Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, September 16, 2019

Peaks of Otter, Virginia (8/5/19) -- Part I

Beautiful Peaks of Otter (from the other side of the lake), 8/5/19
Dear Friends,   We spent the day of my birthday (8/5/19) at the Peaks of Otter in Virginia, along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  During that special day,  we walked around the lake twice  --and we ate a wonderful dinner in their lodge.  IF you ever want/need a fantastic place to go just to RELAX and enjoy the views,   I highly recommend the Peaks of Otter.   For more information,  click HERE.

Since I took so many pictures,  I will divide them into TWO posts...  Today is Part I... Hope you enjoy my wonderful birthday this year!!!!!


Come and take a walk with me around Lake Abbott,  8/5/19



It's a great trail ---and is quite 'woodsy'!!!



I love seeing the REEDS growing along the lake's edge. Can you see them?



A closer view of the lodging at Peaks of Otter;  There are 3 buildings total with rooms with a view of the lake on either 1st or 2nd floor.   One can relax on their balconies ---or enjoy walking on the beautiful grounds.



Looking toward Abbott Lake from the lodge rooms



"Come on,  Sweetheart... Let's WALK"....



No matter which side of the lake we were on,   there were gorgeous views.



We didn't see any otters or herons in the water this time,  but we did see this little deer (paying no attention to us).



I always love seeing reflections in the water.



George captured this Red-winged Blackbird  (with a baby behind him),  and I'm glad he got it (since my picture of them was blurry)... Thanks, Honey



I loved the reflections --as we looked back at the people relaxing and walking on the lakeside.



See the little cabin on the right?   This was the first lodging for travelers in the 1830's. The cabin was called Polly Wood's Ordinary and was a small boarding house until the late 1850's.  Wouldn't it be neat to stay in a cabin like this??????



We had a beautiful day to walk around the lake,  enjoying the views and reflections.  Our room this time was on second floor in Building 1 (to your far left)...



Each time we walked around the lake,   we enjoyed seeing the clouds/sky/reflections.  What a gorgeous place to walk! (The building to your far left is the actual lodge where we had dinner.)
Well---that's enough pictures for one post today.... I have that many more to show you in another post in a week or two--including a picture of my fantastic Birthday Dinner at their lodge....

My son, Mark,  is walking in the fundraiser for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention on Oct. 5 in Knoxville, TN, in memory of his wife, Debbie.   As most of you know,  Mark lost his beloved wife, Debbie,  to suicide caused by her Mental Illness in August of 2017.   Please remember Mark in your prayers --and if anyone would like to donate to this worthy cause,   please contact me  and I'll send you information...Thank You so very much.

Have an awesome week.

Hugs,

>

23 comments:

Ann said...

What a beautiful and peaceful place to spend your birthday.

Big Dude said...




looks like a beautiful place.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Betsy

You are looking beautiful. Love the photos of the lake and the resort.
Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week ahead!

Marcia said...

National Geographic recently published a list of the best driving vacations. Among all the ones around the world the Blue Ridge Parkway was included! I told Dan we'll have to do it! I have noted Peaks of Otter from your previous visits there so maybe we will get there yet. Lovely photos.

Judy said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures.

Chatty Crone said...

Nice your son is walking for suicide - such a hard, hard thing.
Beautiful area.
sandie♥

very_inky_fingers said...

I love your pictures...especially the Blue Ridge Parkway area because I truly want to get there someday!! We drive up and down 81 to and from Massachusetts/ Florida and it is a straight shot through. SOMEDAY I will get to turn off and see the real world but until then... I have your photos.

Prayers lifted for Mark. We have suicide in our family, a cousin, and it is devastating! Mary

David said...

Betsy, Looks like a lovely place. You and George seem to be very happy staying in one place for a bit, hiking/walking and relaxing while we like to be on the move from one sight or attraction to another although we have gotten better at staying in a hotel for a couple of days and basing our explorations from there. We'll be visiting the Blue Ridge soon... Hope your birthday was the best! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Betsy said...

Beautiful pictures of your birthday trip Betsy. Thank you for sharing an area that I will probably never see in person so your photos are extra special to me.
Blessings,
Betsy

Arkansas Patti said...

What a beautiful place and you walked around the lake twice. Proud of you girl. Loved the reflections and adore that little deer. They are my favorite.
Mark is in my prayers and it is so good that he is being active in Suicide Prevention.

Fun60 said...

You are looking younger than ever. It must have something to do with that wonderful husband of yours and these fantastic places he takes you to visit.

William Kendall said...

A beautiful place for a hike!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love these pictures Betsy! Mostly because this is so close to us, yet we have never been. So now I get to really see it all!! My favorite pictures are the beautiful water ones.

George said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday at this wonderful lodge along the Blue Ridge Parkway. But I hope we don't have to wait until you have another birthday before we can go back!

The Furry Gnome said...

I could even ride down that trail in my wheelchait!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh my word! These pictures are gorgeous. What a fantastic place to celebrate a birthday, or any other day!

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing your birthday trip. I said a little prayer for Mark.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hello Betsy
What a fabulous birthday trip you had.
I did enjoy seeing all of your photographs. The views and reflections are simply wonderful.

Well done to your son Mark, as he plans and prepares to walk on October 5th, I certainly will remember him in my prayers.

All the best Jan

Tanza Erlambang said...

beautiful views....
love the lake

Jeevan said...

Totally mesmerizing capture on the place that looks awesome to stay and enjoy the pretty green landscape, lake and mountains!! The reflections are quite wonderful to admire and i'm glad you enjoyed your birthday this way... Beautiful beautiful

Linda G. said...

The accommodation reminds me of the buildings at The Nature Inn in Bald Eagle State Park here in PA. The rooms there look out on a lake as well.

Dee said...

Dear Betsy, thanks so much for directing our attention to the reflections in the lake. Once you did that, I kept looking and my they are so lovely. I'd like a jigsaw puzzle of one of them! Peace.

Connie said...

Lovely photos, Betsy! What a peaceful and pretty place to celebrate your birthday!