Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Friday, January 6, 2012

Best of 2011: WATERFALLS

Each year in late December and early January,   I take time to go through all of my blog posts of that year ---picking out some favorite moments/photos... For the next several Fridays,  I will post some of my "Best of..."  pictures/moments.


Today I'll share some of our 2011 Waterfall pictures and experiences with you...  We love waterfalls---whether they are little ones or HUGE ones... We have seen at least 500 different waterfalls since 2001...    Above is one found up a dirt road in the mountains of North Georgia..  Its name is  JIGGERS CREEK FALLS and we loved this waterfall and its mountainous setting.  The picture was taken on 3/8/11.  Be sure and enlarge the photos for larger pictures.




We visited Amicalola Falls State Park in Dawsonville, Georgia to celebrate George's birthday.  Many of you will remember me talking about that experience... It rained 'cats and dogs' ---but we still got out and enjoyed seeing the HUGE waterfalls in the area.   AMICALOLA FALLS is a large waterfall (729 feet) on any given day---but when we saw it  (pictured above),  there was so much water coming off of that waterfall that it was hard trying to get a really good picture... We were the only ones there that morning (who else is crazy enough to get out and walk in the rain??????ha)---so we felt as if that enormous waterfall was there just for US...  I was standing on the first bridge across the waterfall --and George hiked up to the 2nd bridge above...  This picture was taken on George's birthday,  3/9/11.




On May 23rd,   we drove to the Smokies and went through Cades Cove in order to drive on the Parson's Branch Road--way back in the mountains.   We had never been there before --but other than the road being in bad shape that day,  we loved driving that dirt road back into the Smokies.  We saw several little cascades and waterfalls that day ---and the one pictured above is one of our favorites,  called TRIPLE FALLS on Parson's Branch.  Quite different from Amicalola Falls,  isn't it????? ha




We didn't see many waterfalls on our trip out west in June ---but when we got to the Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado on our way home,  we found several!!!!!  The one above is named HORSESHOE FALLS and is not far from the north entrance (near Estes Park).  We also got a picture of this waterfall from up on the mountain --while looking back.  If you missed that picture,  click HERE.  The picture above was taken on 6/25/11.




We went on a hike in the Wild Basin area of the Rocky Mountain National Park searching for  a waterfall... It was a  gorgeous hike ---and we were not disappointed when we found COPELAND FALLS...  Actually there were 2 waterfalls that we saw in that area,  but this is the upper one.  Isn't it gorgeous?  This picture was taken on 6/25/11.




On September 12, 2011,   we visited the Cuyahoga National Park in Ohio (south of Cleveland) to see BRANDYWINE FALLS.  We were so impressed with this area and waterfall.  Visit it sometime if you get a chance.  




And finally  (and it is always hard to choose only 7 as our favorites of 2011) --here is another great waterfall,  BLACKWATER FALLS,  which is in the Potomac Highlands area near Davis, West Virginia.  As is usual for us,  it had rained and was raining when we were there---which meant more water coming over the waterfalls.   What a great place...  We were there on 9/15/11.   We loved this area so much and didn't have time to see it all.. SO---we hope to go back there in March of 2012.  I chose this picture from a distance so that you could see more of the area around the falls.

As I said,  it was hard to choose only 6-7 ---because we saw many other beautiful waterfalls this past year.   But---to some of you,  a waterfall is a waterfall... To us,  it's the Ultimate of God's Glory!!!!!  I hope we see just as many beauties like this in 2012.

Have a wonderful weekend and I'll see you on Monday.
Hugs,
Betsy

63 comments:

diane b said...

You sure have seen hundreds of waterfalls.You are like storm chasers except you are waterfall chasers. These are all beautiful but I like the Copeland Falls best as I can almost hear the roar of the water. Great shots.

Tabor said...

So, have you ever written about what happened in your life that made you love waterfalls so much? These are lovely photos, but what is the story behind this passion?

DeniseinVA said...

What a great look back. You've seem some fantastic waterfalls. Have a great weekend Betsy!

Jo said...

What beautiful shots. Yes, I agree with Diane, you're waterfall chasers and we get to share these wonderful experiences. Thanks Betsy. Have a great weekend. Blessings. Jo

Jo said...

What beautiful shots. Yes, I agree with Diane, you're waterfall chasers and we get to share these wonderful experiences. Thanks Betsy. Have a great weekend. Blessings. Jo

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

What a wonderful assortment of falls! I'm impressed you saw so many.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I can't even pick a favourite from these,so I can imagine how hard it was to pick just a few to post.Waterfalls are lovely and then when one is there the sound is an added blessing.Have a great weekend.

Karin said...

These are beautiful photos, each waterfall with its own charm! God is so lavish and extravagant in the things He's created for our joy and pleasure! Awesome!

penny said...

You and George have visited so many beautiful waterfalls.. what a wonderful book your photos would make for all those who love them the way you two do.
Have a blessed weekend, Betsy.
Hugs and smiles,
Pam :)

Fred Alton said...

Fantastic Falls pictures, Betsy! That first one could easily be framed and sold if you were needing extra cash. ALL of them are beautiful. I'm glad I'm not on the judges panel to select the best one because it would be too difficult to decide which is best.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

These are gorgeous pictures! I can just imagine the tranquility you experience seeing them in person!

Anonymous said...

You do see lots of waterfalls; beautiful pictures each of them!

Cuby said...

Hello Tennessee from Cornwall UK!
My first visit here is rewarded with these beautiful waterfall photos. I like them all but my favourite is the last one in the Potomac Highlands. Who can not love to see waterfalls?

Janice K said...

Nice to see the "best" all together. I am amazed that you can remember all their names and exactly where they are. Beautiful photography!

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Just beautiful, Betsy. You and George have captured some wonderful waterfall images here.

I Am Woody said...

I thought of you guys as I drove over Monteagle a few weeks ago. The rains had caused the 'waterfalls' along the interstate to be gushing like crazy!

MadSnapper said...

i think now we can dub you and george Waterfall King and Queen. these are awesome, i can hear all that water in the one in Dawsonville, i like the Cades cove one best today

Anonymous said...

Rather than walk aimlessly, you and George were on a mission -- to find those waterfalls. It makes hiking worthwhile. Now, if only I had the stamina to hike as you do. I had so much trouble hiking at Akaka Falls this past summer. It was very difficult for me, alas. Where do you get the stamina for it?

TexWisGirl said...

i know parts of the US got such great amounts of rainfall this year, while texas saw almost none. these are like liquid hope for me for pond refilling! :)

nanny said...

You know how I love your waterfall shots....you have seen so many beautiful ones!

Connie said...

Lovely photos, Betsy. You and George were lucky to be able to travel and see so many waterfalls this year. :)

Carletta said...

Such beautiful memories of your travels! Of course you know I'm picking my own Blackwater Falls as my favorite! :)
Have a wonderful weekend!
Thank goodness we have some warm weather coming our way for the weekend.

HolleyGarden said...

These waterfalls are just magnificent! I think I like the Triple Falls the best. It looks like a good place to put your feet in!

Serenity Cove said...

A few years ago we took friends of ours down to Springer Mountain to hike the Appalachian Trail. Amicalola Falls was a trickle compared to that!
Jiggers Creek Falls is beautiful.Wish I would have known about that one but we probably wouldn't have had time anyway.

Big Dude said...

You saw some dandies and I recognized BWF as soon as I saw it.

Tami AKA My Kid's Mom said...

Great Pictures.

Sylvia K said...

I LOVE waterfalls and these are gorgeous as are your captures, Betsy! Really breathtaking! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Enjoy!

Sylvia

Photo Cache said...

great idea to post your best of the year posts.

i like the idea of chasing waterfalls as a hobby. i don't know if there are many around these parts though. but you should come in the spring in yosemite.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Girl, you've captured many beautiful waterfalls. I thank you for the tour of these lovely dancin' waters.

I for one adore and am amazed by waterfalls but I don't get off the Ponderosa much. This was fantastic!

God bless and have a fabulous weekend sweeite!!!

Ms. A said...

I love how Jiggers Creek Falls looks terraced and Brandywine Falls looks like water pouring over a stairway!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

These are all so beautiful, it would be hard to pick a favorite! I love waterfalls, but haven't seen many.
Take care and have a nice weekend!

happyone said...

It is certainly to pick a favorite. I love them all.

Kay Baughman said...

the waterfalls are all so lovely--I couldn't possibly choose a favorite!We visited Cades Cove many years ago and I liked your photos of that lovely area.
Kay

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

I just love your waterfall pictures, Betsy! You're a wonderful photographer! And to have visited all those beautiful waterfalls....it was a very good year, indeed!

Arkansas Patti said...

Think I liked Jiggers Creek the best. The name might have influenced my vote.
At least this year when it rains cats and dogs, you have your new Christmas presents to keep you dry.

Anonymous said...

Outstanding collection of waterfalls and memories of fun trips. Hope you have a nice weekend, Betsy.

carolina nana said...

Those are all beautiful falls I can see why it was hard to choose.
We have spring like weather here now which is making me nervous if you know what I mean !!!!
Blessings
Marilyn

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I am partial to N Georgia waterfalls since it reminds me of home...love all waterfalls though
Gorgeous

Diane said...

They're all beautiful. But more important than that was the time you had together searching them out. Diane

Chatty Crone said...

You have had a great year there - so many pretty waterfalls - I love waterfalls. I think the first one was my favorite. sandie

Rose said...

These are so beautiful, Betsy!!! I love the first and I think the third or fourth one down from it.

Colleen said...

I love your January revisits of the past year. As always, your pictures are awesome, Betsy. You and George must have a fantastic time searching & finding God's gifts of nature. Thank you for sharing. A blessed & healthy New Year to you & George.

SquirrelQueen said...

Betsy, you and George always find the most magnificent waterfalls no matter where you travel. All of these are gorgeous.

Happy Weekend!
Judy

Out on the prairie said...

Wonderful shots. I just reviewed some Smoky Mountain Nat. Park shots and most were waterfalls.

Cuby said...

Just signed up as a follower!:)

Christine said...

Betsy they're all beautiful! I could see where it would be hard to choose just one!

Ann said...

I can certainly understand your attraction to the waterfalls. These are all so pretty. I couldn't even say which one was my favorite. I guess I never realized just how many there are. I don't know why

Anonymous said...

How satisfying to be able to spend time where there are such magnificent waterfalls with so many happy memories for you and George. Thanks for taking us down your 'memory lane' from the past year. Have a lovely weekend!

Marci Geise said...

Very pretty, Betsy!! I have left facebook, but I hope to keep in touch through blogging!
Happy New Year!!

Mary said...

You really do find the most beauitful falls to visit. Wonderful shots!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Betsy,
I enjoyed very much the beautiful waterfall photos. What fantastic shots. You are so blessed to be able to travel and see such fantastic waterfalls. These pictures are indeed a work of art. I loved all of them.

imac said...

I always FALL for your posts Betsy.lol.

Donna said...

Beautiful, each in their unique way! I love waterfalls too.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Ohh, so beautiful. I can almost hear the rushing water! I absolutely LOVE waterfalls. I haven't seen as many as you have- just a few in Arkansas, Idaho, Colorado and Wyoming, but when DH retires I hope to see more.

A Colorful World said...

I think I like the first one the best. They are all wonderful, though.

You and George come on back out to the Tucson area, and we'll show you Old Tucson! I have a second post yet to do on our day there....

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Those are just beautiful. I'm going to look and see how far Jiggers Creek is from here. The kids love to go hiking. And if there's going to be a photo op at the end, I may consent to join them. ;)

Tracy said...

Betsy, I am always so impressed with your waterfalls...it makes me think how much spendor we have in our own back yard yet we tend to over look the beauty!
Thanks for always reminding me!

Birdman said...

Forget Niagara; love those simple, out of the way, falls too.

Neal said...

What can I say....what a way to start!!! I could not pick a favorite out of all of those!!

eileeninmd said...

Hi Betsy, hubby and I also enjoy visiting waterfalls. You have an awesome series of photos on your favorite waterfalls. They are all beautiful and much too hard to pick a favorite. Take care and have a great week!

Janie said...

Wow, you saw some amazing falls, all in one year! All of the photos are wonderful.

Valerie said...

They are all so beautiful! I can't imagine having to choose just 7 from the many you see each year!

Annesphamily said...

I love a good waterfall! Bridal Veil falls near Aspen, Colorado is gorgeous! I love to see them! Your shots here are lovely! Hugs Anne