Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, July 17, 2017

MC CLOUD MOUNTAIN VISIT with Friends 7/5/17

George, Neal and Patti at  McCloud Mountain, July 5, 2017
Our good friends,  Neal and Patti,  were visiting family in north Tennessee recently ---so we drove up toward that area on July 5 to see them and have lunch with them at a new restaurant on top of the mountain near Duff,  Tennessee (which Neal had read about and wanted to try).   Even though this area is only about two hours from our home,  George and I had never been there...  WOW--what a neat place!!!!

We drove UP UP UP the mountain to a small private resort on top of McCloud Mountain... It is conveniently called the McCloud Mountain Restaurant and Lodge  (since there are rooms available for lodging)....  For more information about this little resort,  click HERE.

When we left home,  it was a very drizzly and foggy morning...  AND--the fog got worse as we drove up that mountain...   BUT--we were so happy to see our Indiana friends  for a few hours...  We all decided to eat lunch first and then hope that the fog would lift (which it DID)....

The restaurant was nice and we all had Bison Burgers for lunch (delicious)...  As we always do when together,  we talked and talked --all the time watching that fog gradually disappear...  After lunch, we went outside and took pictures around the facility.

Then we drove to check out the Chimney Skywalk....  Nature provided a chain of 32 'chimneys' forming a chain --and then they built a walkway over them...  Nature is SO amazing!!!!!

Today I'll share pictures from that day with friends... Hope you enjoy them... There's nothing better than being with good friends at a beautiful setting....


The Restaurant with a VIEW (when it's not foggy) on McCloud Mountain;  I loved seeing the big Cross which is lit at nights --and can be enjoyed by folks in the valley below.



Neal and George --both with cameras in hand (of course)!!!! ha



More of the facilities on McCloud Mountain;  The views from these lodge rooms would be marvelous!



Some of the viewing areas near the restaurant and lodge



A view of the valley below (once the fog lifted);  Taken from the area pictured above --near the restaurant;




I told George that I wanted that house built on stilts hanging out over the edge of the cliff!!!!   (NOT REALLY!!! Ha)



A view from inside the restaurant (all decorated for the 4th of July--even though it was the 5th when we were there)



I loved this "Patriotic Tree" in the restaurant  --all decorated in colors of red/white/blue.



As the skies continued to clear,  we drove to see the Chimney Skyway.   By now the views were becoming better and better... 



This happy lady was thrilled to be here!



I was amazed seeing all of these natural  'chimneys'---32 of them altogether!  Some of these formations were between 100 and 250 feet high....  Isn't Nature just amazing?  



Oh--- those gorgeous views of the surrounding mountains!!!   AND--that handsome man enhances the views,  don't you think?



How creative is this deck rail????   Both Patti and I noticed this and were pleased to see them build it this way... Have you ever seen this done like this before?   I loved it.



We heard a train whistle in the distance from the Skywalk Overlook..   Once I spotted the train,  I pulled out my LONG lens and got a fairly good picture from WAY down in that gorge...



One more picture of our fantastic friends on a great day in Tennessee
Hope you enjoyed our pictures for this wonderful little Day Trip...  This would be an awesome place to visit ANYTIME of year --but especially in Autumn.... Hmmmm--maybe a trip back up there!!!!

Have an awesome week,  my Friends.

Hugs,

33 comments:

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I think I have discovered you and George's secret to a long and happy life...you two are always, always, ALWAYS smiling.
You guys are so inspiring. I think the cure for just about any ailment is just being honestly HAPPY.
Thanks for sharing that with me...and I am sure others feel the same.
Love the scenery at this place-will have to check it out. Have a blessed day!

Ann said...

What a neat place to meet up with friends. Love the views. Although the view from the house on stilts would be amazing I don't know that I would want to live in one.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

WOW, I can almost feel being there. What wonderful views. If I drive 2 hours north of here, it is still 'flat' lands. Boring! You have so much to see and enjoy up there.

Love your header picture ~ Happy Summer ~ FlowerLady

Linda G. said...

Lunch with friends....enjoying that magnificent scenery with friends...what a wonderful day for sure!

Big Dude said...

Looks like a great place to visit with some really scenic views. I don't know how you find these places.

Connie said...

What a beautiful spot! The view there is gorgeous. How nice that you got to meet with your friends there for lunch and a visit.

George said...

You got some great photos, especially considering the fog for most of the day. It was a great place to meet Patti and Neal, and I wouldn't mind going back again some time.

David said...

Betsy, Another place for us to visit! Very attractive place with great views and a walkway over those chimneys that's my style of hiking. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

linda m said...

What an awesome place; I'll have to put that on my bucket list. Nothing better than spending time with friends.

Chatty Crone said...

The photos are awesome - I feel I have been there - I think I remember you visiting them before. Love the two 'love birds' Betsy and George!

Pam said...

It sounds like you had a great time with your friends, Betsy! And the resort with its magnificent views sounds like a perfect place to visit. The Chimney Skywalk must be amazing and the fog on the website sounds awesome also, a taste of what it's like to live among the clouds.

I keep telling my hubby we need to get out of the Chicago area and move to Tennessee! Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed reading this and would love to go to TN! Take care, hugs!

Pat Tillett said...

You clearly had a great day in the beautiful place. Love all the photos!
I wouldn't live in that house on stilts out here, but I would back there. Very nice you and George got together with your friends.

Betsy said...

You always take the most beautiful photos. I love seeing and reading about your joy in life. You are truly an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing with us all.
Blessings, Betsy

Marcia said...

You did discover a neat spot to add to your list of places to return to.

Dorothy said...

As always, your pictures and blog post are wonderful! That looks like a good place to spend some time. Would like to see the views in the Fall!

Arkansas Patti said...

Such a neat place and it is relatively close so you can visit again and try that cliff hanging house:)) Can't imagine getting a restful nights sleep in that one.
So glad the weather cleared up for you so you could enjoy the marvelous views. The beauty of meeting such good friends there is even if the weather hadn't cleared, you would still have had a good time.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yes, the railing is something new to me, and very artistically different. Your pictures are marvelous! But I would have been throwing up long ago. You must have a wonderful vestibular system!! I have never heard of this place! You DO know how to find them! I need to give you the nickname of Betsy Kenieval.

The Furry Gnome said...

Looks like a marvellous place! I posted some day lily shots tonight; sorry I'm not as good with the names as you are.

Andrea said...

Hi Betsy, of course i am fascinated with all your photos, but mostly the structures and area you've been. How amazing they build their resort on top of that boulder structures. I am so envious, so thanks for the tour. I would love to ride that train to see the wonderful surroundings in going up there! How so beautiful.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That is indeed a gem of a place. I have to ask, did Neal behave himself this time? LOL

BeachGypsy said...

Hi there Betsy, sure enjoyed these pictures! What beautiful mountain views!! Aren't they just GORGEOUS and so magnificent and BIG!!? Love looking at them. That is a nice overlook to pose on and take pictures on. So neat you were able to get the train too! That restaurant reminds me of one we used to go to, they had such delicious country food--cornbread and pinto beans and gravy and pork chops... and lots of great sweet tea! And views just the same. I dont like driving on the mountains in the fog though, so glad it lifted for y'all in time

Elizabeth Edwards said...

hi there. you would enjoy my post this week, the hubby and i went to Hershey gardens, in Hershey PA. over the Memorial day weekend. not to hot and so many amazing awesome roses and other blooms. stop by if you get a moment. hope & George are well .. looks like your friends are look great. glad you have a chance to be with them again. take care. stay cool. so hot & humid around here in VA, wishing for fall cooler temps. big big hugs. ( ;

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Friends, food, and amazing scenery. It doesn't get much better than that, does it? :)

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Yes Nature is so Amazing! and I am glad you capture some of it in your photos. The mountain resort is pretty. I agree that house needs stilts lol. Gorgeous views

Cheryl @ TFD said...

That is indeed a beautiful area! I'm glad you and George had a nice visit with your friends and the fog lifted so you could see the amazing scenery. Stay well and stay cool...it's so very hot here right now. 106 degrees heat index...whew! Have a nice week!

Beatriz said...

Hi Betsy!
What view from that lodge!!! I can imagine that place so beautiful in the summer and even in the winter time!
By the way, I would love this house on the rocks, huh!

Hugs from Brazil

Bia
www.biaviagemambiental.blogspot.com

Linda said...

Wow, spectacular place!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Those overlooks are really amazing. What a fun time!

Dee said...

Dear Betsy, thanks so much for showing us a photo of the porch railing. How creative! When you first mentioned "chimneys" I wasn't sure what you were talking about. So I was glad to see the photographs that showed so plainly what chimneys in rock are!

How wonderful to be with friends. Gathering with loved ones bring forth great gratitude in me. Peace.

Lady Fi said...

Wow - the scenery is just fabulous!

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely to see your happy smiling faces in many of your photographs ...
The views are marvellous, what a great trip.

All the best Jan

Rose said...

Always good to see these smiling faces! Such beautiful views!

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

What an awesome place. The view of the mountains is magnificent.