Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, July 18, 2022

LILIES in our Yard 2022

Dear Friends,   Hope all of you are well.  Both George and I are doing fairly well now with no major health issues as of today. We are very sad and upset about what is happening in/to our country (inflation,  cost of everything going up up up for all of us,  etc.)... Since we are retired and on a fixed budget,  we have to be more careful with what/how we spend our money. 

Personally, the saddest thing we've gone through this Summer is the fact that the DEER have eaten about 90% of our Day Lilies and Roses in the front yard.  We have lived here since 2002 and have NEVER had problems this bad.  Nothing we spray/dust/use this year has kept them away (like it has in the past).   People have given suggestions to us which we have tried.  NOTHING  has worked! 

I'm not sure what is different this year to cause this --but I will say that the deer are 'protected' here---so our population of deer continues to GROW.  Also,  many new homes are being built in our area --and the deer are losing their 'homes' and eating areas.  They are now going to where they can find food ANYWHERE.  You can thank US for feeding them this year! ha  

George has moved all of the Container Roses from the front to the deck  (we need a bigger deck) --and is now trying to save the Roses in the beds in front. So--we are now trying a new repellent (using water) --and it is working so far.  I'll keep you posted.  It's too late for the Day Lilies this year --but the Roses will come back IF we can keep the deer away...  I'll keep you posted!!!

TODAY though,  I'll show you our beautiful LILIES this year.  (They are on the deck.)  Hope you enjoy seeing them.


Montenegro Lily 6/1/22



Tinos Lilies  6/4/22



Patricia's Pride Lily  6/13/22



Rosella's Dream Lily  6/14/22



Pink Lemonade Lilies  6/14/22  (a favorite among my Facebook friends)



Pink Perfection Lilies  6/24/22   (Our very very tall Lilies; I am looking UP to get this photo!!!)



Frisco Lily 6/24/22  



Muscadet Lily 6/27/22
  


Mt. Cook Lilies 7/4/22



Purple Prince Lily 070422



Dizzy Lilies 7/7/22  (a favorite of mine)



Garden Party Lilies  7/7/22



Stargazer Lilies  7/9/22  (an all-time favorite of mine) 



Casa Blance Lily 7/16/22  (This lily is so unique.  Look carefully at the little white dots in  her. They reminded me of Dotted Swiss... Do you remember that fabric?)



Casa Blanca Lilies 7/16/22



Frisco Lilies 6/16/22


The last 3 Lilies  (Casa Blanca) are the last ones which bloomed this year.  They have been so gorgeous --with about 14 blooms.    Stargazer also had many blooms.  Most of the remainder have had fewer blooms but were equally beautiful.  It is/was a great year for my LILIES. Do you have a favorite in this group??? As you can tell,  I have MANY!!!

Hope you enjoyed the photos and are having an awesome day. As I heard on TV,  if you aren't having a fabulous day, then change it!!!!!!

A big Happy Birthday to my oldest son,  Bert.  I cannot believe that he is 59 today!!!!  How can that be????? ha

Hugs,

Betsy💝💛💚💕

15 comments:

Ann said...

All the lilies are beautiful. I think my favorite might be the pink lemonade. Sorry to hear about the battle with the deer. I realize they have to eat but couldn't they find something that isn't quite so pretty to munch on. :)
Happy birthday to Bert.

Fun60 said...

Sad to hear about your day lilies and roses as you usually have a magnificent show of these flowers. I hope moving them to the deck can save them.

Betsy said...

I'm so sorry about your beautiful flowers. Your home is such a showplace for all of them. I gave up planting flowers in the backyard this year because the dear eat everything I plant...except marigolds. They don't like them.
I agree with you about the state of our beautiful country. I fear this may be something we don't recover from in time to save it from other entities hoping to come in and change us fundamentally. I'm so thankful that the dear Lord hears our prayers and is watching over His children.
Blessings,
Betys

Sandee said...

So beautiful. Love all the colors. I'm sorry the deer are eating 90% of your precious flowers.

Have a fabulous day and week. ♥

George said...

I'm glad we were able to save the lilies from the deer, but you're right -- we need a bigger deck. But it sure is beautiful with all these glorious blossoms. Your pictures are great. I, too, have many favorites.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The lilies are all beautiful. You kn ow me,I can't pick a favourite, but the StarGazer would come close.

Lynda said...

So it's not just our neighborhood with the problems of deer - - and squirrels. We won't even discuss the Japanese Beetles. The deer ate my Hosta and my Black-eyed Susan Buds before they even bloomed !!!
The squirrels got my neighbor's tomato plant she had in a container on her deck. Our new neighbors on our left have about three gardens. I asked her how they will keep the deer away. She said, "My husband believes in planting enough so we can share."
I went by their house one day and he was standing there staring at his garden. Seems like the deer ate EVERY ONE of his sunflowers plants. He was just shaking his head in disbelief.
Seems like I may plant only geraniums next year. Nothing has bothered the few I planted this year - - probably because of the smell. I never liked them. My grandmother had them and now I know why - - because they are a deterrent to many insects and animals.
So very sorry for the loss of your gorgeous flowers.

Ginny Hartzler said...

They are all so gorgeous, and thriving. My fav may be Purple Prince.

The Furry Gnome said...

Amazing, the flowers you have!

Marcia said...

I can sympathize with you as that's what I faced with the garden when we lived at The Lodge. If you can you may try fencing your yard with fishing line. I don't know if you can but you put the fishing line at two levels. One level about a foot off the ground and the other about three feet. The deer can't see it and will avoid it. This worked for me for awhile as did blocking their view of what was growing. But it is a losing battle if they have no place of their own and they are hungry.

I had new lilies this year that I've enjoyed seeing for the first time.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What beautiful lilies you have!!! So sorry to read that the deer are eating them and your lovely roses as well. Hope this new deterrent works for you. Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

William Kendall said...

My dad stopped planting the last of the vegetable garden one year when the deer got in and ate all the beans. I'm convinced to this day that he was glad they did it.

Shug said...

Most beautiful Lilies. Stargazer has always been my favorite, but if I had your yard full of Lillies, I might be tempted to have other favorites. I can smell them now!! Such a gorgeous flower and I only wish the blooms lasted a little longer. Y'all stay cool

Lady Di Tn said...

A very gorgeous array of Lillies and the colors are fantastic. So far the deer have come through the yard but have not munched on anything except my Oak Leaf Hydrangas. Silly me planted them on a DEER path. However the night bandits even though we take in the bird feeder and sweep the porch they have destroy several pots of my plants. Hope you and George stay COOL. Peace

Lowcarb team member said...

Hello Betsy
Sorry to read about the deer eating the flowers.
I enjoyed seeing all the lovely photographs you've shared.

As we say goodbye to July, I wish you a happy month of August.
My good wishes.

All the best Jan