Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, March 30, 2009

Welcome to SERENITY


As some of you may remember, George and I went to a little cabin in Cosby, TN this past November to celebrate my birthday. My birthday is in August--but we had to put the trip off until November. While in Cosby, we checked out some waterfalls in the area. One of these waterfalls was Serenity Falls. Lo and behold, when we found Serenity, we found out that there were cabins there!!! I told George at the time that I really would love to stay at Serenity Falls sometime. This past Thursday ---we did it!!!! All I can say is WOW!!! What an incredible place!!!


This is a "Mom-and-Pop" business, and there are only four cabins. The owners live there also--and were so attentive to us and our needs. It was almost like the way folks are treated at a B&B. The cabins were totally stocked --including coffee, and the owner brought over some freshly baked cookies for us.


This little group of cabins is located in a little holler (as we mountain people call a hollow)... There are mountains on both sides, and that gorgeous waterfall is at the 'head' of the holler, just rolling down the mountain. In the 1800's, this little area was a thriving business which included a Grist Mill, a General Store, a Barn and a Stall. The area thrived until the Government bought the nearby land for the Great Smoky Mountains National Forest --which closed the road leading through the property.


The entire area deteriorated until this wonderful couple bought the property in the '90's ---and renovated the buildings into cute, little cabins. (Oh--how I wish that I had had that opportunity to buy this property at one time!!!!)


We stayed in Ed's Mill (and it was neat knowing that the cabin we were in was once a Grist Mill). The other three cabins were named: the General Store, Tillie's Stall, and Will's Barn. (Tillie Rose was the cow belonging to the original family, and Will was the original owner of the property).


We have LOTS of pictures from our 3 days at Serenity, and of our visits to see new waterfalls and other places in the area. I'll spread these pictures out over the next week or weeks. We did have quite a bit of rain while we were there ---but that didn't stop us from going-and-doing. BUT---with that gorgeous waterfall right outside our window, it was hard for me to want to go anywhere!!!! I felt like I was truly in heaven.


Today I will share pictures of our little cabin named Ed's Mill. Above is a picture of us --at Serenity Falls. Below are more!!! Hope you enjoy them! Be sure and click on them for larger photos.





This was our cabin--from the side, looking toward the waterfall in the distance. Isn't it just gorgeous?







You are just not going to believe this---but this big picture-window was in our cabin. We could sit and watch Serenity Falls FROM our comfy sofa or chairs. Isn't that truly just unbelievable???? Can you just imagine how a couple of waterfall-lovers like us felt just watching that waterfall for THREE days!!!! WOW!!!









This picture was taken from our deck--looking toward the waterfall.









This is a picture taken from the waterfall, looking back toward our cabin. You can see the front porch on the left and the deck on the right. AND--you can see that BIG picture-window where we could view the waterfall.







This picture was taken from the sofa --looking toward the deck. As you can see, there's another large window looking out on the deck. We had a flat-screen TV and a gas-log fireplace.









This picture was taken from the other side (where the TV is) ---looking toward the front of the house and the comfy sofa!!







The kitchen was loaded with everyone we needed. The living/dining/kitchen were all in the same room--and this worked out very well for us.







This was our bedroom.. The cabin was decorated so nicely--with great pictures, antique furniture, and comfy beds.







I just had to take a picture of this old antique dresser. I'm sure that 'antique-lovers' would love to have this piece of furniture. We also loved the hardwood flowers throughout the cabin.







This was the 2nd bedroom.. Quilt-lovers would love seeing all of the qults throughout the cabin. The cabin could easily sleep six people since the sofa was a sleeper sofa.


Hope you enjoyed my little tour of "Ed's Mill".. I truly thought I was in HEAVEN!!!!
Hugs,

61 comments:

Unknown said...

I can see why and how you fell in love with this place! Love the picture window looking out at the fall....what a cute cabin and looks so cozy!!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Betsy: What a neat photo of the falls through the picture window. It is as pretty as a picture when you get the falls view. Thanks for sharing your neat trip.

Kim said...

What a beautiful cabin! I love your window view. Very cute inside too!

Leedra said...

I don't know how you ever left the seat in front of the window. With all the rain we have been having I would have just been sitting right there watching that waterfall from that comfortable seat. I am sure you are going to have lots more photos to show us you did get out of that seat. I thought of you while you were gone, even mentioned to Jimmy that you two were trying to see waterfalls during all this rain. Glad you are back.

Cedar ... said...

WOW,... that is a wonderful spot for a romantic weekend or even better a week,... heck, just move in and LIVE there! I'm so glad you had fun.

SmilingSally said...

The "old antique dresser" was EXACTLY like the one I used as a child. It looks like it's the perfect place for you two to enjoy.

Tina said...

Betsy,
I, too, would have been quite impressed with the location of this neat little cabin!! Can't believe the views you have from inside!!! Maybe this will become you new best favorite place to visit!!
Glad you got out even tho you had some rain..
Love the pictures...looks so inviting!!

Beth said...

Oh my goodness, Betsy, what a lovely place! Serenity indeed. I can just imagine how heavenly it would be to sit on that deck in warm weather and look at that waterfall and listen to the sweet music of falling water...heck, I'd probably sleep out there! I'll bet you sat and drank your coffee in front of that picture window every morning...like Leedra said, I don't know how you made yourself leave that spot! I look forward to seeing your other pictures.

Shelley said...

Betsy - that view of the falls from that huge picture window is wonderful!!! I can see why you wouldn't want to leave the cabin! What a great place you stayed at - loved hearing the history of the cabin and glad you & George had a nice place to stay!! also glad to have ya back! :-)
Shelley

Karin said...

I have NEVER seen something that picturesque! You did amazing advertising for them!! I would be glued to that picture window - it is a totally stunning - to sit there and take it all in. I'm so glad you had an amazing time. Welcome back! Love all your pictures! You have an eye for amazing beauty.

Thanks and hugs,
Karin

Jessica said...

Wow.... I would love to stay there. I'm going to look up the town and see how far this is from us. Does this place have a website?

Jessica said...

I did a search and found their website. I also sent the link to my hubby at work.... hint hint. Think it will work?

Susie said...

Betsy I'm glad you guys made it back home safely but it must of been hard for you to leave. That is a beautiful cabin. During the rain I don't think I would have moved from the picture window.

Thanks for taking us on the trip. I loved it!

Loran said...

That has got to be one of the best views from a picture window on the planet! What a beautiful place for a vacation.

I Am Woody said...

Beautiful - what a great place to get away from it all!!

Kathleen McQueen Wright said...

Such a beautiful place!
I wish I had the view of the waterfall!

Pigeon said...

I am completely intrigued by that picture window. I have two at my house. What a beautiful place to visit. Inside and out.

Forty Two East said...

Oh Betsy, it had to be a wonderful stay. That has to be the best picture window view I have ever seen. Beautiful!!

Mary said...

What a fantastic place to stay! I love the view from the window! Gorgeous! And of course I love the quilts on the beds :-)

Busy Bee Suz said...

How wonderful. My first thought was: THis must be heaven for you both!!!! Love that little cabin...I think it would be such a perfect relaxing vacation. WHen are we going back???

Small City Scenes said...

Oh Betsy---How wonderful. You guys..........!!! What a wonderful place to stay and that WATERFALL practically running right into the front room. Love it!!!
All the shots are great and can't wait to see more. MB

BTW--Glad you are back! MB

EG CameraGirl said...

What a beautiful place to stay. That's a fabulous view of the water fall right through the window!

Jayne said...

Wow, I bet that was just nirvana for you and George! What a grand place.

Jackie said...

Oh, my, how beautiful. I'll expect detailed directions when I book my cabin, lol

Diane said...

Hi, Betsy, What a lovely place for you to go. I'm sure looking at the waterfalls was way more enjoyable than the TV.

Cicero Sings said...

Okay, I'm REALLY jealous. What a gorgeous spot ... what a perfect get-away for you two. You seems to always manage wonderful get-aways!!!

Dave's Bird Watching Blog said...

Quite the find for waterfall lovers like you two. Wow, I'd love to take Nicole there sometime!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty spot, you guys sure know how to pick them!

Jane said...

I feel like doing a right-click-save-as on your photo of the picture window. Serenity for me will be here in about 4 weeks, I hope!

Jane

Anonymous said...

I have to agree w/ you, Betsy - This place looks and sounds absolutely Heavenly!!!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE that big picture window looking out on the waterfall! Whoever came up w/ the idea to have that window there deserves a metal of some kind, cuz that was a fantastic idea!!!
And that top photo is AWESOME!!! I love it!!! I'm so glad you two got to go there & have fun! Great!

NCmountainwoman said...

I can't imagine turning on the television when you've got those lovely falls to see and hear. What a wonderful place. Aren't you taking a chance by telling so many of us about it?

Carol Murdock said...

Betsy, I have never stayed in Cosby
but there is a group of cabins there called Garden of Eden that I have wanted to stay in. The one I like is called " lullaby water fall".
However I really like the one you stayed in better I think! Love that area of the Smokies and it's on the way to Cataloochee!
Carol

Janie said...

What a cozy little cabin, Betsy. And the view is just amazing, especially for waterfall lovers. The history of the area is fascinating, too. Glad you had such a fun time.

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hello Betsy,

What lovely pictures..I know it was great time for you..I'm so ready to get there..LOL

Thanks for being my weather lady!

Stephanie
Queen of Dreamsz

Deborah Godin said...

Wow wow wow! All that, and fresh cookies too?! And that view is to die for! All I can say is the next vacation I take, I'm consulting with you guys first!

Becca's Dirt said...

What a fabulous place. I can see why you would want to stay in and view the waterfall. So serene. I need to find this place.

Diane AZ said...

I've never seen anything like that picture window view of the waterfall, it is truly unbelievable. I'm so happy that you and George had that wonderful experience, and are sharing with us, so we can enjoy it to!

Judy said...

This truly looks like such a great place to stay. I could curl up with a book and just sit there and look at the falls and read and enjoy the place. I love it!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

O.K. now I AM jealous.:)With a place like that who would want to leave.I think I could easily spend a week in a place like that.
Blessings,Ruth

The Birdlady said...

What a lovely place! And I think those "stair-step" waterfalls are my favorite I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

What a paradise for two waterfall enthusiasts like you. I appreciate you sharing all the photos - it's nice to see places we will never get the chance to visit. Such cute cabins and a great kitchen and what a view. So glad you were able to visit there.

lola said...

Betsy, I am completely without words. That is the most fantastic place I have ever seen. I think you were truly in Heaven.
I would love to stay there. That waterfall is beyond words.
I'm so happy for you that you got to stay there. I bet you'll be going back there.

MNGarden said...

The waterfall picture window is a fabulous example of what one should be. What a treat to experience it.

Sunny said...

Oh my! Betsy, thankyou for taking us along via your fabulous photos! I love that the gorgeous waterfall was right out your picture window!

And don't you two look so happy cute and relaxed! What a nice cozy place to spend a few days at....or more.

I could write a book there. I bet the sounds of Nature were wonderful!

Hugs.

Unknown said...

That's quite the view. Talk about a slice of paradise!

Anonymous said...

What a great place to stay..I am glad you had a good time you love birds you...Michelle

Unknown said...

Talk about a ROOM WITH A VIEW! That's an incredible little cabin. How serene and relaxing. Thanks for telling us about it.
Happy Twirls

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's the greatest view Betsy from a really really cute cabin. That would be a great place to spend some time.

Lagean Ellis said...

Oh, Betsy, how wonderful! Ollie and I will have to go. It can't be too far from us.
I am so jealous! I don't think I'd want to leave the room and how often do you get such a view without having to climb the slopes? I could vacation here with my injury!
I can't wait to show Ollie these pics and see the others to come!
Thank you!
Talk to you soon!

Gena

Lagean Ellis said...

Betsy,
I forgot to tell you! When I visited Ollie's this past weekend, I took along my camera and got some great shots of the river. I take pics the old fashioned way, so I'll post them as soon as they are developed.
You're going to like them!

Gena

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What a breathtakingly beautiful utopia...
You take the BEST pictures of your travels, I study them, and feel as though I have been on the trip with you !
Hey...not a bad idea :)
Great post !

Patty said...

Oh I am drooling. I have to get back that way soon for a visit.
To bad I didn't know you (read your blog) when I was living in Knoxville, you seem to know all the best places to visit!

Grammy said...

That is truly awesome, Betsy. I love the view of the waterfall from your cabin.

Tootie said...

And I thought I lived in paradise. :-) Wow, that is a wonderful place. You described it so well. I can just imagine, sitting there listening to the relaxing sound of the water fall. Thanks for sharing it.

Michele said...

So beautiful... truly an oasis away from the hectic life of the city.

I just love the waterfall view from the window. I would be absolutely mesmerized in one spot and not want to go anywhere. How soothing is that!!

Such beautiful photos, a wonderful place indeed!

Hugs to you both♥

Rose said...

It would have been so hard to leave that place! It looks perfect! Love the view out that window!

Pat - Arkansas said...

WOW, WOW, WOW! What a wonderful, beautiful place!! I need to start saving my shekels for a trip to TN! I could sit in front of that picture window for hours, I'm sure!

dot said...

Gorgeous pictures! I love the one of the falls through the window.

Gill - That British Woman said...

not sure if we can afford to go away this year, with buying the new house, but if we do, we maybe should check out this area, asa it looks like my type of place to stay.

Gill in Canada

Connie said...

Wow! Quite an amazing place. I LOVE that big picture window. :D

Clara....in TN said...

Oh my goodness Betsy. I think you did find a little peice of Heaven! I want to go there. (To this little piece and to the real thing) LOL