Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, August 22, 2016

FLOWERS from BILTMORE, August 4, 2016 (Need Help with Identification)

1.  My Facebook Friends (Thanks to YOU) identified this one as Chenille --with several names,  the most common being "Love Lies Bleeding";  The 'official' name is Amaranthus.
Since George and I have season's passes to the Biltmore House and Gardens in Asheville,  North Carolina,  we like to visit there 3-4 times a year during different seasons to check out all of the gardens to see what is blooming.  August is a great time to visit (except for the hot temperatures) since we love seeing not only the Walled Garden (which is always gorgeous) but especially the Water Lilies and lily pads at the Italian Gardens.

I will have an upcoming blog showing the Lilies and Lily Pads--but TODAY,  I'm showing you some of the 'different' flowers we saw blooming this month.   The flower above is one I love --but had no idea its name until some  friends on Facebook told me.

SO---since many of you KNOW the names of flowers,  hopefully you can help me with their names...  I'll number the pictures --so that you can name them by the number for easy reference.   BUT--even if you (like me) don't know all of the names,  I hope you will just enjoy seeing the beauty.


2.   This little fuzzy yellow one was from a plant growing in the water.  Another picture of this one is below. Name? 



Pretty little yellow flowers in the water in the Italian Gardens.  (See close-up above);  Name?



3.  Such a pretty border along the path in the Walled Garden;   IMPATIENS  (I think);  I used to plant Impatiens in Summer --but rabbits kept eating it... Impatiens and Vinca are both such pretty annuals.



4.  Such a pretty bush;  Love the leafy colors;  Name?



5.  Another pretty purple flower --also growing in water in the Italian Gardens;  Name?



6. Such a pretty and happy RED flower;  Name?????



7. This is not a very good picture of this purple flowered plant...  BUT--the purple (from a distance)  added to the garden.  Name?



8. I couldn't get a close-up of this tiny white flower --growing in water at the Italian Gardens.  BUT--it was so tiny --yet so full of beauty.   Name?



9.  I love this one....   And the foliage was also beautiful.  Name?



10.   Wonder if you have any idea what this cute little one is?????????   Looks like a flying bird of some kind!!!!! ha ha .... TRULY,  it's a kind of ORCHID.... Amazing, huh?



11. I know this one since I used to have the multi-colored COLEUS on the right.  BUT--have you ever seen the scarlet red COLEUS?????   It's so pretty in one's garden or yard...



12.  Another beauty I have no idea what its name is....  Do you know?



13. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this one... Isn't it gorgeous?  Bet this one will make you smile for sure!!!!!   NAME?
Well  my Friends... Hopefully,  some of you who know flowers can help name some of these.  I love flowers --but know so little about SO many of them...

Even if you don't know the names,  I hope some of these made you smile today.  As you can imagine,  I will have many more pictures from our 8/4/16 trip to Biltmore to share...

Have a wonderful day/week.

Hugs,

42 comments:

Ann said...

WOW. I can't help with names but I sure enjoyed seeing all of these. Number 10 is simply stunning and I agree it does kind of look like a bird. The first one is gorgeous too.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Betsy! These are all gorgeous flowers and plants. I wish I could help with the names, the orchid one reminds me of the lady slipper orchid. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

David said...

Betsy, Beautiful flower photos... However, since I have a hard time remembering what day it is, identifying flowers is way out of my league! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

George said...

I'm sorry I don't know the name of these flowers, but I'm positive they (and your photos) are beautiful.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

#5 might be pickerel weed. I know I should recognize most of them but I have to look them up every year. We have a wonderful Wildflower ID book for that area. It's sold in most of the gift shops there. Enjoy your week sweet lady. Hugs, Diane

Big Dude said...

They all look very pretty and great shots as usual.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

It certainly is beautiful there this time of year! I enjoyed seeing it through your eyes!

Small City Scenes said...

Beautiful flowers and great shots you took. I know several of the plant names but to be sure would have to look them up. And maybe I will.
Enjoy the day
MB

LV said...

Betsy, thanks for sharing this beautiful world of flowers. Never saw many of them. What a pleasure to view through your lens as I probably will never get that way again.

Betsy said...

Goodness these are beautiful flowers Betsy. However, I never know the names of any flowers unless they're very, very common ones.
Good luck identifying them!
BLessings,
Betsy

Arkansas Patti said...

Oh dear, I count on you for identities. I'm no help but that first one is just stunning. I am a faithful Vinca planter. They are no fuss and thrive where most plants don't. You really get your money's worth with your yearly pass. Always glad when you make the trip and take us along.

linda m said...

#7 kinda looks like lavender. They are all very beautiful. Mu mother always had the red coleus plants.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have done so badly. The flowers are so exotic and unusual that I do not know ANY of them! Except the Amaranth and Coleus. Wow, I am so surprised there are all these gorgeous flowers when it is almost September! I think my favorite are all those coleus. Very common, but today it is the most beautiful to me!!

Marcia said...

It's too bad the Biltmore gardeners don't provide labels for the flowers. Some of those I know I"ve seen but don't have names for. #7 may be Russian sage. They are all lovely.
By the way, the heat here broke last night - gorgeous temps today.

Connie said...

Beautiful flowers, Betsy! I'm afraid I'm no help with the names. Coleus is the only one I recognized, and you already knew that one, of course! :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

Reading through the comments,I see that I am not the only who doesn't know the names.I do know that you captured a lot of beauty and that's good enough for me.

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

All so pretty. Like Eileen above, I was thinking #10 might be lady's slipper.

Pat Tillett said...

I don't know what most of them are, but I do do know that your photos of them are GORGEOUS!

Susie Swanson said...

Wow, what beauty. #6 looks like some i have. they're called Sun-patiens. They're in the Impatiens family but unlike them these love the sun. I can't help you out on any of the others but curious myself to know what they are. Hugs and Blessings, xo

Deb J. in Utah said...

Such lovely flowers! Thanks, Betsy!

The Furry Gnome said...

You sure manage to find some unusual flowers! Nice poctures too.

Linda G. said...

Nice pictures of the pretty flowers.

Unknown said...

I am the same as everyone else, although I did recognize the Vinca! #4 & #13 I would love to know too, both so beautiful and unusual. I have always wanted to visit the Biltmore estate, hopefully one day.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

oh they are so gorgeous even if we dont know the names. I think the Biltmore could have some fancy flowers to go with the fancy house? I am so interested in the place, Just sad George Vanderbilt didnt get to live in it very long.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

ALl gorgeous amd mostly unusual plants and I have seen some of them in the greenhouse at the Botanical Gardens in Belfast. Sorry, canot help on anymore ID Betsy.

Linda P said...

Thank you for sharing your photos of the bedding and water-loving plants in Biltmore Estate at this time of the year. I know you like to go there with George. No. 6 is another variety of Impatiens (Busy Lizzie), I believe, No. 12 is Pachystachys Lutea - what a name! or(Lollipop or Golden Shrimp Plant). Looking forward to seeing the lilies and lily pads. Linda :)

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful series Betsy. I would love to go to Biltmore. I see Linda P ID'd the one in the 12th photo. I recognized it immediately as I first saw them at the Philadelphia Flower Show a few years ago. You can read about them here:

https://m.usbg.gov/plants/lollipop-flower

Lowcarb team member said...

Well ... I just love all these blooms.
Name or no-name!

All the best Jan

happyone said...

Wow some strange and beautiful blooms. Sorry can't help you with the names.

Kirigalpoththa said...

Nice flowers. We do have Amaranthus in tropics too.

Small Kucing said...

My mom have plant number 1. She call it monkey tail.lol.

2. Snowflake water lily. I have the white ones but have not bloom for me yet.

8. Is the white snowflake water lily

11. Yes i have seen the red ones. And friend told me that to keep them alive, i hv to pluck away the flowers.

12.i had that before but it died. Am not sure what's the name.

As for the rest of the plants, i don't know the name but they sure look lovely

BeachGypsy said...

Hi Betsy, so glad you enjoyed the post about the old alley. I love going up and down all the alleys here...all so different and have their own personality. I love all the pretty flowers on your post here....I think Number 10 may be wild orchids. I think we have them growing in the swampy forest areas here too.. All the flowers are just gorgeous and so many of these I have NEVER SEEN BEFORE! Glad you shared them

Lux G. said...

Love Lies Bleeding. Now that's an interesting name. It looks beautiful. Everything here actually looks lovely. Such an instant mood booster.

Janie said...

Thanks for sharing your flower viewing, Betsy. I don't know any of the names, but I love looking at them. The orchid is my favorite.

SimplySingleSenior said...

Someone else may have already answered but I think #10 is a lady's slipper. Don't know about the others but they are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

WOW! No words to tell about the beauty of the flowers. Felt happy in seeing the flowers.

troutbirder said...

I like Arboretums that label things but then forget the names by the time I get home. Oh well....:)

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

These are all gorgeous, Betsy. That little orchid is just amazingly intricate. And I love whatever that is in the last shot, too. We're home from our travels. Still tired and recuperating, though.

diane b said...

I've seen a lot of these on this side of the world too. They are all pretty. I think #6 is Impatients

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Seriously stunning flowers!

Unknown said...

beautiful photos! hope you can visit our blog too! Thanks and have a nice day!

www.themomentkeepers.com

A Colorful World said...

Beautiful photos, Betsy! Each flower is so unusual...I really love the little ones growing from lily pads. I've never seen anything like them before. Biltmore Gardens is such a great place to see all kinds of flowers! I haven't been to your blog in such a long time! been seeing your facebook posts, but when I'm active on my blogs, I'm so busy keeping up with the memes...I forget to come on over! Forgive the lapses! I also of course have been taking a break and will be taking a few more before the move is over...