Are there funny or strange sayings that you remember from one of your relatives, or from your childhood??? My sweet Daddy (who died in 1969) used to always say if anyone asked how he was, "I'm just finer than frog hair"..... I used to think that was so funny ---but I never did know where he got that expression. Years later, long after he died, I read that expression on a list of old sayings.... SO---I guess it didn't originate with him (like I thought it had). But all of through the years, I gave him credit for saying something so funny ---and yet strange.... (How fine is frog hair anyhow??????)
My friend GINNY from Virginia was talking in her blog yesterday about SALT... I had to tell her about another of these old sayings: "Throw salt over your shoulder for good luck". Have you heard that one???? Anyhow, her blog made me start thinking about all of these old sayings, many of which I have heard, off and on all of my life... SO---I thought I'd share a few of them with you today. I'm sure you can add some to this group, and I hope you do....
1. "Flat as a Flitter" (What in the heck is a flitter???)
2. That's as "Fast as All-Get-Out" (I heard this one growing up also...)
3. Here's a funny one: "If things get any better, I may have to hire someone to help me enjoy it."
4. "You look like somethin' the cat dragged in."
5. "Now---that's a fine how-do-you-do!!!"
6. "He was movin' so slow, dead flies wouldn't fall off 'im."
7. "I'm gonna slap you so hard, when you quit rollin' your clothes will be outta style."
9. "I'm as mad as a mule chewin' on bumblebees." (Yipes)
10. This one is BAD... Sorry!!!! "She's so ugly they had to tie a pork chop around her neck to get the dog to play with her."
11. Are you ever THIS busy? "Busy as a stump-tailed cow in fly time"
12. And my fav: "Well----butter my butt and call me a biscuit"..... ha ha ha
NOW---tell me some of your favorite old sayings!!!!
Hope you had a great weekend.