Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Monday, January 19, 2015

Catching Up ---Christmas and Beyond

Two Bloggers meet:  Ruth and Betsy together AT LAST!
Sorry I have been missing in action lately---but wanted to share some pictures from our month with you today.  Despite my knee problems and knee surgery (Jan. 8),  we did have a great Christmas and so far,  January has been good also. 

The picture above was taken on December 29, 2014 at the Cracker Barrel Restaurant in Nashville,  Tennessee.  Ruth Heibert  (Ruth's Photo Blog) and friend Gwen came to Nashville to attend a special Gospel Music Convention.  SO---since we are only 2.5 hours from there,  George and I  drove over to Nashville,  picked them up at their hotel and took those two Canadian ladies to the Cracker Barrel for a good ole' southern dinner..... They both enjoyed Chicken and Dumplings for the first time ---and CORNBREAD.    (Can you imagine ANYONE going through life without cornbread????? ha ha ha)

I have met LOTS of bloggers (and I love all of you) --but Ruth and I have been very special friends for many years ---back when we both started blogging... To say that finally getting to meet her was special is an understatement.  She is EXTREMELY special to both George and me.  We love her so much---and are already thinking about when we will meet again. Thanks, Ruth,  for coming to Tennessee!!!!!!  Come back SOON.


Landon (college),  Avery--age 16,  Bay Lee (college) and Brooke (graduating from high school in June)
The next day,  December 30,  George and I drove to Chattanooga to meet up with two of my three sons and their families...   Seeing these adorable grandchildren just made Christmas for this Grammy!!!!!  Aren't they beautiful --including Bay Lee's tiny little doggie!!  Landon and Avery are Jeff's children and Bay Lee and Brooke are Mark's children.  We were SO glad to see them and spend the day with them.



George with his little girl (Kelly) and her hubby (Chuck)
That same week (on January 2)---George and I drove back to Nashville to celebrate Christmas,  New Year's AND Kelly's Birthday (Jan.1) with them.  It was a cold and dreary day ---but we had a great time,  having a delicious lunch/dinner at the Dan McGuinness Irish Pub in West Nashville.  George and I both enjoyed Shepherd's Pie --which we hadn't had in a long time... It was a great day!


George enjoying his new camera lens,  a Tamron lens, 16 to 300mm
After all of the other trips we had after Christmas,  Christmas Day was spent at home with just the two of us enjoying one another.  I went 'away' from tradition this year (yipes) and we had a delicious Honey Ham (instead of turkey),  some scalloped potatoes,  green beans,  sliced tomatoes, baby carrots, pickles and cranberry relish.  For dessert,  we enjoyed some Dutch Apple Pie with vanilla ice cream on top... YUM...  (Since we still had turkey left-over from Thanksgiving,  we decided that ham would be a nice change.  And it was ---although I struggle with changing traditions... ha)

I gave George this nice lens ----but somehow,  his bride has already taken it away from him... He 'wants' me to use it so that I won't have to change lens so often... If I like it,  I may just have to buy another one for his birthday for HIM.... ha ha


Willow Figurine named HERO
George gave me lots of really nice things for Christmas ---and this was definitely one of my favorites.  Since I collect WILLOW Angels/Figurines,  I was thrilled to get this one (which I had never seen before).   Reminded me of a widow of a United States Military man killed in action.. Makes me cry!!!!  OH how I appreciate our Armed Forces and what they do for us...  Isn't HERO a gorgeous figurine?



Three new ornaments on our Christmas Tree this year depicting our 2014 trips
Besides many day trips and short trips in 2014,  George and I took 8 longer trips.  Six of them are on the ornament on the left:  Strasburg,  VA and the Shenandoahs;  West Virginia (Cass Railroad) for our anniversary;  Maggie Valley NC and the Blue Ridge Pkwy with friends;  Mt. Nebo, Arkansas with friends;  Blowing Rock, NC  for my birthday;  and Hocking Hills,  Ohio for George's birthday.   The ornament in the middle was from our trip to  Texas to visit 2 sons/families in Sept.   AND the one on the right is from our beach trip in May to Ocean Isle,  NC.  That cute ornament made me laugh since Santa is dressed up with his beach attire.  We had planned to go back to Ocean Isle the first of December --but my 'bum knee' cancelled that trip temporarily. 


Mama Says:  "Now Sweeties,  SMILE for the camera!"
I just had to include this funny picture of sons Jeff and Mark on December 30 in Chattanooga...  That was such a fantastic day together as a crazy family ---which we are... My sons were in RARE form telling stories about their childhoods and lives... I've never laughed so hard in my life.  Of course,  I told a few stories myself that day!!!!!! 



Two crazy people on Christmas Morning at our home!!!!!  

After looking at this photo,  you will know where those two funny guys in the picture above this one get their craziness.... Do you think their Nutty Mama had anything to do with it????????? (Don't answer that!  ha ha)

Speaking of a Nutty Mama,  I was barely standing and not doing much walking on Christmas morning... But---how could anyone keep a crippled girl from dancing on Christmas?   (I do think that George was there to catch me if I fell!!!!! ha)


A very happy Mom and her Three Sons  (on January14, 2015)
This is a picture that I will cherish forever... I seldom get to see all three of my sons together ---but did on January 14  (which was only 6 days after my knee surgery).  From left to right:  Mark--45;  Me--old woman;  Jeff--43;  and Bert (called Tre)--51.

What brings families together more than anything else?  FUNERALS.....  My sons' wonderful Grandmother died and her funeral was that day in Knoxville,  TN.  Laura Wilhite (age 99) was loved by all,  including me (since she was my ex-mother-in-law) and my sons and grandchildren.

Even though I was still re-cooping after surgery,  I cleaned up and we went to the funeral... I did great that day --but really felt the pain the following day... BUT--it was worth it and I am very glad I went.  Just having my sons with me for a few hours was worth everything.


Hope all of you had a very Merry Christmas.
Finally,  I want to wish each of you a Happy 2015.... I INTEND to have a great one.  I apologize for being away from blogging for so long. To look at all of these pictures,  you'd think I was doing GREAT... Truth be told ---it has not been easy for me.  I will do an entire blog about my knee/surgery/recovery, etc.  sometime  AFTER I am totally well and back to myself again... But--just know that I am okay and am gradually getting better and better.  Thanks be to God.

I will try to be back to blogging again sometime the first week or two in  February.  In the meantime,  be sure to check out my January quotes on my sidebar.  There are some good ones...

Thanks for all of the comments/emails/Facebook comments/messages/texts,  etc... George has even had people asking about me on his blog.  That is SO sweet that so many people care.  God Bless You ALL.  I have so many wonderful friends.

Hugs,

71 comments:

Ms. A said...

Even with your bum knee, you manage to have such a jam packed, busy life. Once you are healed, there's no telling what we will be seeing! You just can't be kept down, girl!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

By looking at your smiling face, you would not know that you had just had knee surgery and are recovering from that.

It looks like you had a great time with family.

Have a wonderful 2015 and my your healing be swift and complete dear Betsy.

FlowerLady

Jeevan said...

Wow! It’s really great to see you enjoy the Christmas and having fun with your sons and grandchildren with the painful knee. Your spirit and energy truly amazes and also inspiring... Hope the years ahead are enhanced with happiness and good in health. Wonderful photos and I love the way u marked the 2014 with ornaments.

Cheers Betsy

Fun60 said...

So good to see your post pop up on the blog feed this morning. I am not very good at keeping up to date via facebook so relished your post. Favourite photo has to be the one with you and your three sons. so special when you can all get together although a sad occasion for a reunion. Always in my thoughts.

Ann said...

Wow, even with the bad knee and the surgery you had a busier holiday season that I did. I'm tired just reading about it all...lol

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful post, Betsy! You have a beautiful family! I hope you are feeling better now! Have a happy day!

diane b said...

Great to hear that you are on the mend. I hope you keep improving. I can imagine how much pleasure you had in being with al 3 sons together, You'll love George's lens. I have a 18 to 250 and I never change lenses except for macro and prime.

Jeanne said...

So glad to see you had such a good Christmas in spite of your knee pain. The picture of you and your sons is great!
Hope your knee continues healing and you and George are back to your waterfalls soon!

Heidrun Khokhar, KleinsteMotte said...

What a busy time both before and after op. I am sure the moments of pain clouded things a tiny bit but your post shows your courage and determination to try to dwell on what's good no matter what
. That is an admirable quality. Looking forward to future posts and also a great 2015. hugs

Big Dude said...

Looks like you've stayed plenty busy. Thanks for catching us up.

Out on the prairie said...

A beautiful smile to see! Nice that you were so blessed for the holiday season. Hope you get back in the swing of things quick.I am shocked about the cornbread. I made a pot of beans and cornbread for a good Sunday dinner yesterday.

Marcia said...

Glad to hear from you. I've been thinking about you and wondered if that surgery threw you for a loop. take care and take time to heal.

Janice K said...

So glad to hear you are recovering from your surgery. I loved seeing them picture of you with your 3 sons. I sometimes wonder if I will ever see all of my children together at the same time again. I was also happy to hear of your get together with Ruth. I enjoy her blog also.

Shug said...

In spite of suffering from a bad knee, you pulled off a lot of joyful moments during the Christmas season. Such happiness can be seen on your face in each of these photos. Your Zeal for life is amazing....Love you dear friend and I look forward to seeing ALL that this year hold for you and George! Sweet hugs to you both...
shug

Rajiv Sankarapillai said...

wow ! great !
cool post :)

Terri D said...

Betsy, it was great to catch up with you and all that has been going on. Glad you are healing!! Prayers will continue for your recovery! Love all the great photos!

From the Kitchen said...

Love seeing your silly boys!! So glad you've managed to have a lovely holiday despite those knee problems. It's hard to keep a good woman down!!

Best,
Bonnie

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Betsy it is wonderful to hear from you and ALL that you have been up to! Despite your knew surgery, you seem to have had a great time. That is such a precious image of you and your son's. Hope you healing will be quick and you will be back to blogging again soon.

Nellie said...

I have missed you, Betsy, and had wondered about your surgery. I send sympathies on the passing of your sons' grandmother. Be sure to follow doctor's instructions! xo Nellie

Ramakant Pradhan said...

I did read about the get-together with an old friend in George's blog but didn't realize you had some many get-together's after that. Wish you and your family a happy, healthy and prosperous 2015.

linda m said...

In spite of everything that has happened you still have that wonderful smile on your face and your positive attitude. You are an inspiration to me. May God continue to bless you.

George said...

I didn't realize we had such a busy holiday season -- I got tire from just reading your post! But I'm glad we got to see everyone. Now get better so we can add some hiking to our list of activities!

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you and how nice to see you with blogging friends and, of course, your sons!

Hope your knee continues to get better and better.

Tabor said...

Glad to see you back and in the pink of things! Such lovely families on both sides.

David said...

Betsy, Nice summary of your busy Holiday season! Your photos are already great and now you have an even better lens... It sounds like your knee surgery went pretty well. I've had a hip replacement and it went well but I understand that knees take a bit longer to recover. Isn't getting together with family and friends what life is all about?! Wishing you and yours the very best in 2015. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave and Laurie

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm so happy you were able to visit with so many wonderful people this winter. I can only imagine how difficult it is to have fun and FEEL joyful when you're not really feeling great. Prayers for healing.
XOXO

Linda Kay said...

Hi, Betsy...nice to see you back. Looks like you had a lovely holiday with family. Hope your knee is doing well and you can dance again really soon!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I was afraid you had deserted us for Facebook! I am glad to see that the surgery has not held you down! This is a wonderful picture of you and your sons. How on earth did you manage to cook all that food on Christmas? Does George ever help cook?

Sylvia K said...

So good to see your post today and know all is well and that you had such a terrific holiday!! I'm so happy for you!! Do take care -- troublesome knees are NO fun!! I do know about them!! It would seem that your new year is off to a great start!!!

Betsy said...

It is so good to see you back here today. Loved everything about the post except the parts where you hinted at pain from before or after the surgery. I'm praying for you dear Betsy and hope you are soon your usual energetic self.
Blessings,
Betsy

Arkansas Patti said...

One could never tell by the pictures that you were the least bit gimpy. You really took advantage of the holidays and had a splendid time with your family and friends.
Take as much time as you need but it is good to know you are past the surgery and well enough to post. Rest up and do what you need for a complete recovery.

DeniseinVA said...

A great post Betsy, so many things to take in and all those lovely photos with your sweet family, with George and your good friends. I'm so glad you are on the mend as I know you must have had a tough time with the pain after your op. Take good care of yourself, I know George is giving you lots and lots of TLC :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

I am so humbled to read those kind words Betsy. Yes,I too love all my blogging friends ,but with some,like you,I have a very special bond.I love you and am so thankful we got to meet.We most certainly MUST do it again.

Terry and Linda said...

You are such a good friend, Betsy! This was really a fun post!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Kay said...

OH wow! What a beautiful holiday season you had, Betsy. Family time is the absolute BEST! I'm so glad you are recuperating so well from the surgery.

Sharon said...

Please know that my silence doesn't mean I haven't thought about you time and time again. Both on your surgery day and every day since. So happy to see these pictures of your smiling face! Hoping we can get together again soon. I so enjoyed that day.

Tanna said...

So glad to see a post from you, Betsy. I know recovery can be a jagged hill to climb and I wish you all the speediest road to complete healing and full strength!!

Love all the family photos! Families who laugh and smile and have a good time are just the best! blessings ~ tanna

LV said...

Glad to hear from you and that you are doing okay. Been thinking of you. I have missed you and I wish a speedy recovery. I do not understand how you have been able to hike so much with bad knees. Take care and tell George I appreciate his visits.

Latane Barton said...

What a special Christmas you two had. I know that your knee has hampered you in so many ways but I am looking forward to hearing about you kicking up your heels and heading down a trail really soon.

Connie said...

So nice to see all these wonderful photos of the last month, Betsy. I know you enjoyed spending the time with your family, and how wonderful that you got to meet another blog friend too! I hope your knee continues to heal, and that you soon feel fine again.

Chatty Crone said...

Okay you do more with an injury and surgery then I do without that.

You met so many people and saw your sons.

A nice Christmas.

A sad funeral but 99!

Glad you did so well with the surgery!

Love your angel.

carolina nana said...

WISHING YOU A SPEEDY RECOVERY BETSY.BLESSINGS AND PRAYERS
MARILYN

amanda said...

What a great Christmas and New Year update! Glad you are recovering well and enjoyed so much family time.
That lens sounds like FUN!!! I've always been on the lookout for a most versatile lens - that ones sounds like a winner.

Small Kucing said...

Happy New Year Betsy. Am so glad despite the knee problem, you are still your cheerful self :)

Joy said...

nice reading updates from you Betsy. so nice to see your family. They are all adorable.
Yes, we go through life's ups and downs, but good to know that God is always with us. Get well soon:)

Jarka Panci said...

Betsy, I'm glad your knee is healing. It is beautiful, that you met with all three sons-beautiful photo. I wish you good health in the new year (healthy knee) and a lot a lot of beautiful trips. Your blog is amazing. Jarka

Rose ~ from Oz said...

May you continue to heal Betsy, and wishing you and George a truly joyous new year, and this was a wonderful newsy catch-up post, I enjoyed every word!
HugsRose

MTWaggin said...

So glad you are doing well and your knee is healing. Looks like you had a busy holiday season and I'm not surprised. Glad so much was filled with family and friends. Get well soon!!!!

Small City Scenes said...

Of course we missed you Betsy but do follow on FB also. How wonderful to see you and your sons together. Happy photo.
Glad the knee surgery is all over with too.
Happy and peaceful New Year to you and George.
MB

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Glad you are doing well in spite of the surgery. Lots of fun pictures!

BB said...

I can see where your lovely grandchildren get their smiles. From Grandma!! Wonderful pictures and so glad you got to meet your blogger friend. There are a few here in FL that I intend to meet as well. Hopefully this year. Great blog!

A Brit in Tennessee said...

So very happy to read you had a wonderful Christmas, and your surgery went well !
You have a fun family, I can see where all the laughter comes from, you and George such happy people.
You've been busy....surgery hasn't keep you down in the least.
Continued best wishes for a speedy recovery sweet lady.
~Jo

Susannah said...

Glad your surgery is over and you are getting along well. Soon you will be out on the trail with your great hubby again! I can see the fun you must have with your boys!!!! We do,too, with our family! It is so good to laugh!

Happy New Year to you and George!

Susannah

Peaches McGinty said...

Hi Betsy!
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, obviously I do send my sincere condolences on the passing of your beloved Laura Wilhite.
You and George have such a beautiful family and such fun you all have! it's precious when we are all together isn't it? Phew! I'm relieved your knee surgery is over and you are on the road to recovery, although I can't imagine how sore it must be, I do send lots of love and wish you a speedy recovery- I always love your sidebar quotes, always! I confess, I have never had cornbread!! we don't have it here, I'm clearly missing out on something yummy! x x x

Linda said...

I'm glad you are okay. Don't overdo; "Let George do it."

Nice to see such fun pictures!

Linda P said...

So glad you were able to update us and can see that you had a good family Christmas holiday. George looks after you so well. I'm happy to see your smiling face, but know you need to take it easy so that you recover well and get back to your normal, active self. Bless you and George.

Rose said...

I am so glad your got to see those grands...they are all such good-looking kids. And wonderful that you got to see your sons...no matter what the reason.

Betsy, you are an inspiration...never hear you complain. And you always look on the bright side...I used to be more like that. But not so much any nore. Oh, I still talk back to myself and point out all my blessings. But I still complain sometimes.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, your 3 sons shot is so so sweet. i love that shot. your one sons reminds me of my mom's cousin ... does that make him my 2nd cousin. i forget how those lines go??! any who. what a fun post. i am happy you got to see Ruth. i love her. she is such a sweetheart. love the holiday shots too. what fun!! you feel better. please keep us posted. ( :

Elizabeth Edwards said...

weird, did you start looking at your comments... i wonder? it did not show up yet?? i wonder??! this is the 2nd comment i am leaving. i do scratch my head about that??!?! blogger are you acting weird. ( :

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, Glad you're back in action! You have my condolences on the passing of your former Mother in Law. Glad you got to visit with your blog friends. That is always fun. Have a fabulous Thursday!

Out on the prairie said...

So did you delay the beach? TX sounds nice to me, what was your sons resort?

Susie Swanson said...

Awww you have such a beautiful way of bringing cheer in spite of your pain.I love your pics and you have such a beautiful family. I think of you often and I'm so glad your doing better. I'm sure you're gonna come back in a hurry. Can't keep a good woman down .. You continue to take care of yourself. I'm sending up lots of prayers for you. Hugs, xo

Rohrerbot said...

Mmmmmmm.....Shephard's Pie! Delish! I'm glad you're doing well and things are returning back to "normal" again. It's always fun to meet other bloggers and I'm glad you met Ruth! You know that if you and George ever come to visit Tucson, we're going to be having lunch somewhere, right:)? We'll do some light and fun birding that isn't just birds. I'll you guys to the Desert Museum my treat:) All my best.....Shephard's Pie......mmmmmmm:)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Betsy and George you both had a wonderful 2014, and I hope that 2015 will be even better, filled with good health and happiness and many blessings! Betsy I know your knee pain and surgery was not a pleasant way to end 2014 and begin 2015, but it could have been so much worse, and I'm glad your doctor was able to help you and that you are well on your way to recovery. I hope you will have many fun and exciting trips away this year and will bring all your fabulous photos for us all to see! God bless you both!

Carletta said...

So nice to see you blogging. I've had meniscus surgery so I know what you've been going through. Keep taking it easy. Your photos are lovely. A really wonderful shot of you and your sons.

Starry Dawn said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, BETSY, GEORGE, FAMILY, BELOVED ONES!
I LOVE YOUR BLOG & PHOTOS.
YOU'VE GOT A WONDERFUL FAMILY.
I PRAY YOU GET WELL SOON.
HAVE A FANTASTIC YEAR, BETSY!
HOPE, STRENGTH, PEACE & LOVE,
STARRY.

Beth said...

Sure sounds like an awesome holiday! i'm so glad you were able to enjoy all your family. Wonderful pic of you and your sons---that is indeed priceless.
Glad to hear you're recovering---sorry about the pain. Take care. ♥B

Manzanita said...

It's been delightful, looking at your precious pictures of family and friends. I've been on hiatus too and it's good to see and talk to friends again.Time is almost here to be digging in the gardens then I'll again be thinking of you.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Hi Betsy!! I am so glad to hear that you are recovering :) we miss your wonderful blog and we look forward to your return!

Betty Manousos said...

hi betsy, i am so glad you are okay, dear.
it sure looks and sounds like a memorable holiday. so nice that you and ruth met. she's such a lovely person.
totally enjoyed your photos. they are beautiful!!

big hugs!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Betsy! I sure hope you are feeling much better now. I'm amazed that you seem to have so much energy even with knee problems. Bottle up some of that energy and send it my way, okay? :) I'm happy that you got to see your sons and had a lovely Christmas. Your photos are all just super!
I'm trying to get myself back into blogging. It's hard to do after a break. I've not been moving very fast as I also have developed a bit of a knee problem and had tendonitis in my "good" ankle. Well, I should say the heel. It hasn't made for getting around very fast! Consequently, I've become a lazy slug. haha!
Take care and get healed up quickly.
Love,
Cheryl