Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, March 27, 2017

Spring in Tennessee 3/24/17

FORTISSIMO DAFFODILS surrounded by PERIWINKLE
I took time this week to 'walk the yard'... It's the first time I have done it this year...  One doesn't realize how much beauty there is outside in Spring until he/she takes a camera and begins taking pictures... We have had a mild winter followed by a 3 day horrible freeze.  SO---until now,  we weren't sure when we would have anything blooming.

Because of the mild winter after a horrible drought all Fall,  most of our Crocuses,  Hyacinths and Daffodils  bloomed early.  Many of these little beauties got 'zapped' during the freeze....BUT--there are still quite a few Daffodils blooming now.    Daffodils are hearty little flowers and there are so many varieties.  Today I'll show you several different ones that are still showing off their beauty in our yard now.

BUT---Daffodils are not the only thing blooming.   Our Tulips are beginning to bloom and the ground cover,  Periwinkle,  is showing off its blue flowers... Hope you enjoy seeing some of the blooms in our yard... All of these pictures were taken on 3/24/17.

Here's an interesting point (showing how different one year can be to the next):  This time last year,  we had lots of Irises blooming now.  This year so far,  NONE.   AND,  this time last year,  our RedBud trees were blooming... This year,  nothing yet.  I think I mentioned before,  that the horrible drought really hurt the Forsythias in our area.. Some are trying to bloom a little this year,  but none are as pretty as they usually are...  At least,  they are alive. The drought also hurt many Rhododendrons --including ours... We have almost lost our big one (BOO HOO) and have lost one of our little ones totally we think...  BUT--life goes on!!!!  That's just part of Gardening --but not necessarily the part we like!


These are called GRAPE HYACINTHS --and are very small... Most people don't even see or notice them since they are tiny.... I love them though!!!



COLOSSAL DAFFODILS  (these are the typical and common yellow ones we all grew up with and love)



HYACINTH  blooms;  I wanted to show you the cute little Hyacinth blooms up close and personal.  Hyacinths are also small flowers --but oh so gorgeous!



DAD ADAMS DAFFODILS;  These little guys have my heart since George's Daddy gave them to us and they were among the first little flowers we planted when we moved here.



Our Pink PHLOX are blooming now and so pretty mixed in the the blue Periwinkle...   (The white Candy Tuft in that same bed hasn't bloomed yet this year.)



I love the colors of this pretty little Daffodil.  (I've seen several names for this one --so I won't even try to guess.)  I do like it though.



Love this Pink TULIP named  BRIGHT PINK LADY;  Right now,  this one is the only Tulip blooming in that bed... But--she doesn't seem to mind since she is so gorgeous.



Our ground cover,  the PERIWINKLE;   I always love their little blue flowers.



TAHITI Double DAFFODIL



PURISSIMA TULIP;  This one is a pale yellow with a darker yellow inside and in strips along the outside.  It is a gorgeous Tulip.



ACCENT DAFFODIL;  I love this pastel Daffodil with that pretty peachy trumpet.



FORTISSIMO  DAFFODIL  (one of the larger Daffodils in our yard)



My favorite group of Daffodils,  MT HOOD DAFFODILS;  These are almost white --with some yellow on the inside.
Hope you are having a good spring (or whatever season you are in now).  Spring is always a favorite of mine because I love seeing winter end and all of the greens pop out along with all of the beautiful colors...  It is so nice to see the freshness of Spring --after a drab winter!!!!   What is your favorite season?

Have a great week, my Friends...

Hugs,

34 comments:

Small Kucing said...

They are so lovely , Betsy.

hmm... i think only periwrinkle can survive in Malaysia weather

Fun60 said...

Spring is my favourite season. The blue periwinkle must be the perfect ground cover to show off your gorgeous daffodils.

Ann said...

How pretty they all are. I haven't spotted any flowers coming up yet. Hopefully soon. I do have grape hyacinth in my yard and the regular hyacinth are my favorite. I just love the smell of them

Jacqueline said...

Lovely photos! Tennessee is such a beautiful place. Take care. Jackie

eileeninmd said...

Hello, lovely flowers. Happy Spring. We seem to be in a drought here too. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Spring has definitely arrived in your yard! Wow! So many beautiful and colorful flowers. Such a treat after the dreariness of winter.

Dee said...

Love, Love, Love flowers and yours are just beautiful!! Years ago I had a huge perennial flower bed across the back of our yard and kept putting in more around the sides of the house. I had a lot of those those little grape hyacinths and enjoyed them so much with the daffodils and tulips. I'm not able to take care of that much now but I sure do love seeing them and have gone to just daffodils by our front entrance walk. You have the largest selection of daffodils - truly beautiful. My favorite season is Summer but I like Spring too.

George said...

Thanks for sharing these gorgeous photos. Sometimes, when the weather is terrible, we forget how much beauty is still around.

linda m said...

Thank you for bringing a bit of Spring into my life today. Nothing is blooming here yet and you have so many beautiful flowers in your yard. You really made my day with your Spring and all it's beauty.

Betsy said...

You have so many beautiful things blooming in your yard Betsy. For us it's still gloomy and gray. Nothing blooming, not even a bud on the trees. But soon I hope. Thanks for sharing the beauty around you to brighten our day.
Blessings, Betsy

David said...

Betsy, Beautiful flower photos as usual! Our daffodils came out OK despite the freeze. Our rhododendron is puny looking but we gave it some food and hope it pulls through. We have one lone grape hyacinth that somehow planted itself in one of our flower beds...very delicate and pretty. We just aren't gardeners but we are surrounded by a bevy of red buds and they're all in bloom! Spring is a glorious time... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow! All so gorgeous!! It has been awhile since you posted your yard. And even though the freeze ruined so much, you still have a beautiful abundance! My favorites are many: your first photo, the Tahiti, the one sweet tulip, and the Purissma, it looks like a cup for holding the sun.

Marcia said...

Lovely blossoms. I thought spring would be really early here and it was until we got the March freeze. We were south in Culpepper, VA yesterday for a luncheon and the phlox were blooming there. It won't be long now.

Lowcarb team member said...

Spring is such a wonderful season ... out recently the gardens and hedgerows are looking so lovely.

I enjoyed reading and looking at your post here Betsy.

Have a wonderful week and hope that you are fully recovered from that very nasty bug you had recently.

Good wishes to you and George

All the best Jan

Betsy said...

How lovely everything is. Mine were not half as pretty. Those buttery yellow daffys are so pretty and creamy looking. I have planted and planted tulips and they seem to go away by the next season. Looks like yours come back just fine.
Phlox is so beautiful. Mom used to have it growing all over a hill.
Happy Week ahead
betsy

Ruth Hiebert said...

I love spring.Your flowers are gorgeous and because of the internet,I get o enjoy your spring beauties now and sometime later, once all our snow is gone,I will get to enjoy spring on my yard.

Arkansas Patti said...

I am always impressed with the variety of daffodils you have in your yard. I noticed when coming back from town today that the Redbuds and Dogwood are in full bloom. Can't tell if they are late or seem so because everything else came up so early. Glad the freeze didn't wipe you out.

Pam said...

Oh my gosh, you have a lot blooming! Like you here in Nashville we had NO winter then when things decided to come up and start to bloom, we had the freeze. It got the tops of a few hosta coming up but everything else seems ok. Beautiful flowers, thank you so much for sharing.

Rose said...

I remembered you had some really pretty daffodils, but forgot just how pretty! I love them all...my favorite season is fall, followed by spring. Not that I don't really love spring, but fall has my heart.

Small City Scenes said...

Beautiful betsy. We have had such wet and cold but not freezing weather this last Feb. and March stuff that started just decided to lay back and wait for the sun. LOL!!
I walk my yard everyday---surely there will something new. We have 20 acres so sometimes it take me awhile but I love every minute of it.

PS> You haven't heard of 'Pie birds" and you say you are a Southern Lady. Google it!!
MB

Shug said...

You are so right....it is so nice to see Spring come to life. Looks like you all have a yard full of beauty. Our daffodil blooms are now gone, but we have many other things blooming around here, including the Red Bud trees. They are so pretty and bright. Keep posting those pics of all the cheerful blooms...

Connie said...

Your spring flowers are so pretty, Betsy. Our daffodils are blooming. We lost a few to that last blast of winter that went through, but some of them survived. Soon we will have some other flowers in bloom. I enjoyed seeing what is blooming at your house.

The Furry Gnome said...

Wonderful flowers! It's like seeing spring early for us!

Lady Fi said...

Such lovely spring flowers! And a gorgeous header shot too.

Jeevan said...

I love winter for its mild cold here... though it's summer here and started warming up, I enjoy the cool breeze wake up from the sea. Good to see spring boomed there despite the drought and freezing cold... I thoroughly enjoyed the daffodils and other cute little flowers from your yard. The pink tulip is quite delight!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I've always loved grape hyacinths. They remind me of the bluebonnets in Texas.

Marie said...

I love spring time! I'm a spring baby, April 5th. :) I would have to say summer is my favorite because it takes me back to the day I brought home my one and only son...June 29th. :)
I love your pink lady tulip! I just love flowers. I love seeing Queen Lace growing wild on the side of the road. :)
hugs to you,
Marie

Beatriz said...

Wonderful pics Betsy!
Your country is so beautiful during the spring, we can see all kinds of colors! Here we are in the beginning of auntumn, and a little cold is starting to show in the late afternoon...
Have a nice week!!!

Bia
www.biaviagemambiental.blogspot.com

Pat Tillett said...

Hi Betsy! I know very little about flowers, but I do know that these are beautiful. Your photos are ALWAYS beautiful...

Nancy Chan said...

Hi Betsy, I just came in from my garden. It was wet from last night's heavy downpour. Most of my plants are growing well. The beautiful flowers from your yard is great to look at. I am enjoying your flowers because most of them are not available here except the periwinkle but we don't have blue ones here. Have a wonderful day!

Linda said...

These are beautiful! Some of our early flowers got zapped by the cold, but others are starting to bloom now.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Your flowers are gorgeous, Betsy! My favorite daffy is the double. We have redbuds blooming now and they are so pretty. I just wish they could bloom all summer! Take care and enjoy your beautiful spring flowers! xo Cheryl

Wendy said...

So nice to see spring flowers in your garden Betsy! Love those colours. I love the cheerful yellow daffys the best of all!
Hugs

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The periwinkle sure is pretty. We don't have as many Spring flowers here in Florida but Amaryllis is blooming in lots of flower beds right now. Enjoy your afternoon! Hugs, Diane