Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Follow Me on a GREAT Birthday Trip!!!!!!

Along Skyline Drive at the Timber Hollow overlook on 8/8/19
Dear Friends,   We are home after an awesome trip to Virginia..... I have a 'gazillion' pictures to go through ---but spent Monday just picking out pictures of me taken this past week ---so that I could take you on my journey today...   Prepare yourself for some EXERCISE --and be sure to take your water!!!!!!!   Here we go........



Our first stop on my Birthday (8/5):    We stopped for one night at the PEAKS of OTTER  Resort on the Blue Ridge  Parkway near Buchanan, VA.   We love that place ---and had time for two walks around the lake  (one before dinner and one after dinner at sunset).    



My delicious Birthday Dinner that night at the Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant;   I had a salad,  green beans,  and one of the best Pork Chops I've eaten in a long time....YUM!!!  It was huge ---so a bunch of it went into our cooler to take home for another meal.    BUT---since it was my Birthday and since there are no calories on one's birthday,   I splurged and ate some Blackberry Cobbler with Vanilla Ice Cream for dessert.... (It is a good thing that we walked for 2 miles  after eating that dessert... ha ha)



NO---I'm not burning up in the campfire (although it looks like it)..... We just enjoyed sitting around the campfire --after that big meal and walk!!!!!!



The next day (8/6) ---we were mostly 'on the road' ---but did manage to stop at some overlooks along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  This picture was taken at the Onion Mountain Overlook.   We also took a short walk so that George could get some pictures of  the cascades at Falling Waters Cascade Overlook.



We made it to SKYLAND RESORT  (off of Skyline Drive) near Luray, VA about 3:30 pm...   This was the view we had of the Shenandoah Valley from our room at Skyland.   We enjoyed some hot tea and relaxed a bit before going to dinner.   Isn't this view GORGEOUS?



The next day (Aug 7) ---we took a 1.3 mile hike on the Limberlost Trail off of Skyline Drive not far from Skyland...  What a neat little trail in the woods..... The path was well-maintained,  smooth,  fairly flat,  and there were benches all along the way... 


Along the Limberlost Trail,   the vegetation was so rich and fertile...  Seeing all of the ferns made me think I was in Paradise!




We loved watching the sunsets all three nights we were there... This night (8/7) was definitely my favorite!!!!!   George snapped this picture of me sitting on the steps taking pictures and enjoying God's beauty.


This is what I was looking at in the picture above..... What a gorgeous sunset that evening (8/7),   as it gradually disappeared over the Shenandoah Valley.



On 8/8---we took a couple of hikes... This first one (my favorite hike of the entire week) was  to the summit at   Little Stony Man mountain.   The hike wasn't that long ---but it was UP UP UP.....  I hadn't done any elevation hiking since my Ablation (June 13)---and was so proud of myself for being able to do it... George took this picture of me while we were on the Appalachian Trail on that hike up the mountain.  



We made it to the summit  (Little Stony Man).    SO SO SO gorgeous up there --but VERY windy  (which really felt good after that hike UP)...Elevation here was 3642 feet.... The elevation climb was 450 feet.  I could have sat  up there FOREVER!!!!!!  



After hiking down the mountain  (much easier--ha),   we drove on Skyline Drive and stopped at some overlooks.   This picture was taken when we hiked a short distance and got to Crescent Rock.    (Seems like this ole' mountain gal loves gorgeous views while sitting/standing on some rock cliffs!!!!! ha)



On our 2nd hike of the day,  we went on the Millers Head Trail looking for another overlook.  George took my picture around the pretty yellow flowers   (which incidentally were blooming EVERYWHERE we stopped this week).  WELL--I didn't do as well on this one since the hike was DOWN first and then back UP.... I hike better when I can go UP first.... I was also HOT (afternoon heat) and I was getting tired.   This hike was hard!   



On the Millers Head hike,  We stopped so that I would rest... I sat on a rock with a big hole under my back-side.... I told George I was sitting on the potty.... ha ha ha



Us  at Little Stony Man Cliffs (8/8/19);   A nice young man who reminded me of my hiking son, Mark,  asked if he could take our picture... Of course,  we said YES.  It was so windy that my hair was sticking out all over... I posted a funnier picture showing my wind-blown hair on Facebook last week..... I don't have a lot of hair --but it looked hilarious!!!!
OKAY---enough for today!!!!!   Hope you enjoyed my week with me!!!!!!   There are still two more days before getting home on 8/10.... We drove to Asheville on the 9th,  spent the night in a motel,  and visited BILTMORE on the morning of the 10th before heading home....   As usual,  I  have some great pictures from Biltmore --but I'll show them in another post!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed my Birthday Trip....  Hope you have had a great week.... My advice to all who are trying to stay healthy:   Get out in nature and enjoy this beautiful world.

Hugs,

25 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Well that was some trip Betsy and you are looking so well. It is wonderful that both your and George are healthy enough to do all that walking Have a great week ahead.

Ann said...

What a wonderful birthday celebration you had. Thanks for taking us along.

Betsy said...

Great pictures! I am so glad you visited my home state of Va.. Beautiful areas for sure. You both are looking good and fit. I need to hike more I guess. I wish I would get over my fear of seeing a snake or bear though.
betsy

George said...

I hope your birthday tip was as wonderful as these pictures make it out to be. I also hope we can do it again next year!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How perfect for your birthday trip. You love the same beautiful mountains that I love. I'm proud of you for all the hiking and so happy you felt good to do them. That's quite an accomplishment for anyone! Love your smiling face and the view off that balcony. The woods are calling me! Hugs!

Chatty Crone said...

It looks like a great time. I have to say I love your hair - better than ever!! So which area did you like better? Otter or Skyland? I love your header - the Queen Elizabeth Roses!! Loved it. Sandie

linda m said...

What a wonderful trip and fantastic way to spend your Birthday. So happy you had a wonderful time and are feeling so much better.

Big Dude said...

Looks like another great visit in YOUR mountains

Arkansas Patti said...

Now that is how to celebrate. Glad you weren't burned at the stake and my that pork chop looked huge:)) It is wonderful that you feel well enough for a bit of hiking now. Keep up that great health.

Betsy said...

Your birthday trip looks like it was absolutely wonderful Betsy. The scenery is breathtaking and you look so very happy. Congratulations on reaching another year on this wonderful earth God created. I know it was a difficult one for you and things are looking so much better for you now. Enjoy!
Happy BIrthday again, just a little late. Just keep celebrating!!!!
Blessings,
Betsy

LV said...

I enjoyed every step of the way. I could never do what you do.Just do not exercise like I should. Glad you had a fun birthday. I will be 90 the 25th of this month.

David said...

Hi Betsy, Nice grouping of photos! Terrific birthday adventure too... The pork chop dinner looks amazing. I love a good pork chop but so many times, restaurants overcook them. That view from Skyline Resort is amazing! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wonderful pictures, Betsy! I love the picture of you on the steps in the beautiful light. This reminds me of that old book "Girl Of The Limberlost". It makes me exhausted just looking at your post!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Sounds like a wonderful birthday trip--gorgeous weather and stunning views, and I'm so impressed by all the hiking you and George got in. You must be in great shape.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful views, and quite a trip to make!

Ruth Hiebert said...

That was fun and I'm not one bit tired from all that walking. Ha! Ha! I am so glad that you can be back in your element, enjoying those hikes and the beauty you see there.

The Furry Gnome said...

You're very photogenic! Where was George?

Sandi said...

Lovely photos, Betsy! That view!!!

Linda said...

Great set of pictures! Glad you had such a lovely trip!

Lady Fi said...

Looks like a fabulous birthday trip! You deserve it!

BeachGypsy said...

Well happy happy happy birthday my friend!! Looks like you HAD A GREAT ONE!! Loved seeing all the pictures, looks like y'all were having a ball! I love the pretty sunset picture and my favorites are of y'all hiking and you sitting there , all perched up tall and proud on those summits!!--you look adorable. Your b/day supper looked delicious and I love the view where y'all spent nights. I love to stop at the overlooks and make pictures too. When I was young and strong and limber, we used to hike those mountain trails with our kids, we sure had some good times and some great hikes, sometimes my parents even came along and I will always treasure those memories and those pictures forever. I've been to West Virginia, but not for hiking, we went white water rafting. And camping. Most all our other hiking was in Georgia, and Tennessee.Love the beautiful scenery in your post.

Barb said...

Happy Happy Birthday, Betsy! You look like one happy gal. Those hikes were fabulous. I’m happy you feel well enough to do them. I can’t believe the size of that pork chop! Good times and great memories.

Connie said...

Great pictures, Betsy! Looks like you had a fantastic birthday trip. I love all those scenic views.

diane b said...

Great shots of you enjoying nature. I can see you did have a happy birthday. Well done doing all that hiking.

Lowcarb team member said...

Dear Betsy, what a wonderful birthday celebration you had. I really enjoyed coming along with you (and George) through all the wonderful photographs you've shared.
Well done on all the walks and hikes. Yes, I agree with you, we need to get out in nature and enjoy our world, there is beauty out there :)

All the best Jan