Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, May 4, 2020

Favorite Backyard Birds - April and early May, 2020

My favorite 'migrating' bird which visits us every Spring and late Fall;  This is a gorgeous ROSE BREASTED GROSBEAK.
Dear Friends,   WELL---we made it through APRIL....  I hope and pray that May will be better and better for all of us, and that the COVID-19 Virus will go away FOREVER!!!!!!

Since I've had more time the past couple of months,  I have REALLY enjoyed sitting and watching all of our Backyard Birds eating me out of house and home!!!!! ha..... Those little critters really love to eat  (just like I do)..... BUT--they are just so much fun to watch....  I often sit on the swing watching and taking pictures,  and while watching,  I wonder what they say to each other --and to ME!!!!!!

After having wood damage to our home  (partly caused by the birds pecking on it),  we finally decided that we did NOT need to keep the Bird Feeders on the deck anymore....  SO--after many years of enjoying the birds on the deck, we moved the feeders to the backyard.... It's harder to get good pictures ---but when I'm sitting on the swing,  it's GREAT!!!!!!

Today I'll share some of my Cutie Pies for you..  All of these pictures were taken between  April 19 and May 2,  2020.... Hope you enjoy the pictures!


I love watching the BLUE JAYS snatch the peanuts in the plate feeder.  The beautiful CARDINAL waits his turn!!!!!   



Our  fat MOURNING DOVES love to 'hog' the plate --so the little CATBIRD decided to go after the suet on another feeder!!!!!   (NOTE:  Have you ever heard a Catbird's Call????  He sounds just like big kitty cat!!!!!)



I love this picture!!!!  Mrs. CARDINAL is wondering why Mr. PILEATED WOODPECKER  is SO BIG..... ha ha...(See Daddy CARDINAL perched on top????)



I love this picture of the BLUE JAY.... Such pretty birds!!!  Some people don't like Blue Jays --but I DO....  They are SO much fun to watch.. Sometimes they put more than one peanut in their mouths at the same time ---or TRY to...  They must think they are a chipmunk!!!!!! ha


This is not a great picture,  but I wanted to show you another neat Woodpecker,   the RED BELLIED WOODPECKER.   Before I bought the new Suet feeder,  he was eating the suet from the ends of the red house feeder.   I'm sure he will like the new feeder much better!!!!  (See the CARDINAL in this picture???!!!)



GOLDFINCHES anyone?????   We have LOTS of them around here....  They have their own feeder (Nyjer)--but they still love the Plate Feeder!



The KING of our Yard year-round is the EASTERN BLUEBIRD...   He stands guard over the backyard!!!!!!  Our Bluebirds have their own feeder in the Bird Kitchen.  They love Mealworms --so that's what they get.  Below is a male CARDINAL....  All of our birds are like me!!!  They like "anything"  Peanut Butter.  I use Peanut Delight Suet --and most birds will eat it.



Another good picture of the male ROSE BREASTED GROSBEAK   (Haven't seen the female yet)



A NORTHERN FLICKER WOODPECKER;  I laughed at this one since he couldn't quite learn how to jump on the new Suet feeder yet... (This was the first day I had the new suet feeder up.)



NEW BIRD FOR ME:  A SUMMER TANAGER!!!!!   I saw this bird on 4/27 ---and you've never EVER seen me anymore excited --getting to see this Cutie!!!!  What a gorgeous little bird!!!!   I was so excited that not only did I post this on Facebook,  but I also told all of my kids--and I even put it on the Fairfield Glade Bird Site on Facebook....   SUCH JOY!!!!!



Here's a better view of my new Suet Feeder...  It is a double Suet-Cake one--and heavy enough so that it doesn't swing back and forth much.  The Woodpeckers love it.   Here is a picture of a HAIRY WOODPECKER at that new feeder.    AND--of course My BLUE JAY just had to be in the picture also!!!!!! ha



One more picture of my newest Bird,  a SUMMER TANAGER.   Isn't he adorable?



Beautiful MALE CARDINAL   (Wipe your mouth, Messy One!!!)
WELL---that is enough for today!!!! We always have a great variety of birds --so I'm sure I'll have MORE to share in future blog posts.....I'm waiting to get pictures of the female Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks before they leave.   I'm also waiting to get pictures of an Indigo Bunting  --and even though I've seen a beautiful Red-Headed Woodpecker,  I haven't gotten his picture yet......  SO---guess I'll keep enjoying myself while "Swangin" on the Swing!!!!!!!

Have a great week and stay HEALTHY and SAFE.

Hugs,

20 comments:

diane b said...

You sure have a beautiful variety of birds and so colourful. I like the Blue jay and your new little friend. It is a good way to spend your time in lockdown.

Big Dude said...

Some fine shots Betsy and we've been doing a lot of bird watching as well. The Grosbeaks have been here for several days and they are really pretty.

Ann said...

What a delight to have so many wonderful birds visiting your feeders. I can't blame you for moving the feeders.
That summer tanager is beautiful. I've never seen one before.

George said...

You got some great pictures of the birds at the newly-renovated bird kitchen. You certainly never have to worry about not having any customers.

Marcia said...

I'll have to look up the summer tanager. Ii've seen scarlet tanagers only a couple of times. They like the deep woods I understand and housing developments have reduced acreage for them.

All your pics are great.

Did you read our big news? We are moving! Details on my blog.

Arkansas Patti said...

You really have a variety at the many feeders. Had to laugh at the Gold Finches. My yard looked like it had suddenly been covered with yellow flowers but it was just a yard full of finches. Right in the middle was an Indigo Bunting. That was a treat. Only the second one I have ever seen.
Enjoy your bounty.

linda m said...

Love all your bird friends. I have seen the Northern Flicker, Blue Jays, Gold Finches, Downy Woodpecker and a variety of wrens, sparrows, etc in my yard. Your pictures are fantastic.

Betsy said...

Beautiful variety of birds. Thanks for sharing with us.
Blessings,
Betsy

David said...

Betsy, Nice bird photos! Love the male red breasted grosbeak. Laurie has seen one but no photos yet. Lots of photos of the female though... Our feeders aren't set up for blue jays although we do see them in the yard. We really have to be careful about how we set up the feeders or the squirrels decimate them. Would love to see a Summer Tanager! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Ginny Hartzler said...

The Tanager & Grosbeak are my favorites, since they seem to be the most rare, and are so beautiful! Sorry about your deck, I hope the repair didn't cost too much. Your purple header & background are totally stunning!!!!!

Ruth Hiebert said...

WOW! You have a fabulous assortment of birds. I thought the red bird in one of your pictures didn’t loo like a Cardinal, but rather a Summer Tanager . Some folks have actually seen and photographed a Summer Tanager in Winnipeg . That is way out of their zone.

Beth said...

I love seeing your birds! I wish we had eastern bluebirds here - I think they're adorable! Beautiful summer tanager and rose breasted grosbeak. I've heard of the grosbeak but not the tanager. Fascinating. Our bird feeders are in front of our front bay window and we can watch them from the comfort of the living room.
I'm really enjoying reading you again. Didn't realize how much I missed the blogs.

Kay said...

Oh my gosh! I haven’t seen most of those birds since we left the mainland. We only see the mourning dove over here from that collection. Otherwise, it’s cardinals, doves, mynah birds, bulbuls, finches, parrots, sparrows, etc.

Kay said...

And LOTS of pigeons.

The Furry Gnome said...

Wonderful pictures! Can't believe you've got Bluebirds year round. And I've never seen a Summer Tanager before!

Connie said...

You have a great variety of birds to enjoy there, Betsy. Lovely photos!

Beatriz said...

Hi Betsy, how are you doing?

It's amazing to have so many birds as gests, isn't it?
you are there in early spring and this is a good sign that better days are coming. Unfortunately, this Covid-19 affected everyone on the planet, but let's move on and be protected!

Hugs from Brazil!

Bia
www.biaviagemambiental.blogspot.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Oh Betsy, how lovely to see your colourful birds.
Thanks for sharing such lovely photographs.

Happy May Wishes.

All the best Jan

Dee said...

Dear Betsy, thanks so much for the photographs as well as the names. I've tried to use the Field guides for birds but I simply can't recognize them from that. But your "up-close-and-personal" photos with the names helps me so much to know which bird is which.

I've never been good about feeding birds, just two feeders on a shepherd's staff with the feeders filled with sunflower hearts. (The squirrels love that!) I don't seem to get your variety of birds and was glad to see the tanager and others.

Now I'm thinking I need to do the suet. My brother and sister-in-law are great friends of birds and they go to the Tractor Company to get the food. Because I no longer drive, I'll ask them to pick up some suet for me. Thanks so much for the inspiration. I thank you . . . and the birds thank you! Peace.

Jeevan said...

These are very cute images of the cute little birds on your backyard and you captured it all pretty neat and glad you enjoy them while swinging. Hope you continue to stay safe and kept away from the virus.
Take care