Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Friday, October 11, 2013

Yellowstone Visit 9/2012

Upper Falls of the Yellowstone  (109 feet)
I  cannot believe that I never did finish my blog posts when we took our WEST TRIP from Sept. 12-27, 2012.   I did 16 posts and then stopped in April --once we got busy in the yard...  I was (AM) trying to post about this trip day by day in order (as my journal) ---and even after 16 different posts,  I am only halfway through September 20.

In order to see any or all of these 16 posts so far,  you can click HERE.   The posts will come up with the last one I posted in April coming up first.   It was a fantastic trip --and Yellowstone is one of our favorite places that we have EVER visited.  AND--this part of Yellowstone---the Canyon area, is a favorite!!!

Going back to September 20, 2012 (which was when all of these photos were taken),  we first visited the NORTH RIM (Lookout Point,  Red Rock Point,  Grand View and Inspiration Point).   I have already blogged about all of these...

SO--after some lunch that day,  we headed to the SOUTH RIM in order to see Upper Falls,  Crystal Falls,  to hike down Uncle Tom's Trail to get a close-up view of Lower Falls,  and then to Artist Point.   Today's post will be about that visit to the South Rim.

The photo above is of Upper Falls --which can be seen from the South Rim.  Be sure to click on the photos for enlargements.




George took this photo of me standing at  the Upper Falls overlook.




Crystal Falls at Yellowstone  (129 feet)
After seeing Upper Falls,  we hiked along the South Rim Trail --so that we could see another waterfall which many people don't even know is there.   This waterfall is not nearly as large as both Upper Falls and Lower Falls,  but it is pretty.   Your eyes aren't playing tricks on you... The waterfall is blurry since my camera focused on the beautiful greenery.  But--I still like the photo.




Steps going down the Uncle Tom's Trail at Yellowstone
Next,  we hiked DOWN--DOWN--DOWN 500 feet on the Uncle Tom's Trail to get an up-close view of Lower Falls.  There are 328 steps down that steep trail.... Going down was easy--but coming back up can really make one PANT HARD..... It's rough!!!!  But--we did it!




You can tell how steep it was going down into that canyon.  See the Yellowstone River at the bottom??????




Lower Falls of the Yellowstone  (308 feet)
We MADE it ---and seeing this gorgeous waterfall from here made that hike worthwhile....  (Wait a minute:  We haven't gone back up yet!!!!!! ha)

They say that between 5000 and 60,000 gallons of water rush over Lower Falls every SECOND, depending upon whether it is the dry or wet season.....  Wooooooo!!!!




Me at Lower Falls (on Uncle Tom's Trail)
George took my picture to PROVE that I made it!!!!  Believe it or not,  I was still smiling..... NOTE:  I'm still wearing shirts too large for me on this trip  (after losing weight)...  We had/have so many shirts that we have bought through the years --which don't fit me anymore... I have gone from a 2XL or XL down to a Medium!  AND--I'm about 8-10  pounds lighter now than I was in Sept. 2012.




While looking at Lower Falls,  we saw a RAINBOW ---where the sun was still shining on the mist... Neat,  isn't it?




Us at the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone,  on the Uncle Tom's Trail Overlook
A nice man took our photo together while we were down there at the overlook.  Of course,  we reciprocated and took their picture also.




This was taken from Uncle Tom's Trail (South Rim) at Lower Falls --looking across the canyon to two places where we had been that morning on the North Rim (Lookout Point and Red Rock Point).    I knew that our hike down the mountain from Lookout to Red Rock Point  was a hard hike---but when I saw it from this angle,  I realized what a steep hike we had taken.  It wasn't quite as long and hard as Uncle Tom's Trail --but it was steep.  (If you look carefully, you can see people standing at both overlooks.) Sorry about the HAZY photo.... It was getting late in the afternoon.




Us at Lookout Point (North Rim) with Lower Falls in the background--taken that morning
I just have to include these next two photos --which will give you an idea of what Lower Falls looked like from those two lookout points on the North Rim. (Note photo above.) Both of these photos were in previous posts when I was talking about these areas on the North Rim.

We were WAY up there at Lookout Point ---and couldn't believe the difference  while seeing a waterfall from 3 different locations.




Us at Red Rock Point (North Rim) --with the Lower Falls in the background--taken that morning
This photo was taken at Red Rock Point ----which was our favorite view of the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone.   Amazing how different things look from different areas!!!!   The Lower Falls look quite different from these two overlooks than it did when we were down there next to the falls..

If you want to see our other photos from Lookout and Red Rock Point,  click HERE.




NOW---it's time to head back up those 328 steps.... Pant Pant Pant....




After getting back to the top,  we headed to Artist Point (also on the South Rim).  Again,  I apologize for the hazy photos.  Late afternoon is not the best time to visit Artist Point.  BUT---you can see Yellowstone River as it POURS down the canyon.   AND--you can see Lower Falls in the distance (which is about a mile away).   Upper Falls is beyond Lower Falls --out of sight. 




Here is a photo of George at the overlook at Artist Point.




Another nice person took our photo together at Artist Point..  This overlook is one of the most popular in the park --so we would  love to go back at another time of day,  maybe the morning... The sun was WICKED --as you can tell by my squinting! ha




I'll close with a beautiful view of the canyon --taken from Artist Point.  You can see a tiny bit of the river in a few spots.  BUT--I wanted you to see the colors all around us.  What a marvelous place!!!!!

As you can see,  we took in everything we could on both the North Rim and the South Rim of the Canyon at Yellowstone.   If you ever go to Yellowstone and can hike,  we recommend Uncle Tom's Trail and also the Red Rock Point Trail... IF you cannot do much hiking,  we recommend  Lookout Point (Parking is nearby),  Inspiration Point,  and Artist Point... There are great views of the canyon from all of those areas.

Well--that completes my 3 posts from the Canyon area.  BUT--there's still alot more of Yellowstone to see... I'll try to continue sharing our wonderful trip in September of 2012 with you during the next several months (YEARS)... ha

Hope you have a fabulous weekend.

Hugs,

52 comments:

Our photos said...

You have make beautiful pictures!
Greetings, RW & SK

Carletta said...

That's a waterfall!
I say that because of the amount of water. Wish we could hear the roar. :)

Twilight Man said...

Your photos are very beautiful with the waterfalls and rivers by the canyons. I share your passion on climbing the rocks to enjoy the views. I missed my chance to visit Yellowstone as it was in Winter at that time in Wyoming.

Linda P said...

The river and those falls look powerful forces, Betsy. The different colours in those rock formations are beautiful. It's always good to look back at photos of your trips. I'm thankful you're keeping well and you and George are able to continue with your hikes in between your gardening and other activities.

Fun60 said...

Thank you for sharing your trip. I would love to see it for myself and maybe one day I will but in the mean time I have your beautiful photos to feast my eyes on.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well Betsy, I don't think the doctors will ever have to give you a stress test!!! SO many here are my favorite, you truly got a good batch on this jaunt! I LOVE the first picture, the one of Upper Falls, it is really gushing!! Also the Lower Falls. And the rainbow had spectacular colors, I don't know how you captured it so brilliantly, my camera hates rainbows!

Ann said...

so beautiful. those steps do look like quite the work out. love the little rainbow you found

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i enjoyed the post. funny how you take pics & then you remember what you have not shown on the blog. i keep doing that recently. i keep meaning to do that & this ... there is never enough time for me ... lots to share. or you wish to share.

love the rainbow. you two are so cute together. great times. ( :

linda m said...

those ares some incredible pictures of the falls. I also love waterfalls. Sure looks like you had a great time.

Catherine said...

Wishing you and George a very happy weekend Betsy!
It's Thanksgiving weekend here - might have to eat a small piece of pumpkin pie. ;)
xo Catherine

Peaches McGinty said...

Hi Betsy!
Beautiful pic's! how steep were those steps? and so many of them, my legs go like jelly with loads of steps, you two are clearly fitter! the waterfall pic's are stunning and the views so so good, it feels like I have been there, as ever I love the pic's of you and George! x x have a lovely weekend x x

Hootin Anni said...

I've been there...hiked many a trails and viewed the waterfalls...but your image shares takes me back to the 'good ol' days'...before commercialization of the area now-a-days.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I love these amazing photos! I hope to see it in person someday.

Unknown said...

Looks absolutely breath taking! My family and I are taking one of these west coast tours next months and we get to take a stop there on the third day :). Any MUST see things out there that we absolutely can't miss?

MadSnapper said...

i like the two shots of the steps going down.. although looking that far down is a little high for my fear of heights. it is beautiful

Sylvia K said...

Wonderful captures, Betsy! I have been to Yellowstone several times over the years and the beauty there never fails to amaze me!! The waterfalls are incredible! You and George always look great and so happy -- the best of all!! Have a great weekend!

Dorothy said...

I enjoyed this post very much, since this was one of our favorite places, too. However we didn't do nearly as much hiking as you did! Thanks for sharing your pictures with us!

Nancy said...

God's creation is amazing..The waterfalls are just magnificent and I love the shot with the rainbow....
You and George are just the cutest couple and I love seeing pictures of you two...

Kay said...

Never got to Yellowstone. Was hoping that once Ben retired he and I would go there but then he passed away and don't think I'll ever get there, so thanks for taking me there with your photos.

Ms. A said...

I'm panting and my knees ache from YOUR hike. OH.MY!

Liene said...

There was very little water flowing over the Upper Falls on our visit, but it was beautiful in its own way. Maybe someday I'll return during the spring - you seem to have picked a good time also!

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, What a fun trip you took. You did better than me - I chose not to go on that staircase as I have a bad knee. Hopefully my husband and I can go back to Yellowstone again sometime in the next two to three years. What a beautiful place. So glad you got to see it and enjoy it.

troutbirder said...

Ok. I fess up. I'm a bit jealous of all the pictures of you and George together in such a neat venue. Mrs. T gets panic attacks anyplace near high overlooks with a long way to the bottom. Needless to say we also avoid the Grand Canyon in Arizona...

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

It's funny; but, when Doug and I were just out at Yellowstone, it occurred to me that I didn't remember seeing some of your photos on your blog. I'm glad you've started posting about your trip again. And these photos are all so beautiful. Even the late-afternoon haze didn't seem to hurt the photo of the canyon. If anything, I think maybe it enhanced the colors of the canyon walls.

We're among those people that didn't know of the existence of Crystal Falls. Thanks for sharing that photo. You may have saved us some steps. :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your photos very much.

Wishing you both a nice weekend.

Grandma Bonnie said...

Those are some beautiful photos of the look out point. Well, all the photos are beautiful but I like the look out ones more. Ant that photo of the Upper Falls is gorgeous. Hope you have a great weekend.

Connie said...

Another wonderful trip! Great photos, Betsy! So lovely.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I love seeing y'all's gorgeous photos even if from 2012....still pretty

KathyA said...

Sharing these spectacular photos with Richard. We're planning to visit Yellowstone in May -- he wants to see the wildflowers. We've been looking forward to seeing "Jellystone" for some time!

Lady Di Tn said...

LOL If I made it down those steps I would have to stay as I cannot see me climbing back up them. What wonderful views and words to describe them for us. Thank you, thank you for sharing as I feel my window of opportunity for travel has closed. Peace

Dee said...

Dear Betsy, after reading your posting today and those in the past on Yellowstone, I'm determined to go there. Perhaps I'll be able to talk one or more of my nieces into driving there with me or a friend. I want to see the beauty that is Yellowstone as you've shown it to me. Thank you. Peace.

happyone said...

Beautiful photos of your vacation. I think my favorite it the rainbow on the rock.

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

What beautiful memories you and George made! Wonderful photos.

Chatty Crone said...

Since I probably won't ever get there - lol - I love going with you and George - hope I'm not a third wheel. The photos where just wonderful.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Gorgeous pictures. I have been to Yellowstone twice,but have obviously not seen nearly all there is to see.

diane b said...

You do so well at hiking and climbing stairs. We'll done. Unfortunately we never had much time for hiking when we were there but I did a short one . Your photos of the canyon and waterfalls are great and the rainbow is stunning.

Neal said...

I remember those steps very well. :) However, you were correct when you say it was well worth the effort. Those are beautiful falls. I would love to go back even if I have been 3 or 4 time.

eileeninmd said...

Beautiful Yellowstone photos, Betsy! I love that waterfalls! Happy weekend!

Jeevan said...

How daring you are? Simply amaze me Betsy... you both a terrific couple! It’s obvious from the image how loud the roar must be... and tough climbing up and down. These are worth visiting places... absolutely marvelous images from various viewpoints. Like the pictures of you both in falls background.

Have a great weekend!

Jeevan said...

How daring you are? Simply amaze me Betsy... you both a terrific couple! It’s obvious from the image how loud the roar must be... and tough climbing up and down. These are worth visiting places... absolutely marvelous images from various viewpoints. Like the pictures of you both in falls background.

Have a great weekend!

Joy said...

I admire you both for the stamina:) Anyway, those falls are breath taking:)

Donna said...

Those vistas sure are gorgeous. Whenever we get out there, I'll have to go to the 3 places that would not kill me. I have enough trouble with a dozen stairs, so hundreds of them are totally out of the question. I'm so glad you had a lovely time!

Lynda said...

Phenomenal photos of God's glorious creation. I love seeing the pure joy and happiness on both of your faces - - - even after all that exertion.
So you sew? You could take some darts or tucks in the back of the shirts to make them smaller. Probably the sleeves could be a fairly simple fix even if you just took the seam up in the top of the shoulder and tapered it to the underarm. It's fun to see you and George in matching shirts.

Linda G. said...

I always find it difficult to keep up with blog posts from vacations. Day to day events interfere, and you have to post about those .. right? Glad you are finishing up your blog posts about your vacation out west. The photographs in today's blog post are beautiful; love the colors of the canyons and of course the waterfalls.

P.S. I hope that I can lose enough weight to get back into medium shirts!

Arkansas Patti said...

Those amazing shots make that hike down so very worth it. Now if they would only chopper or elevator a person back up.
Your weight loss is fantastic Betsy. Keeping it off is usually hard but you have done such a great job of that also. Guess there are advantages to those 328 steps UP.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Such a special place. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, you and George look so sweet together. I so enjoy seeing the beautiful places and waterfalls you two visit.

Have a blessed Sunday :)

Beatriz said...

Yellowstone is one of my dream's trip! When I go to the US, surely this is "the place" that I must go!
You two are so nice in the photos...
Thanks for sharing your beautiful adventures!!!

Hugs

Bia

www.biaviagemambiental.blogspot.com

SquirrelQueen said...

It is all so beautiful Betsy. I love your shots of the falls and Artist's Point. One of these days we have to get over to Yellowstone, it only about s day's drive from here.

To answer your question about the cats. At the moment I have 4 cats in the house. One of them is the tiny kitten who will be going back to the shelter in just over a week. Three is my limit for full time inside cats.

Susie Swanson said...

Beautiful photos of a great and awesome place.Hope you've enjoyed your weekend.. Hugs, Susie

Jazzmin said...

You can definitely tell from your big smiles that y'all were enjoying taking in everything! I don't blame you- looks so beautiful and breath-taking! I can't get over the falls- what an experience that must have been to hear them and see them so close. I loved seeing all of your gorgeous photos and I await more.

Also, I wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog recently, and answering the questions for the award for me to read! I loved getting to read all your answers :)

I hope you have a blessed day.
Hugs to you,
Jazzmin



Serenity Cove said...

Oh that brings back memories Betsy even though we didn't get to as many places in Yellowstone as you did. I really want to go back and spend at least a week there!
Loved the Lower Falls. They are just beautiful!