Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, July 24, 2017

Wildflowers along the Blue Ridge Parkway --June, 2017

Catawba  Rhododendron Bloom,   Craggy Gardens 
On our Anniversary Trip to Switzerland Inn along the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina  (June 21-23, 2017),   we encountered some gorgeous blooms which I want to share with you today... Hope you enjoy seeing some of these beautiful wildflowers/shrubs.


We were a week or two late to see the Catawba Rhododendrons in full bloom in Craggy Meadows --but luckily we did see a few still blooming... 



Another picture taken while we were in Craggy Meadows showing the Catawba Rhododendron blooms AND some Wild Hydrangea blooms




Wild Hydrangea Bush 



Wild Hydrangea Bloom (close-up)



Another bush showing the Wild Hydrangeas in bloom along the Blue Ridge Parkway



One of my favorite blooms,  the Flame (or Flaming) Azaleas (I love this color.)   



A close-up picture of the Flame Azaleas  



One more picture of the Flame Azaleas --found along the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina 




The Mountain Laurel was really showing off!



I took a gazillion pictures of the Mountain Laurel in bloom all around us!



More Mountain Laurel... WOW!



A close-up of the Mountain Laurel  taken in a different elevation along the parkway from the 3 pictures above;    As you can tell,  this Laurel was just beginning to bloom..  The ones above were at the end stages of their blooms.  Mountain Laurel starts pink and gradually turns white.



 And another favorite was seeing lots and lots of  Rosebay Rhododendrons (also called White Rhododendrons);   They are at lower elevations than the Catawba Rhododendrons.   These start pink and turn white (similar to the Mountain Laurel).



Seeing these Rosebay Rhododendrons was such a joy for me...  We don't see the white ones very often.   They are so gorgeous...



Here's a close-up of one of the Rosebay Rhododendron blooms...    Some people ask what the difference is between Rhododendrons and Mountain Laurel.  I always look at the leaves since Rhododendron leaves are much larger than the Mountain Laurel.  But their blooms are similar even though the Laurel is smaller.
Hope you enjoyed seeing some of the pretty blooms along the Blue Ridge Parkway in late June...  I had to do a little research myself to make sure I got the names correct....  You can click on this link  (click HERE) to see a great listing of wildflowers along the parkway during all seasons.

I had seen the Catawba Rhododendrons at Craggy before --but not sure if I have ever seen so many Rosebay Rhododendrons in bloom before.     AND--I never knew the name of the  Wild Hydrangeas until now.... See what I learn when taking pictures, then doing research, and then blogging????  Amazing....

Have a great week.

Hugs,

35 comments:

R's Rue said...

Love.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Jeevan said...

Lovely capture from the wild blossoms! I know how difficult to identify or get the names of wild flower… so beautiful and precious they are.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, what lovely flowers and such a wonderful experience to be surrounded by such wild beauty.

Thanks for sharing ~ FlowerLady

Ann said...

All of them are so pretty. I never knew there was a wild hydrangea.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Betsy, lovely blossoms and images. They are all lovely photos.
Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

George said...

You did a great job researching all these varieties. The wildflowers were certainly beautiful, and you got some great photos.

Ruth Hiebert said...

WOW! So much beauty and all planted by the Creator,for our enjoyment. Thanks for sharing all these gorgeous blooms.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I think my favorite is the beautiful Mountain Laurel; I have never seen it pink!! And the wild hydrangea, I think i have a picture of it, and did not know what it is. Now I know. George is looking good!

Arkansas Patti said...

What lovely blooms. I think the only Rhododendrons I have ever seen have been on your site. Maybe someday. I'm with you on the Flame Azaleas. They are stunning.

Fun60 said...

All beautiful but I liked the azalea the best.

Big Dude said...

You sure make the most of those mountains you love.

David said...

Betsy, Great photos of beautiful flowers! Love the mountain laurel...especially when they're pink. Despite living here for 8 years now, we've never timed it right for the rhododendron bloom! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

A Colorful World said...

Oh my yes! Such a great time to be there! Beautiful flowers and great shots!

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

That first shot is especially beautiful, but all of them are gorgeous. And thanks for doing the research for us on the types of flowers. Love the flaming azaleas. Many years ago, Doug and I hiked to Gregory Bald to see them there. What a stunning display of flaming azaleas we saw that day.

The Furry Gnome said...

Quite a different landscape where you've got Rhododendrons, Azaleas, and Laurel growing.

Linda said...

Lovely! I haven't been to Craggy Gardens in years but I remember standing there surrounded by blossoms. It was magical.

Small City Scenes said...

Beautiful images Betsy. I do love Mountain Laurel and the Rhodys too. Pacific Rhododendron which are pink are Washington's state flower or shrub. They go wild in the hills and mountains. So lovely. Thanks for taking us along.
MB

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

A yes we do a lot of learning as we blog. That makes it all so interesting. Your photos are gorgeous. I admire that the weight of cameras don't impede your many trips or hikes. You and George are open seen wearing them in photos of each other.

Pam said...

Beautiful, beautiful flowers, Betsy! I love hydrangeas and the wild ones are fantastic. We definitely to drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway, can't get much better scenery than that. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful rest of the week!

Marcia said...

What a lovely assortment you captured. We drove that stretch many years ago (before daughters) on our way to camp in NC. I do remember seeing the rhododendron but not the other flowers you shared.

Betsy said...

yes, they are beautiful and especially the orangey azalea looking one. I used to have one similar to that I pulled from the woods one time. The mountain laurel is always pretty and bushy, must be because it's poisonous and animals leave it alone. I love all flowers.
betsy

Rose said...

These are so beautiful...

Lux G. said...

Those blooms are just perfect.

Beatriz said...

You're right Betsy, they are gorgeous!!!
So many beautiful places you have found this summer, huh!
We are in the winter time here, and I can't wait for the next season soon! Have a nice week darling

Good winds and take care!

Bia
www.biaviagemambiental.blogspot.com

Janice K said...

So beautiful about and growing without any human help!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Seems as though you all went at the perfect time with everything in bloom like that! Beautiful.

Connie said...

Lovely blooms, Betsy! So beautiful. I especially love the azaleas.

Dee said...

Dear Betsy, I so enjoyed the trip through all the blooms. I often don't know the names of flowers or trees or shrubs and so I was glad today to see what mountain laurel looks like and mountain hydrangea. thank you. Peace.

Lady Fi said...

So many beautiful shots of flowers!

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Oh these are so pretty! They remind me of home, especially mountain laurel. It looks like fun Anniversary trip

Shug said...

So many gorgeous blooms. I'm guessing this was a sweet drive. You and George always find the best places to vacation and some of the prettiest views. So glad you share them with us. I've missed blogging and keeping up with all my precious friends.....

Busy Bee Suz said...

I just adore all the azaleas; one of the flowers I miss from our travels up through the GA mountains as a kiddo.

Janie said...

They are all so beautiful, and your photos are great, too.

Janie said...

The flowers are beautiful and so are your photos.

Lowcarb team member said...

So lovely to see these gorgeous blooms, so colourful.

All the best Jan