Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to APRIL!!!! Spring is AWESOME. Enjoy some beautiful TULIPS from Biltmore!!

Monday, July 30, 2018

LILIES in our YARD 2018

BLACK BEAUTY TIGER LILIES  7-24-18
Hello Friends---WELL--it is almost AUGUST!!!!   July here in Tennessee ended up being good when it comes to the weather... We had some rain (which we needed) --AND  we had some cooler temperatures with less humidity!!   AWESOME!!!!    BUT--what will August bring us????  I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Today I am featuring the LILIES that bloomed in our yard this year.  This year we only had 12 varieties which bloomed --but most of them were really pretty.   We used to have many more Lilies  (and Tulips) than we do now.   The deer love to eat the buds, and also the ground critters (chipmunks and squirrels) also love to dig up the bulbs thinking they are nuts or acorns.   SO--we have been losing the battle with our Lilies and Tulips.

Since Lilies are one of my favorite flowers,  we are trying something different for next Summer.... I'll let you know how it works out.....

Hope you enjoy seeing our LILIES..  Get a favorite beverage,  sit back and enjoy!!!!


MONTENEGRO LILIES  6-2-18



ORANGE ELECTRIC LILY  6-9-18



ROSELLA'S DREAM LILIES  6-9-18



SARINA LILY  6-12-18



ROSELLA'S DREAM LILIES  6-15-18



PINK PERFECTION LILY 6-15-18



PINK LEMONADE  LILY 6-16-18



GOLDEN SPLENDOR LILY 6-22-18



PURPLE PRINCE LILY 6-25-18



LILIUM LEICHTLINII  TIGER LILIES 6-29-18



MUSCADET LILIES 7-3-18



STARGAZER LILY 7-6-18


GOLDEN SPLENDOR LILIES  6-23-18



BLACK BEAUTY TIGER LILY 7-10-18   (This is a close-up of the group of lilies at the top of this post today.)



GOLD BAND LILY  7-6-18



CANNA LILIES  (up close and personal)  7-4-18



Our entire bed of CANNA LILIES in bloom 7-7-18
Well, my Friends,  do you have a favorite???  It's hard for me to choose a favorite --but I will say that the Cannas are prettier this year than they have ever been.   I love their foliage as much as the blooms.   I guess the abundant rain helped.   And, even though they have never been my favorites,  both varieties of Tiger Lilies did well this year.  AND--I also love Rosella's Dream Lilies... And --my list goes on and on.

Have a wonderful week.

Hugs,

26 comments:

Ann said...

They are all gorgeous. Too bad the critters like to dine on them. Hope your plan for next year helps.

Rita said...

I tried to pick out one of the lilies that was best but could not as they are all beautiful and unique in their own way. We have deer, raccoon, Japanese Beetles and so on. I have sprayed and kept as many flowers as I can. Some I emptied the pots and washed them preparing for next year. :) The raccoons especially do not like the Liquid Fence and it has saved many flowers. Take care and have a great day!

George said...

We may have lost some lilies to all the critters around here, we certainly had some beauties bloom for us. You got great pictures.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your lilies would not last in our yard. I think the deer love them.

My favorite is the Canna lily. But, they are all gorgeous! Enjoy your day and new week ahead!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I would never know you lost a bunch to the critters, you have so many different ones! You are your own botanical garden! My favorites...first I was definitely going to say montenegros, then Orange Electric, then the yellow Tigers, and so on! They are all stunning, but my very favorite has to be the yellow Tigers!! I have never seen any, so they must not be common. I adore them, what a treat! Now, I have to know WHAT is your new plan for the critters? A friend used to have this problem with chipmunks. Her poor husband would trap them in a live trap and drive them over 25 miles away. They say if you release them any closer, they will come back. He did this over and over, but it never worked

Marcia said...

Stargazer has always been my favorite. I'd douse it regularly to keep the deer away. If we were away deer would get to the buds. Never fail.

Betsy said...

I don’t think I can choose a favorite. They are all beautiful. Our flowers are all struggling terribly in this heat but yours are gorgeous.
Blessings,
Betsy

David said...

Betsy, I love the Gold Band Lilies best... Some friends brought flowers over a couple of nights ago...gladiolas...first time I've seen any in years! Beautiful! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Lady Fi said...

All your lilies are stunning!

linda m said...

I love all your Lilies as they add so much color to your yard.

Lowcarb team member said...

Betsy they are beautiful …
Wonderful selection and wonderful colours.
I tried my hardest to find a favourite - but couldn't!
They are all great.

Enjoy these last days of July and wishing you a good week ahead and a happy August too.

All the best Jan

Fun60 said...

I am always staggered by the wonderful range of colours you have in your yard. Sad to here the wildlife are so attracted to them so I look forward to your possible solution to the problem.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

They're all too beautiful to diminish any of them by picking a favorite. And your photos of them are exquisite.

Arkansas Patti said...

They are all so lovely but Orange Electric jumped out at me. So glad you have been getting some rain. We are still pretty dry here.

Chatty Crone said...

I love them all I can't really pick one favorite. So the animals are getting to them and causing you to lose some? Sad.

Ruth Hiebert said...

As I started scrolling through the pictures,I was trying to pick a favourite.That is almost impossible.Now,when I saw the Star Gazer,I knew that was it.I like it ,but Jake loved that particular lily's it has to be my favourite as well.

Shug said...

glad you all had rain....and I'm sure the lilies certainly loved it too. Gosh...each of them are so stunning. No particular favorite here....because they are ALL Favorites! I know your neighbors have to always be jealous of how gorgeous your yard always looks... Been thinking of you and George. It's been a difficult past two years. Keeping you in my prayers.

Betsy said...

Is there a secret to growing lilies such as you have? Mine stopped coming back little by little. I guess critters underground got them? Is there anything you do special for them? I guess I will have to grow mine in rat wire,

Linda P said...

All your lilies are beautiful. It's a shame that you lose some to the deer, chipmunks and squirrels, but you have so many onlookers would never know. The canna lilies are also prolific and a wonderful display in the flower bed. Your garden must look very colourful at this time of the year.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Really lovely! Thanks for sharing the beautiful flowers in your yard!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

You have so many. They are all beautiful!

Connie said...

Your lilies are so gorgeous, Betsy! So many pretty colors and varieties! We've had trouble with squirrels getting into the bulbs too.

Silver in AZ said...

Star Gazers are my favorite; the smell is amazing. But all of these are gorgeous, and I'm impressed by your working knowledge of all of the names!

Jeevan said...

These are awesome capture and visually treating bloom of lilies…. as usual I enjoyed these lilies and their connection with names. Sorry to hear about the critters damaging the bubs before they bloom brighter. Beautiful shots Betsy and hope August continue to hold the best from July

diane b said...

I like the Tiger lilies beat. It must be frustrating trying to create a magnificent garden while hungry critters keep nibbling everything.

Lady Di Tn said...

Oh what beautiful lilies you have. My favorite were Black Beauty and Rosella. When others have gotten rain I have had to water. I can see the rain showers all around the horizon in all directions but alas it just goes around us. We have a chance this weekend and I pray that the Angels with shed those watering tears on our hill. Even when the walk on cats stroll outside there are dusty trials behind them. Hard for them to sneak up on any varmit when their approach is annouced by dust. Mimi has been in the hospital and now has been in rehab two weeks. Pray that she will be strong enough to get home to her little world on top of the hill. Reason I have been missing in action. Peace