Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, May 22, 2017

Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina - May, 2017

Islander Inn at Ocean Isle Beach,  North Carolina
On our recent  Beach and Wedding Trip to North Carolina and Florida,   we spent 4 nights at our favorite beach and inn  (Islander Inn at Ocean Isle Beach,  North Carolina)...  Although I'm a mountain girl,  I also love going to the beach.  We usually go twice a year  (May and Nov/Dec).   If you have followed my blog for a long time,  you have seen many posts from this area.... Every year is different from the previous ones!!!!

This year,  even though we went early  (May 7-11),  there were more people there than we have EVER seen...  Parking wasn't easy ---and getting breakfast in the small (but good) breakfast room was challenging... We also did NOT get our usual room --which we had asked for and gotten  every year until now....

I guess we have bragged on and promoted Islander Inn WAY too much through the years --since  people have now found it ---and it's gotten VERY popular...   We complained about not getting our 'special-to-us' room --and were told that they cannot guarantee requests like this anymore  (since they are SO popular)...  Like so many other things in life these days,  there's no loyalty anymore --or appreciation to us visitors who have been loyal for many, many years... Oh Well.

BUT--after I got over my 'mad'--- there were many good things that happened during this visit:
1. They have renovated the rooms --and they are very nice!
2. The weather was fantastic all of the time we were there this year  (especially the 7th and 8th);  NOT too hot,  no humidity,  lots of  clear blue skies and sunshine
3.  Got to see the FULL MOON out over the water  (awesome)

I already posted about the little park where we love to visit and walk... SO--today I'll share some pictures from our walks along the beach --and from our balcony!!!  Hope you enjoy this set of pictures... Click on them for enlargements...


One of the SUNRISES we enjoyed --from our balcony



We enjoy walking on the beach each day.. During the morning, we walk one direction and then during the afternoon,  we walk the other direction.... You can see the fishing pier in the distance.



We both love taking pictures while there...  I caught George on his knees!!!!! ha


George took this picture of a happy lady enjoying the beach!



The Fishing Pier ---up close and personal!!!



A fishing Boat --gathering up food for our DINNER!!!!  YUM---love that fresh seafood at Dockside!! 



Welcome to "MY" home at the beach!!! ( I WISH... ha ha)....  Many years ago,  we watched them build this home ---so every year when we walk on the beach,  we pass by and take another picture.... ha



I always enjoy watching and listening to the BIRDS at the beach.



George and all of his camera gear!!!!  He looks happy being at the beach also!



I love capturing pictures of the WAVES ---and I love having the door to our room opened at nights --so that we can HEAR the roar of the ocean waves!!!!!   SPECIAL!



Be sure and click on this picture (and the next one) to see the beautiful  FULL MOON over the water..  This was taken before dark --from our balcony...  How SPECIAL was this!!!



FULL MOON  (taken after dark);  I always enjoy the moon shining on the water!!!!!  
We had a great 4+ days there ---and seeing this full moon was definitely a highlight of our visit ---plus the seafood at Dockside of course!!!!!

We're not sure what we will do next spring about visiting here... At this time,  we are contemplating changing to April...  What we want is 'our' special room when there aren't nearly as many people around.... BUT---we'll definitely visit after Thanksgiving this year, hoping that there won't be as many people that time of year!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed the pictures today!   Have a wonderful week... I cannot believe that JUNE is almost here... Time is flying by for sure!

Hugs,

37 comments:

Ann said...

Such a lovely spot. That picture of the sunrise is so pretty. Too bad they can't honor your request for your special room. You would think they would try and go the extra mile for people who are frequent guests

Jeevan said...

These days money matters more and as a follower I know how your blog has been promoting the Islander Inn, though not intend but indirectly spreading their popularity. As usual you got lovely photos from Ocean Isle beach and I need to say I almost become familiar with this place through your post. I love being aside oceans and mountains always and I couldn’t think of residing at a place where mountains and ocean was missing.

Indeed the moon looks special and I loved the reflection over the sea!

Jacqueline said...


I love that photo of the moon over the water!

Marcia said...

With weather warming earlier, people are heading to places like this early in the year. Sounds like you had a good time anyway and the weather looks like it was perfect.

George said...

You've captured our wonderful stay at the beach beautifully in your photos. Your pictures of the full moon over the water are especially gorgeous. Well done!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Sorry you didn't get your special room. When you find a good place, it seems like eventually the secret gets out regardless. April could be nice, if you get decent weather.
You both look very happy though!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,Betsy. It is a shame they do not take special request for their loyal customers. Your beach visit and moon shot are beautiful. I hope you still had a great trip! Happy Monday, enjoy your new week ahead!

Betsy said...

What a wonderful trip you had! Your hotel looks very much like D'Sand's Hotel in Lincoln City, Oregon where we have also stayed for years. We have the same problem, it's gotten so popular we can no longer get our favorite room, plus it's been sold at least twice over the years and the new management has no idea we've been staying there for 25 years! Oh well, the times are achangin' aren't they?
Thank you for sharing your beautiful trip with us Betsy. I've never been east of Iowa, except in airports, so your trips are areas I've never seen before!
Blessings,
Betsy

Judy said...

Walking on the beach is one of my favourite things to do. I'm glad you had such an enjoyable time.

David said...

Betsy, Great photo of the moon and the beach from your balcony! George takes great photos, that's for sure. Sounds like ya'll had a great time on the beach... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

linda m said...

Sorry to hear you didn't get your special room. Loyalty just isn't what it used to be. The photos are fantastic thought.

Big Dude said...

Judging from your clothes, you had good weather

Lady Fi said...

Wow - so gorgeous! Looks lovely and oh so peaceful.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The moon on the water is Gorgeous! But my favorite is the sunrise, wow, the colors!!! Maybe if you book a room way, way ahead of time, you will get your room? How far ahead will they book? Next to last picture is my second favorite, it was a hard choice! Love the birds, too!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You really did have a beautiful stretch of beach to enjoy. I'm like you...I love the mountains but I love the ocean too! Wonderful photos! Such a happy trip! Hugs, Diane

A Colorful World said...

Beautiful trip to the Beach again, you two! Sorry there were so many people there.

Arkansas Patti said...

Oh no, I know you like going when no one is there so you have the place to yourselves. Think you have done too good a job spreading the word. Maybe if you told them it is because of you that they are now so popular--they would reserve your room for you:)) Can't hurt.
Love the shot of the moon on the water. Stunning.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

What a beautiful trip you had, in spite of not getting "your" room. I love the first and next-to-the-last shots...the beautiful golden sunrise and the wonderful shot of the moon over the water. Gorgeous!

Lowcarb team member said...

Just love your moon shots, I also like your others too.
A shame places can get so popular, you may find it easier to visit slightly earlier next year ... just a thought!

Enjoy your week.

All the best Jan

Ruth Hiebert said...

Well,I think they should let you have 'your' room.After all, you have been advertising for this place for a long time. Great pictures.The moon shots are good, but I just love seeing the open ocean. This is so different from what I see in my world.

Andrea said...

It is so nice watching you and George enjoying the place and its beauties. I love everything i see in your post, including of course your wished home. It is so big and very well placed. I love to have that too. And, i think those gadgets hanging on George's neck are too heavy!

Betsy said...

I am so glad to have read your post. I had forgotten all about Ocean Isle and haven't been in ages. It's on my "to go list now". Looks like you had a wonderful time with such beautiful weather.
betsy

Lux G. said...

That's a beautiful view to start and end the day with. Lovely!

Nancy Chan said...

A beautiful sunrise to wake up to. Love all the beach photos and great to see you and George happy and smiling. And a beautiful full moon over the water to end the wonderful day.

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Looks like a wonderful trip. I'm with you, I wouldn't mind having that beach house myself! There is a house in Vero Beach, where we've been going for 25 years, that I have always thought of as "mine" too. It's a low-slung bungalow, not showy at all, just my style -- if I had several million dollars, of course! By the way, your comment on my blog was as a no-reply comment, so I couldn't reply to you. I used to be able to reply directly. Thanks for your kind words.

Pam said...

Oh that is lovely! Great pics and making me long for the beach now. Missed out on it this yr due to my surgery but I have the itch for it now. Thanks for sharing, you guys look like you had a great time.

betty-NZ said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time and your photos are positive proof! Even though I'm never far from the coast, I always love seeing other folk's images and what the find lovely.

Connie said...

Beautiful photos, Betsy! That is such a fantastic place to visit.

Small City Scenes said...

Wowee!!! You had a wonderful time---I can tell by the BIG smiles all around. Love the beach pictures. I will have to show you the beaches out here---we are on the Pacific Ocean. But cold until summer.
MB

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Oh the signs is a changing world! Yes the crowds make it difficult to enjoy a place. You did get some great pics of the ocean, waves are so peaceful! You look so happy, well George too

Linda G. said...

Lovely photos of the beach, sunrise and the full moon. I hope that you are able to get your special room for your next visit. I am looking forward to our week at the beach in the Outer Banks.

LV said...

No matter what you share, it is the best. Your photos makes you feel you are right there with you. I enjoy your trips so much as only way I travel now. May you both be blessed with continued good health, and safe travels.

Beatriz said...

Yes, Ihave seen your trips to this wonderful place!
It continues looking like a perfect scenary by the way... Walking on the beach is one of the best things to do, isn't it? You always take lovely pictures of nature.
Have a nice weekend Betsy!!!

<º(((< Bia

Pat Tillett said...

Yep, we were there at the same time. Thanks for tip! tee hee...

Great photos Betsy! It looks like a great place to visit.

Linda P said...

How lovely to have a room that opens straight onto the beach with views of the sea! The photo of the moon and its reflections in the water is beautiful. It was disappointing that you didn't get the same room that has been special to you and George over the years. Sometimes an hotel, holiday complex or eating out place changes ownership or management and you see the difference in service for good or bad. I'm thankful that your experience didn't spoil the enjoyment of your beach holiday break.

Rose said...

Oh, my, I LOVe that sunrise photo...I hate that you did not get your special room. I would have been disappointed, too.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Lovely pictures of a lovely spot.
You both look so happy.