Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Me and Maxine



I have been tagged by Mary Beth at SMALL CITY SCENES. I usually avoid these types of things, but thought, "Why Not?"--because it was almost a year ago when I last did one. I also enjoy reading these from other bloggers---since I am always wanting to get to know people on more of a personal level. Can you believe that I go to some people's blogs almost everyday, and yet--I do not even know their name. How sad is that!!! My favorite bloggers are ones I email with (in addition commenting on their blogs) and consequently, we become great friends.

SO---here goes!! I added some of my favorite added Maxinisms, to spruce up what might be a boring (to you) post.. Thanks to Mary Beth for her encouragement. AND--I encourage everyone to check out MB's blog. Click on the link above. You'll love it!!!!







Here is my list of 8 things in 8 categories (nothing is in any kind of specific order):
8 TV Shows I watch
(NOTE: Good category for me since George and I watch ALOT of TV; We watch Fox News --and I enjoy sports--but our favorite shows are here, in no particular order.)
1. "24"
2. Leverage (my all-time favorite show)
3. The Good Wife (my favorite new show this year)
4. Criminal Minds
5. NCIS and NCIS: LA
6. All of the CSI's
7. All of the Law and Orders
8. The Closer
More: House, The Mentalist, Bones----etc. etc. etc.


'



8 Places I like to Eat
1. Home--when my hubby cooks (YUM)
2. Olive Garden
3. Favorite seafood restaurants near Ocean Isle Beach: Twin Lakes, Dockside, Boundary House
4. Golden Corral in Cookeville, TN (best pot roast in the world!)
5. Hardee's (best thickburgers in the world)
6. Local Restaurants: KFC Buffet, Ryan's, our Chinese Restaurant, Cancun's Mexican, Cracker Barrel
7. Cafe UNO for Chicago Pizza
8. Steak Restaurants (Outback, Logan's, Texas Roadhouse, etc.)






8 Things I look forward to
1. Getting lots and lots of Blog Comments!!!!! YOU make my day!
2. SPRING --when our roses and spring flowers start blooming, and when we make our annual trip to the beach
3. A surprise trip planned by hubby for Valentine's Day, our trip to Mt. Nebo in Arkansas the end of February, and George's 68th birthday trip in March
4. Getting my daily emails and texts from my BFF Judy
5. Hiking and seeing many more waterfalls (we've seen about 400 since 2001)
6. Seeing new backyard birds --and getting them to my feeders
7. When I can spend time with my sons and grandchildren; Love getting texts from my sons!
8. George and my daily devotional time together with God







8 Things I like about Winter
1. Hiking --I enjoy hiking when it's cold!!!
2. Snow and Icicles; I LOVE snow!!!
3. Fires in our fireplace
4. my Electric Blanket
5. Leaves off of the trees--so that I can SEE the birds better
6. the Colder Weather (don't like HEAT and HUMIDITY)
7. my favorite holiday season, Christmas
8. lots of great football games







8 Things on my Wish List
1. Good health for many years for me and for George
2. A new camera for both George and for me, including a long lens for birding!
3. A cabin on the top of a mountain somewhere (maybe in Arkansas)
4. LOTS and LOTS more years with George
5. Traveling (eventually want to go to Alaska and to Hawaii and out west and to Canada--etc. etc. etc.)
6. Good Health for my childhood friends: Susan, Reida and Nita
7. Getting some SNOW here in Fairfield Glade (the 'wet' kind which clings to everything)
8. For success and great lives ahead for my five grandchildren







8 Things I am passionate about
1. SPORTS (especially the Vols football and basketball, and Titans football)
2. Blogging (absolutely love it --although it does take alot of time to do it right)
3. my Love for George and OUR love for God
4. Love of the USA --and praying that we vote the corrupt Congressional leaders OUT of office, while working hard to keep God in the center of all things
5. our yard (Roses and Flowers) and home, including my love of our backyard birds
6. Photography (waterfalls, birds, flowers, home, etc.)
7 Love for family and friends
8. our MAC computers!!!! Yeah Rah!







8 Things I learned from the past
(NOTE: This was definitely the hardest category for me since I don't live in the past --and really don't remember too much about it.)
1. That I am a good and worthwhile person, even though I've struggled all of my life with my weight (In past, my weight kept me from having much self-esteem, and I felt as if I had to work 24/7 to prove myself.)
2. I did not know what real love and relationship was until I met George
3. Hurts from my past are still inside of me, and come back up sometimes (even though I have dealt with them professionally through the years)
4. Ambition can get you FAR. After my divorce, I worked fulltime, got my Master's degree and raised my two younger children by myself!
5. I learned the importance of God in my life from my parents. I hope I instilled that in my sons and hope that they instill it in their children.
6. I learned that you can't dwell on the past -- and you need to live in the moment, doing the very best you can while looking toward the future.
7. From my mother, I learned the importance of Family History. I just wish I had have been more interested when Mom was alive.
8. IF I could give advice to the younger generation, I would tell them to learn to slow down and enjoy your children and your life more. My children grew up so quickly --and the time passed by so quickly. I sometimes wonder where all of those years went.







8 Things I want and/or need
(NOTE: I truly have a wonderful life now --and had trouble finding things to add!!! But--I tried!)
1. Good Health
2. A continued relationship with my God
3. More time with my sons and grandchildren
4. More TIME in my life to get things done (HA)
5. More ENERGY and Less Aches and Pains (Quit getting older!!! ha)
6. Hey, how 'bout a little less WEIGHT on me????? ha
7. NEED to be a little less passionate about my football teams ---when they LOSE; (Hubby would say AMEN to this one!!!)
8. And --one of the most important things which probably won't EVER happen: PEACE in the WORLD





I love Maxine ---and had seen some of these before... BUT--some of them are new to me. Hope you enjoyed my post ---and if you don't want to read all of the 'things' about ME, at least you can enjoy some Maxinisms.

Even though I am supposed to, I am not going to "TAG" anyone specifically. But if you would like to do this, I would love to read your ideas... Just let me know IF you are going to do it!!!!

Hope all of you have a wonderful Wednesday.. Thanks for your thoughts about my crazy foot problem!!!!

Hugs,

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

A whole bunch of people, did this meme, like you did. A lot of reading. As someone said, TMI (too much information) lol

Jane said...

Oh, these were great! I may try to do this later in the week. Hope you guys are keeping well!

Jane

pam said...

I love reading these memes. I don't ever do them, though!

Darla said...

Just disregard Abe's comment, lol. He's a guy and doesn't need TMI, it makes them think, ha. Great post Betsy!!

Beth said...

I'm like you, Betsy...I really enjoy reading these memes because they are a good way to get to know people better. And I enjoyed very much reading yours, especially the things you learned from the past. Great post!

By the way, I like Maxine, too. She appeals to my inner curmudgeon. :-)

Connie said...

Good morning, Betsy! I enjoyed learning more about you. Maxine always makes me laugh too. Hope you have a great day! :)

Big Dude said...

Great job, I'm not sure I could come up with two in each category. Your recent waterfall posts had me looking into both places yesterday, which are within a 3 hour drive. I need to get out and see these places.

Arkansas Patti said...

Nice job Betsy. Love reading memes more than doing them. They often expose areas that are never covered in a daily blog.
You and I would not fight over the remote except at news time and we totally agree about winter. Cold rules, heat needs to go farther south.
Hope your foot is feeling better.

Neal said...

Interesting....that's a lot of work! I like reading things like this but hate to do them. They make me use my brain and that hurts. :)

Small City Scenes said...

How neat, Betsy. Your Joyful Reflections shine through.
Thanks for doing this----because you did a great job.
Love Maxine too. MB

Lisa said...

One can learn plenty about a person in an hour of play!

You are a passionate, fun, caring, God-loving person. Your love for life, and for George, is an inspiration.

Amen to all your prayers, Betsy.

Dorothy said...

Betsy, I enjoyed reading all the "8 things" about you! The Maxine cartoons were great, too!!!

Roses and Lilacs said...

I love Maxine too but don't think I'd want her as a best friend.

One thing you said about learning about family history really hit home for me. I wish I would have asked my grandmothers and grandfathers more questions.
Marnie

Connie said...

Love Maxine. I was surprised to learn we have similar TV tastes. I've been reading your blog daily for almost a year now and much of your post today didn't surprise me. We've never met, but sometimes your name is mentioned to my mom, or sisters, or even hubby. When your name comes up someone will ask, "Who's Betsy?". My response is "She's my virtual friend."

PS - If you ever discover any answers to our weight issues I hope you post them.

Dar said...

Oh, that Maxine, makes us think so early in our day...ya gotta love'er.
Have a great day with the loves of your life.
Blessings Be Yours

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is a great meme Betsy. I love that you don't live in the past...a great attribute!
I love maxine. She says what we are all thinking!!

Becky said...

Hey Betsy, I have been lazy and not been visiting lately, I have missed you! I thought about you this morning, we had alot of birds in the backyard this morning!

Now I am off to catch up on you.
Have a great day!

Becky said...

Hey Betsy, I have been lazy and not been visiting lately, I have missed you! I thought about you this morning, we had alot of birds in the backyard this morning!

Now I am off to catch up on you.
Have a great day!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I think there is a lot of "Maxine" in all of us...and what a lot of information to think about!!!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I enjoyed reading this Betsy and learning more about you!

Sunny said...

It was nice to learn more about one of my favorite bloggers. A fun post!
Sunny :)

Anonymous said...

I don't do these things but I enjoyed reading yours and the Maxine jokes. We do a lot of the same things. It's nice to know we have some things in common. Tomorrow is National Hugging Day so I am leaving you one a little early! Hugs, Judy

MadSnapper said...

thanks for all the info, I read it ALL. there are a lot of things you like that would be on my list. 24 is our number one favorite, White Collar is second and I love NCIS. I am going to find Leverage and Criminal Minds and try those two. always looking for things we both like. I like almost all the resturants you lised, no chinese for me though. i like this post, learned a lot. and photgraphy and bloggin are 2 of my most favorite passions

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I enjoyed that.It is interesting to read about others.
Blessings,Ruth

Kirigalpoththa said...

I too wish you the same 'Eight' from your wish list :)

Rose said...

Hi, Betsy! I read MB's lists and have mine about ready to post tonight. I love Golden Coral's pot roast also...and I have Hardee's listed on mine for the same reason--their thickburgers! I figured I would be the only one listing them!

I love Maxine!

Diane said...

Nice finding out a few more tidbits about you Betsy. Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl said...

Your delightful posts are what bring me to your blog daily! I can always count on a smile and/or a chuckle each day! It was nice to learn a little more about such a special blogger! And I do hope your foot is better!

Cicero Sings said...

Loved the Maxine cartoons. She is such a hoot!

Nice to find out more about you too ... I probably won't do it though ... EIGHT things in each category ... I don't think I could come up with EIGHT!

Anonymous said...

Love your 8 x 8 info! Thanks for sharing.
(Don't know all your TV shows, but also a 'Mentalist' fan!)

storyteller said...

How fun to learn about you this way. Love the way you've interspersed Maxine cartoons. I watch some of the same shows you do (when time permits) ... especially Leverage, The Good Wife, the Closer and House. Loved the things you've learned and hope you guys get your cameras because photos from your part of the world are fun to see. I shared random thoughts yesterday at Sacred Ruminations and rainy photos this morning at Small Reflections.
Hugs and blessings,

Ginny Hartzler said...

Great post!! I have entirely too much to say in a comment, so am e-mailing!! Toodles!

Snap said...

Fun to learn more about you and loved the Maxinisms!

Janie said...

I enjoyed Maxine, and also enjoyed learning more about you. What shines through about Betsy: You do live in the moment and keep an eye to the future. You're positive and upbeat almost always, a rare quality and a blessing both to you and others.

imac said...

Go Betsy go.

The Retired One said...

A wonderful, informative and funny post..thanks for sharing so much about yourself with us.

GeneaDiva said...

Betsy,
Great post. Enjoyed getting to know you a little better. I wish I was your Tennessee neighbor. We would get along great!

Well, I guess I am your neighbor, just a few hundred miles west.

Anonymous said...

Oh this is fun & a great way, as you said, to get to know your blogger friends better! I might do it this weekend, but I'll let ya know!

Joy said...

Thanks for sharing you meme with us. I love reading these. Putting Maxine in with it was a great idea. I get the biggest kick out of that cartoon. I also resemble a lot of those....
I can't believe you have been to that many waterfalls. WoW.
♥ Joy

Cassie said...

Hey Betsy! We have several things in common. I figured as much!

Maxine is funny.Hope my sense of humor is that good when I reach her age.hehe.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Hi Betsy!

I haven't been over here in awhile and I feel so out of the loop! I hope you and George are great!

Amen to the corrupt Congressional leaders. We've really been praying about this!

I love Olive Garden too! I loved all your answers, but I have to say I'm so out of touch with the T.V., that I barely recognized any of those! lol!

Have a great evening!
Tammy

Cassie said...

I sent you info on foot injury.It's under the comments on your last post.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

It's always nice to learn about fellow bloggers, especially the ones I visit on a daily basis.
We share several common things, especially the "asking the family " one, and food we love the same restaurants !!
Loved this, and Maxine !

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! I feel like I know you much better now. Thanks for sharing.

Carol Murdock said...

Hey Betsy, sweetie it amazes me how much you and I are alike! From loving the Titans to the same TV shows and lots more stuff I learned from this post! Great post!
I WOULD LOVE FOR YOU AND GEORGE TO STAY IN THE GWTW ROOM !!!!!!!XOXO

Jen said...

This was great.
All I know is you are one special lady! :D
Here's to good health and many more years of happines for you and George.

LV said...

I enjoyed your whole package today. That took more time than I would put into it. It was nice that you shared so much of your personal life. I am a very private person, so doubt I would go this far.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

It was nice to learn mre about you Betsy!

I was always thin until I developed thyroid cancer and had to have my gland removed which caused me to go hypothyriod as I was not absorbing the med hormone well. My metabolism was soooo slow for almost a year. I try hard but the pounds stay on. I now just try to concentrate on eating healthy and exercising and I don't let the exttra pounds bother me. It is what it is! :-)

SquirrelQueen said...

That was fun Betsy, I love to read these but I will put off doing on for a long time.

I took off to get some stuff done around the house and yard (we've had sixty degree weather, I know we should be having snow). Plus my hubby keeps getting sent out of town by his company and of course every thing breaks down just as he walks out the door, Mrs. Fixit to the rescue.

Judy
PS, I see the spammer is back in your comments.