things were done certain ways. Thanks for taking us on your hike.
And yes, I do see the person sitting there in the tree formation!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Fascinating pictures.Yes,I can see the person sitting there.That tree was desperate to grow there.

Janie said...

You look like a little girl sitting on the rock, Betsy.
Great scenery! I'd be more worried about the chain breaking and falling on my head that about the jutting bedrock falling.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I can see the tree person very clearly!!! And I love looking down in the little town of Pineville, that is very cool. WHAT is the other end of the chain hooked to? I love that old furnace and the steps leading into it!! I thought I SMELT a great post when I looked at that, har har har...get it...smelt? So did you both walk right through the furnace? I have been forgetting to tell you what a beauty your header is...they look like tigers or Stargazers, but they are white instead. What are they?

Linda P said...

Interesting to see the furnace in the middle of what looks like countryside and the history about it as, of course, we still have the remnants of such furnaces here in our city, but in an urban environment. The story about the chained rock is also fascinating and it must have been quite a job for the men and mules to get up there to secure the chain! I'm sure your hikes are good exercise for you and George and you are rewarded by the beauty of the mountains and waterfalls. Have a good weekend. We have a public holiday here in the UK on Monday.

happyone said...

Interesting about the chain, but if the rock ever did fall I don't think the chain could hold it back!!

Cool rock furnace.

And yes I can see the person sitting there!!

Arkansas Patti said...

That furnace is certainly more aesthetic looking than the plants in a steel town I once lived in.
That chain project was a massive undertaking. It ended up being a nice tourist draw.

Kay said...

Wonderful pictures as always. I sure with is was cooler here in SoCal during the summer so I could get out and hike more since the days are so much longer, but I have to do most of my hiking in the fall, winter and spring when it is cooler.

Rohrerbot said...

Great story to go with the pics. You really get to go to some fantastic places. I went out today for a half hour and had to come back in.....I was exhausted...the heat is terrible. Your pics are cool and calm. Do you ever feel like taking a nap or falling asleep near places like these? That one shot of you on the rock looks very peaceful.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I wonder if that poor rock is ever tired of being chained down?? LOL
very interesting about the iron furnace. You two see the coolest things on your travels!!!
Have a great weekend
XOXO
Suz

carolina nana said...

What an interesting post, I've never heard of either the Iron Furnace or Chained Rock. Thanks for the info.
That's funny about that big chain but I bet it makes that town a lot of tourist money !!
Finally had a summer day.
Blessings
marilyn

Ann said...

that iron firnace if pretty cool and the chained rock is quite amazing. It does look like someone is sitting in that tree. I do see the legs and arms

Grandma Bonnie said...

Wow, that Iron Furnace sounded amazing. I did see a person siting with their arms folded in their lap(when looking at the tree roots in the rocks. Nature can be so beautiful.

KathyA said...

Yes, I COULD see that trunk person sitting there.

Such breath-takingly beautiful photos!

Joyful said...

Beautiful photos of the stunning countryside. There is nothing I like better than to sit and listen to rushing water. I have to agree that George's photo of the creek is very special.

Joy said...

I enjoyed hiking with both of you:) nice to know the legend behind these places. Amazing sights:)

Donna said...

You got to see some lovely vistas on those hikes! Thanks for sharing!

Peaches McGinty said...

waterfalls, such beauty, I love to listen to them too, and yes I see a person in the tree - the iron furnace is something I would love to see and the chained rock, I love that story about it protecting the city (we have the Liver birds that protect us) x

Neal said...

We had to cross Gap Creek to go to school until I was 12 years old. It would get so high sometimes that we couldn't get across so we would have to miss school (what a sacrifice:) ).
I still gets up sometimes so you can't get across it on the road. I had to delay my return to IN a few years ago when it got high and I couldn't leave my brother's house and get to the main road.

troutbirder said...

Such gorgeous country. I can see why you guys love to hike there....:)

Connie said...

Neat places to visit and great pictures, Betsy. I enjoyed hearing the story behind the chained rock.

Jeevan said...

Interesting post with subjects on history! I loved the gap creek and the furnace. The tree looks strange but truly wonder. I also like the sky shot and view on chained rock from below.

Happy Sunday Betsy!

Betty Manousos said...

a beautiful post, dear betsy, and i really enjoyed your great pictures. what a lovely countryside! there are some places that i definitely should have visited, but haven't..yet!

the photo of you sitting on the rock is marvelous!!
...and i can see the tree person very clearly!

have a great rest of your weekend~

big hugs~

Debbie Taillieu said...

What a fabulous hike!
And you know I'm loving Gap Creek!!
Hope your weekend was great!
Hugs to you both!
Debbie

Jim and Sandie said...

Incredible pictures. There is nothing like pictures of waterfalls or water roaring down a creek bed. I love them. Along with clouds and mountains and etc. etc. But did I see some orange and red leaves in that one picture? It's too early for the leaves to start changing.

Jim and Sandie said...

Also wanted to tell you that if you do come to Montana next summer we will probably be here in Helena. This is usually where we spend a couple of months so Jim can fish.

DeniseinVA said...

We will have to put that place on our bucket place Betsy. It looks gorgeous from your photographs. Thank you for your interesting comments today, so neat to know we have trodden the same path, give or take a few places.