Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, May 23, 2016

Our Annual Vacation to the Beach --May 15-20, 2016

Hello Blog Friends,  As many of you know,  we went on vacation last week to one of our favorite places,  the Islander Inn at Ocean Isle Beach,  North Carolina.   I'm a 'mountain gal' at heart ---but just HAVE to get to the beach once or twice a year.  We've been to this location in May for the past 10+ years ----and a few years ago,  we added a trip there also in early December.  I wouldn't want to "live" permanently at the beach --but getting my 'beach fix' once or twice a year is PERFECT for me.

I say this most every year,  but THIS year seemed to be one of our BEST trips there (even with a few 'negatives' in the mix).   The negatives:  weather (only saw the sun one morning during our time there, and it was very COOOOOOLLL);  too many people  (we went later in the month than we usually go --and the Inn was full, and you know how much we don't like crowds);  too many barking ("YAPPY") dogs...  An ASIDE:  I love dogs,  but I don't understand why adults can't train their dogs NOT to bark NON-STOP.... Gads!!!!  Kids screaming and having fun didn't bother me nearly as much as the constant and continuous barking dogs...

NOW--put all of the 'negatives'  away ---and realize that if you are George and me,  you know how to make the best of all situations...  Here are the positives:  We did enjoy the beach (sitting and walking) despite the weather --and it never did rain much;   We had jackets and sweatshirts with us so we didn't get too cold;  The weather could have been MUCH worse;  We didn't need sunscreen at all on this trip (HA HA);  The best news pertaining to the weather was that we were able to get more relaxing done --including sleeping,  reading,  just vegging out!!!!!  Both of us GO-GO-GO in our normal lives,  so just total relaxation was NEEDED and we loved it!

Another great positive was the fact that we found a new-to-us awesome PARK  (Sunset Beach Town Park) where there were very few people and where we could walk,  sit or swing with a view of the water,  listen to and watch the birds, and  enjoy one of the neatest patriotic monuments I have ever seen....  We could get away from the crowds at this park ----so we went there several times.... LOVED it.

Today,  I'll share some pictures from this awesome vacation--including a hike to see some waterfalls on the first day.   The picture at the top though is one of my favorite memories.  We are sitting on one of the many comfy swings at the park... It was so enjoyable and ROMANTIC.


We hiked about 2+ miles in the mountains of North Georgia (near Clayton) on May 15 --and saw 3 waterfalls and some huge cascades.  We hiked on the  Holcomb Creek Trail --and saw  Holcomb Creek Falls,  Ammons Creek Falls (where this picture was taken) and  Upper Holcomb Creek Falls.



One of the beauties about hiking in the mountains this time of year is seeing all of the wildflowers and bushes in bloom.  This is MOUNTAIN LAUREL --and it was gorgeous in those mountains.



This is our home away from home,  the Islander Inn at Ocean Isle beach, NC.  We enjoyed leaving our door opened the entire time (including nights) just to hear the roar of the ocean... That makes for GREAT sleeping, you know.  We also enjoyed eating and also doing our devotions on our balcony....



Right after we checked into our room on May 16,  we took a walk on the beach (one of our favorite things to do).  I love watching the swell of the waves as they crash into shore.



Our VERY favorite seafood restaurant is in Calabash,  NC.. Its name is DOCKSIDE --and George says that we go to the beach JUST to go to Dockside... ha ha... This is a side view of Dockside from the pier --where they bring all of that fresh seafood in that we enjoy so much.



From the pier near Dockside Seafood Restaurant,  I was looking the other direction showing you more of the fishing boats and the beautiful water. 



The first night we were there is when we just happened to find this awesome little park (Sunset Beach Town Park).. It is located between Calabash (where our favorite restaurants are) and Ocean Isle --so it's in a perfect location.  I was thrilled just to cuddle with my Sweetheart on that swing every time we were there.



There were a few times when the weather was good enough to take off the jackets and enjoy walking on the beach.



We took many pictures from the PARK... I loved this one  showing that reflection of the little Palm Tree.



I loved this picture of George paying tribute to our awesome FLAG.  This patriotic monument was honoring all of the veterans who fought for our freedoms.  Don't you love the statue?  I could do an entire blog post (and MAY) about this monument.  We stopped and payed our respects every time we were at that park.



Some nice lady volunteered to take our picture one day when we were taking our walk on the beach.



Another view from the PARK:  Again,  the reflections were perfect that day!



Guess where we are?   IF you have ever been to Calabash,  North Carolina,  you MUST have visited the Calabash Creamery for some homemade Ice Cream.... WELL---we were there one evening---maybe two---maybe THREE.....   Someone told me once that CALORIES don't count when one is on vacation.  I'm sure they are correct,  aren't they?????? ha ha



Do you think this old woman loves ICE CREAM??????   YUMMMMMMM... (Yes--I do!!!!).. This flavor was called Cheesecake.... Oh My HEART!!!!!



On the water at Sunset Beach Town Park,  May 18, 2016.   (If you can see the bridge in the distance,  that is the bridge to Ocean Isle Beach.)
Well----that gives you a synopsis of our wonderful trip.  The worst part was coming home with a terrible Stomach Virus/Bug/Food Poisoning.. BOTH of us got sick on the way home on the 20th...  Needless to say,  that part was NOT fun --but I was glad we were HOME when it hit hard!  We are both fine today (other than no energy at all and still feeling weak).   OKAY----forget that part,  and just remember what a marvelous trip we had this year!!!!  Thanks be to God for my life with George and all of the great times we have together.

Hugs to All,

42 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Betsy Well I feel as if I was on that wonderful trip with your and George from watching these gogrgeous photographs.Some of my favourite ones wee those with the perfect reflections and seeing you and George on that swing and so happy and still so much in love. . Wonderful post and I hope you both have a wonderful week ahead and are soon recovered from the 'bug' that has made you both weak.

Ann said...

You two manage to have a wonderful time no matter where you go and I must say it's not where you are but who you are with that makes the difference. The two of you are an inspiration.

Big Dude said...

Looks like you found ways to have a grand time in spite of the negatives.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thanks for sharing your trip! The good more than outweighs the negatives.

Great photos. Love the one the lady took of you two.

Glad you had a nice relaxing time.

Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

linda m said...

I always feel I am on your vacation with you when you post your vacation blogs. What great pictures and your descriptions are fantastic. I am so glad you got your "ocean fix" (I sure need one myself). And I am glad both you and George are feeling better today. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.

Beatriz said...

Hi Betsy!!!
You're so great in all those landscapes! Going to the beach is always a gift, isn't it? I love the mountains, and the cold sometimes (maybe because in Brazil we have more shores than big mountains).
You always have a list of great places to go. When I go to the US, I'll ask your opinion before!!!

Hugs and have a wonderful week ahead!!!

Bia
www.biaviagemambiental.blogspot.com

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

You two have such good times together. You are blessed. Those little parks can be wonderful treasures when you find them. This one sure met a need for you on this trip.

Karin said...

Glad with you that you had an amazing time and have the health and strength to participate to the fullest!

George said...

You did a great job of summarizing our wonderful beach vacation this year. Your photos are great, even if there is some old man in too many of them.

MTWaggin said...

Looks to me like a glorious time and I'm with you watching and listening to the ocean waves. LOVE IT! I adore that shot of George at the monument!

David said...

Betsy, You and George do get the most out of your trips, that's for sure! Nice photos as usual... We do like the fish dinners at Calabash but it's been a long time since we've been there. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

LV said...

So good hearing from you. As always, you two have a great time under any circumstances. You had to be a match made in heaven. Loved taking the vacation with you.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Betsy, a trip to the beach is always nice. I am a dog lover and can not stand to hear a dog barking non stop. It is very annoying. I am glad you enjoyed your trip and had a relaxing time. Great series of photos. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I loved following your vacation on facebook, Betsy and seeing more photos here. I know this is one of yours and George's favorite places to visit. It is a beautiful location and een with some negatives it sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Connie said...

I enjoyed seeing the pictures from your trip, Betsy. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! I would have loved that park with the swings. I always love a trip to the beach too.

Linda G. said...

A beach vacation is so relaxing. Life seems to move slower at the beach than anywhere else. I am sorry you got sick, but glad you feel better today. I have had the 24-hour stomach virus three times this year. It puts me out of commission for 2 days!

Ginny Hartzler said...

So many wonderful pictures here Betsy!! My favorites are Dockside (you would never guess it's a restaurant), the little palm tree picture in the park, and the last one of you and George. Plus the ice-cream one. What happened and how are you both now? I hope it was only colds. Your header is stunning!

Lady Fi said...

What a great place to relax! And keep on looking at the bright side of life...

Kay said...

You two are always so cute!

Janie said...

So sorry you caught a bug on the trip, but glad to hear it was fun. Great photos, especially the reflections. I always love the photos of you and George together. You're such a cute couple. Your matching shirts are cool, too.

Betsy said...

Betsy every time I read a post of yours I have to smile. Your coast favorite reminds me very much of where Dennis and I like to go on the Oregon coast. They look very similar too. We even have am ice cream factory and diary in TIllamook, Oregon that we always visit for the yummy ice cream. Your pictures are wonderful and full of love.
Blessings,
Betsy

Nellie said...

So glad you had a chance to go to the beach. We love seafood, and that's what I always enjoy if I'm near the ocean. It isn't a good thing to come back home with tummy problems, though. Hopefully all that is a thing of the past now. xo Nellie

Arkansas Patti said...

You make me realize I could use a beach fix. I know you had to be a bit disappointed at not having the beach to yourselves as you usually do but you made up for it. By his shirt, I'd say George is a Cub's fan. He should be thrilled with the year they are having.
Gasp--coming home sick??? How awful. It must have been a nightmare drive. Glad you are back and feeling better.

Marcia said...

Such a nice trip. We may just have to visit there someday. We have friends who retired to Calabash so we may have to make a visit there too and check out your favorite restaurant.

The Furry Gnome said...

Sounds like an absolutely wonderful vacation!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Well,you two just proved again that you don't need perfect weather or conditions to have a good time.Sounds like for the most part you had a great time.

Devilish Angel said...

Lovely couple...lovely photos...

Linda P said...

I'm happy to see you and George enjoying your vacation in such a beautiful place. Taking a holiday in a place you know and love is relaxing in itself. At the same time it's nice to find new places in the area such as the little park. So much to be grateful for. I would love the experience of being lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves. You both look well in you vacation photos although coming down with a bug at the end must have been a downer as we know ourselves. Hope you're both feeling better and getting back your energy.

Ms. A said...

Beautiful and I love the reflection shots and the statue.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I have been there with vacation and the stomach bug and it is surr one way to ruin a trip! Glad you made it home and are feeling better. Looks like you had fun.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Certainly looks like a great get away. Love the photo of you two on the beach. Sorry you had a bug catch you. Not good. So glad you had the time together on vacation.

Pat Tillett said...

You always have a good attitude, no matter what is going wrong.
Really nice photos by the both of you.

Lux G. said...

All I need to do is look at your relationship and get tips for a lasting marriage.
#RelationshipGoals :)

Small City Scenes said...

It looks land sounds like a wonderful vacations full of many things to see.
Hope ou all are feeling better now.
All great pictures.
MB

BeachGypsy said...

Hi Betsy...SO SO GLAD to meet you as well! Was very glad to see you had dropped in on my front porch for a visit. I sure enjoyed the post today about your recent trip...and love all the photos--they are great! We are in mount pleasant alot, so glad you enjoyed your visit here. Did you get to try any of our beaches? Glad you like charleston...I sure do love living here and feel so blessed every day when I wake up here. Hope y'all are feeling better and no more stomach upsets! Come back and visit soon!

diane b said...

Glad to hear that you had some good times on your vacation. Pity about the weather and the people and especially barking dogs. We have them in our street sometimes. That was a lovely park that you found. You two are so romantic it is lovely to see. bad luck about the food poisoning. Seafood is always a bit risky but it is delicious.

happyone said...

Looks like a terrific vacation. Nice that you are able to travel so much. : )
Thank you for your prayers!!

Kay said...

You are such beautiful love birds. I smile every time I visit you. Your trip is fabulous! I've never seen a mountain laurel before and it is exquisite.

Susie Swanson said...

I feel as if i was right there with ya'll. It's such a gorgeous place to be. Hope you both have a nice Memorial Day Weekend. Love and hugs, xo

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I love to see all the things y'all discover on your trips, full of adventure! I feel the same way about the beach, I am a mountain girl. Those little laurel flowers are precious! You look so happy on the bench too!

Shug said...

I enjoyed all of these adorable and fun pictures of you two. Although there was not much sun...it sure sounds like this was one of those RELAXING trips that we all need from time to time. Glad you had a great time. love you both...
shug

A Colorful World said...

Dear Betsy...such a wonderful vacation to the beach, and such a wonderful post! I am so sorry I rarely visit your blog anymore. I am falling behind with everyone, it seems, and since I see your posts on facebook, I feel like we are connected, at least. Thank you for your sweet comments lately. It's always so good to see you and George enjoying your flowers, and your trips. Take care...all my best!