Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, March 30, 2015

Lots and Lots of DAFFODILS in our Yard

1. The First Daffodils we ever planted... George's Daddy gave us these little guys so we've always called them the Dad Adams Daffodils.  They are very special to us.
Well---March is almost over.   Hard to believe that time is flying by!!!!!  The good news for us is that,  after a frigid weekend (with FREEZE WARNINGS and temperatures dipping down into the low 20's) both Friday and Saturday nights,  our yard seemed to make it through the freeze without much damage.  The worst hit were our Hyacinths --but the Daffodils and Pansies seem to be okay.  We covered some of our new growth (including roses)  --so hopefully,  all of them will be fine... AND--we are hoping that this will be the last of our killer freezes this Spring.

Today I want to show you all of the many different types and colors of DAFFODILS we have in our yard.  I grew up calling them JONQUILS  (my mother called them that),  but I've also heard others call them BUTTERCUPS... Whatever you call them,  they are so pretty.  Many states plant them along the interstate highways --and they will spread and are so gorgeous...

When I ask most people their favorite Daffodil,  most will say the 'normal' total yellow ones... I agree---but there are also some other beauties.  SO---today,  look at all of these and see if you can pick a favorite (other than the 'normal' ones)....  I have two favorites which are both exquisite.  One is the white one with a red trumpet (No. 13) --and the other is the total white one (No. 14).  BUT---some of the ruffly/frilly ones are neat also...

NOTE:  We used to know all of the specific 'names' of our daffodils --but the last couple of years,  we have added more and bought them in collections.  With a collection,  one never knows what he/she is getting... SO---we decided just to enjoy them and not worry about their names.   Sit back,  get a cup of coffee or hot tea and enjoy our Daffodils!!!! Most all of these were taken around 3/26/15.  (Click on them for enlargements.)


2. Yellow Petals/Yellow Frilly Trumpet  



3. Yellow/Yellow Daffodil with the Pointed Petals



4. Some smaller Quail Daffodils we got a year ago;  They will bloom and bloom!


5. Another yellow Daffodil --but with an orange trumpet



6. A beautiful Daffodil (love the 'frilly' orange and yellow trumpet)... This one turns more and more YELLOW as it ages, and ends up being totally yellow.



7.  Now to more of the ones with White Petals:  White Petals with a bright orange trumpet;  Another gorgeous Daffodil!



8.   This one has a neat frilly yellow/orange trumpet which spreads out through the entire Daffodil.   (Picture taken by George)



9.  And if you like more of a pastel look,  this one has white petals and a soft and frilly apricot-colored trumpet.



10.  Here's a group showing off their white petals and pale yellow, long trumpets.


11.  Here's another one with white petals and a yellow trumpet.  BUT--unlike the one above, the trumpet on these is opened and flatter.  See the differences?




12.  Here's a very interesting Daffodil with the white petals growing all around the orange/yellow trumpet.... 

13.  White petals/Red bordered trumpet  (Definitely a favorite of mine!)



14.  Love this one too;  It is a solid white --although the sun causes the trumpet to look like a very pale yellow... What a gorgeous Daffodil!!!!
Well---you get the idea!!!!  There are MANY different Daffodils --just like there are when talking about most flowers... Some of them are similar --but if you look at them closely,  there are usually distinct differences.

We have more Daffodils to bloom in our yard ---so depending upon what they are,  I may have some new ones to show later... Hope you enjoyed seeing this group today.  Now it's your turn.  PICK a FAVORITE.. I even numbered them for you --so that you could choose easily!!!!!!  Let's see which one comes out the winner today!!!!!

Have a blessed HOLY WEEK---leading up to EASTER this coming Sunday!  Enjoy SPRING and the beautiful flowers.  Thanks be to God.

Hugs,

53 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

If I am only allowed one favourite, then it is no 13

Ms. A said...

Loving numbers 6 & 9!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Betsy, they are all favorites. So pretty. It is much too hard to pick a favorite. Happy Monday!

linda m said...

They are all so pretty but my favorite is #5.

Marcia said...

Can't choose. I like them all. The ones closest to the house here are swollen with buds. Out along the glen its just peeps of green showing for now.

Rambling Solo said...

I never think of myself as a pastel person, but I love #9. My normal yellow self likes #2. And then there's #11.

Love it when words define relationships. My mother called some daffodils jonquils and others daffodils, but I may never have known which was which. Bet your mother could have told me.
Sallie

Big Dude said...

Looking really colorful around your place Betsy.

Out on the prairie said...

13 for me, but I love them all. I have a lot naturalized around my yard, and lots in beds.

From the Kitchen said...

I especially love daffodils because they come back every year to "visit". Still no sign of anything around here but it can happen quickly.

Best,
Bonnie

The Furry Gnome said...

Boy, you sure have a lot of Daffodils! My favourite is still the original yellow one, #2. More snow here last night!

Linda Kay said...

That's a huge variety of daffys! I'm still partial to yellow with the orange center, or all yellow.

George said...

I didn't realize we had so many different varieties in our yard. They're all beautiful, but if I had to pick a favorite I'd pick the last one.

David said...

Betsy, My favorites are 6, 10 and 13! Your whole yard must be a riot of color! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Sylvia K said...

Amazing to see them after the winter you have had!! They're all gorgeous, but I think my favorite is #9!! Exquisite!! Hope you have a lovely week, Betsy!!

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

I love almost all daffodils. The only ones I don't really care for are the ones with pink trumpets. You have so many beauties in your garden. Some of my oldest daffodils are called (I think) Ice Follies and they turn from bi-color to white as they age.

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

Wow, what a cool collection !
Daffodils are beautiful flowers and all your beauties are excellent. Can't select one specifically, all are very beautiful.
Betsy, this is a wonderful post :)

Small City Scenes said...

I like all the colors of daffodils. We have several colors growing in our yard. Some are so wonderfully scented and some not. I have one I really and it is called Texas Gold.
MB

Ann Thompson said...

I like them all and no matter what they look like it's always a pleasure to see them in the spring

Betsy said...

Your daffodils are so pretty. I'm so happy for you that the weather didn't do too bad of damage to your pretty blooms.
Blessings,
Betsy

Latane Barton said...

Oh my, I can't pick a favorite, they are all so beautiful. Glad they survived the cold.

Ginny Hartzler said...

WOW WOW WOW! And about time, after such a winter! I once asked George the difference between daffodils and jonquils. Phil asked me, and now I cannot remember. Except that one is shorter? There are awesome! And does that one have a triple bloom? I think my favorite is the very frilly one. I also love the solid white! Wow, is that a new one for you?

Ginny Hartzler said...

I just showed Phil. He was stunned, and said he never knew there are different kinds. He asked me if I had known. I said yes, but only because of you and George.

Terri D said...

How can you pick a favorite when they are all so lovely and they all scream SPRING!!! :)

DeniseinVA said...

It is hard to pick a favorite Betsy, they'are all gorgeous! Isn't it wonderful seeing the daffodils again? I am back to posting and visiting after a short break. It is good to be back. Have a great week!

Dorothy said...

They are ALL favorites of mine! Nothing says "Spring!" like the Daffodils. I have some like yours but not all of them. Enjoy your Spring!

Judy said...

I love daffodils. When I see them, I know Spring has finally arrived. I have an assortment in our front yard. They are through the ground but it will be a week or two before we see actual blooms. A favourite?? Whichever one is currently flowering. I'm glad mine stagger their openings. Your pictures are great.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I had no idea there were so many types!

My pansies were not happy with the cold spell last weekend. I'm hoping they'll perk up some as the week warms up.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh my! To pick only one favourite is HARD. It would likely be a tie between 9 and 13. I really like them all but these two stand out above the rest. FYI,I am sitting outside with my laptop and enjoying the sunshine and the twittering of the birds.

Nellie said...

I like those white ones with the orange trumpet, but I think the last one that is totally white would be my favorite.

I hope this is the last of freezing temps, too, though it is doubtful.:( There is that "dogwood winter" we have to go through yet - plus blackberry winter and countless others.

Have a blessed Holy Week.

xo Nellie

Arkansas Patti said...

You have such a lovely selection but #6 gets my vote.
It is so special that Dad Adams's have continued to flourish. Seeing them has to be a sweet reminder that a part of him lives on.
We called them Jonquils also.

Lux G. said...

Lovely blooms! :D

Lola said...

Love them all. Sadly mine have fnished.

Lana's LIfe said...

#2 :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, One of my all-time favorite flowers! When I first moved to the Lake St. George house, I planted a bunch of border Daffodils in the backyard along both staircases down to the dock. Who knows if current owner still has them. Anyway, I really do love these lovely flowers. Have a great day tomorrow.

LV said...

They all my favorites. Hard to pick just one, but No. 13 seem to catch and hold my eye longer. You yard has to a small piece of heaven on earth.

Roses and Lilacs said...

The pink one is just gorgeous! I like the doubles too. You have a great selection.

Shug said...

Can I have two favorites? I choose no. 6 and no. 13. I like the frills. all of them are so pretty...I just wish they bloomed all Spring and Summer. Glad they survived your harsh winter...
hugs

Chatty Crone said...

Your header shows snow but your yard says flowers!!!!!!!! I love them. Wish i had more flowers in my yard!!!

Andrea said...

Oh yes Betsy, you have lots and lots of daffodils. I love bulbs but daffs are not growing in the tropics. I wish you have a wide angle shot of your entire garden with the daffs, just like what you did before with the roses.

Marie said...

they are all beautiful, but I really like 13. :)

Vanessa Morgan said...

Flowers are always ideal subjects to photograph. Well done.

Anonymous said...

How lovely to see the daffs in bloom! It's still cold and snowy over here.

A Colorful World said...

Beautiful daffodils! Sorry your return freezes have been a problem for some of the flowers. Glad you guys got away for George's birthday!

Connie said...

They're all gorgeous, but I choose #13.

Susie Swanson said...

They're all so beautiful but number one is my choice as well. Hugs and many Easter Blessings, xo

Janice K said...

With all the cold weather you have had recently, I'm surprised how everything is blooming. Our Daffodils are in bud, but so far nothing is blooming.

Have a Blessed Easter.

Janice K said...

With all the cold weather you have had recently, I'm surprised how everything is blooming. Our Daffodils are in bud, but so far nothing is blooming.

Have a Blessed Easter.

Manzanita said...

A beautiful selection of daffodils. You must spend all days in your garden.

troutbirder said...

Love all those daffodils and can't wait for ours to show up through the remaining snowbanks...:)

Janie said...

You have a great variety of daffodils. I love them all!

Carletta said...

You have so many! All so lovely for spring and here before Easter.
I checked yesterday and I have buds still. HOPING to have some blooms by Easter Sunday.
My favorite of yours is #12. I don't think I've ever seen that combination.

Small City Scenes said...

APRIL FOOL'S DAY!!!

I'm not really here.
MB

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Awesome photos! I love all of your beautiful flowers.
Have a blessed Easter.