Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Scenic Highway 215, North Carolina --Part II

Our WONDERFUL Friends,  Patti and Neal ---at Lake Logan
On October 22, 2014,   George and I plus good friends Neal and Patti took a wonderful vacation together to the Maggie Valley,  North Carolina area.  One of our days together was spent driving on a scenic back road,  Highway 215.  IF you missed Monday's post ---scroll down to the post below this one and read it first.  In that post,  I gave some links and also gave some information about this area and this beautiful back road. 

Today I will share more photos of our experience on that scenic road.  Be sure to click on the photos for enlargements...


I have been fascinated by this type of bridges.  This historic arched stone bridge (also called the High Arch Bridge or the One Arched Bridge) was built in 1937.  This bridge is located at the Waterfall on the West Fork of the Pigeon River (also called Sunburst Falls)...This area and waterfall -where we took a picture of the four of us in Part I's post-- (waterfall is located to the left of this photo)  was one of my favorite waterfalls of our day/trip...  



Three Arched Stone Bridge
About a mile south of the One Arched Bridge was the Three Arched Bridge on the West Fork.  I enjoyed seeing both of these bridges --built by the CCC.   We just don't see many bridges that look like this these days,  do we?


Another picture  showing the gorgeous Autumn colors in the mountains



I just couldn't quit taking pictures of Fall along Scenic Highway 215



Changing Maple leaves along our way;  Don't you just love all of the colors?



I love to stand under the trees and show you the colors --while looking up to that blue sky!



Neal, Patti,  George, Betsy --at Mill Shoals Falls at the Living Waters Retreat
On Monday,  I showed you a picture of French Broad Falls (which is to the left of this waterfall).  This area is so unique since the North Fork of  the French Broad River combines with Shoal Creek here.  In the picture above, you can see part of an old mill.

Here are a couple of links for you:  for more info and more pictures of the waterfalls in this area,  click HERE.   For more info on the Living Waters Retreat,  click HERE.



I loved hiking in the Living Waters Retreat area... There were several cascades between the 'twin' falls,  French Broad and Mill Shoals.  We stopped to check out all of the cascades.  I would love to come back here in the Winter or early Spring when there is much more water here coming over the falls and cascades.



We finally made it downstream to Cathedral Falls  (also called Bird Rock Falls)... I like the original name,  Bird Rock Falls,  since the Purple Martins used to nest along the top of this HUGE rock cliff.    But I don't blame the Christian Retreat Center for renaming that waterfall.  The towering rock cliff surrounding the falls does like like a cathedral! Gorgeous!



I took several pictures of this gorgeous red tree --as we hiked at the Living Waters Retreat.  I'm partial to RED trees in the Fall.



Talk about a perfect place for a RETREAT!!!  I loved sitting in the 'cathedral' --just thinking about what a marvelous place this is.  I envy anyone coming to a RETREAT at the Living Waters Retreat Center.



This beautiful tree --and the blue sky  was taken on State Road (forest road) 1322
After leaving the Living Waters Retreat Center,  we took a forest service road --searching for another waterfall,  Diamond Creek Falls...  We found the waterfall --but I couldn't get a good picture of it since there were LOTS of trees/shrubs in the way.  Guess we need to go there in winter,  when the leaves are totally off of the trees.

 Well---that's my 'report' from Scenic Highway 215 in North Carolina.  George and I want to come back since there are several more waterfalls along this road to see.  We did see the Bubbling Spring Branch Cascades (from a distance) and we also saw the bottom part of the  Lower Waterfall on Bubbling Spring Branch...  AND--we tried to see Courthouse Falls --but the road was closed.   SO---that's why we need/want to go back sometime!

As you can tell---we saw so many beautiful things along this back road (beautiful lake,  lots of waterfalls and cascades,  AND  beautiful Autumn Colors)... This is why this area was definitely a highlight for us.

Hope you enjoyed these two posts.  I enjoyed sharing them with you!!!

Have a great day.

Hugs,

52 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Love the stone bridges, beautiful fall coloured leaves, waterfalls and the lovely shots of both of you with your friends.

Ms. A said...

More beauty. Love the bridges and all the beautiful fall colors against the blue sky!

Anonymous said...

Awesome fall colors and brilliant blue sky! Those bridges are very nice. I hope you will get to return to some of these spots in early spring. Have a great day.

Out on the prairie said...

Some very nice shots! I like the Cathedral area, the stone is gorgeous. You will have fun revisiting this wonderful area.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

those arches are gorgeous. i love all the waterfalls too. do you know where the waterfalls are in advance? or do you just find them along the way?

what fun! ( :

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I enjoy old bridges too. My favorite is in Manassas on the battlefield, where the Battle of Bull Run was. I have a picture of myself and my brother standing on it when we were kids.

linda m said...

Those old stone bridges are really neat. I just love them. All the waterfalls and Autumn colors you got to see just make for a perfect trip.

Tabor said...

Best time of year to travel! Loving the weather.

Linda Kay said...

Great pictures...my favorite is the arched bridge. Fabulous!

Liene said...

I love stone bridges, and that is a gorgeous one! You've captured the height of fall colors beautifully - thanks for the colorful read this morning!

Terri D said...

Almost too much beauty to capture and take in!! You four had a glorious vacation!! Thanks so much for taking us along through your photographs. I enjoy your pictures and envy your "eye" for composition! Excellent!

George said...

Our day traveling along this road was definitely magical. The autumn colors and the waterfalls just can't be beat.

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous scenery!

LV said...

How wonderful it will be when you two are no longer able to travel, that you have so many wonderful photos to reminisce over. I think it is great. May you continue to enjoy this aspect of your life a long time.

Sylvia K said...

So much colorful beauty and such terrific captures as always, Betsy!! A wonderful trip with good friends and all that beauty!! Doesn't get any better!! Thanks for sharing have a great weekend!!

Terry and Linda said...

I love the 'old world' of your area. We are so much younger here and not so beautiful.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Connie said...

Such gorgeous colors in the leaves, Betsy, and I especially love seeing them against that bright blue sky!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm so jealous that I never get to see RED trees in the fall; they are fabulous! That bridge is such a work of art.....I hope it remains that way forever.....timeless!!
XOXO

Betsy said...

Those colors are amazing. Thank you for sharing with us. I love the bridge too.
Blessings,
Betsy

Jarka Panci said...

Fantastic trip fantastic fotos!
Have a nice day. Jarka

Ruth Hiebert said...

Stunning scenery,made even more beautiful when shared with friends.

happyone said...

All beautiful pictures. I really like the stone arched bridge.
What a difference in the height of Patti and Neal! : )

Arkansas Patti said...

I've been past Maggie Valley several times but always had somewhere else to be. Next time I will look around. You make it look inviting. Those CCC guys do great stone work don't they? They did quite a bit around here also.

Ann Thompson said...

I love those bridges and the fall colors are amazing.

Neal said...

That was a beautiful drive and I would love to go back sometimes.

David said...

Betsy, I love that stone bridge! Great color shots of the fall foliage as well. Of course, I love water and waterfalls so you can't miss there... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Linda said...

Gorgeous scenery! And I do love that bridge!

Linda P said...

The bridge blends in so well with the rocks it looks like part of them it's so cleverly constructed. The red of the maple tree is spectacular. Anyone staying in the retreat centre would be blessed to be in an area of natural beauty. The cliff at Cathedral Falls is awesome.

Sharon said...

We've driven that highway, but it's been awhile so you've inspired me to return. We are so fortunate to live where we do, aren't we? I try to never take it for granted. Spectacular scenery no matter which direction you travel!

Jeevan said...

How wonderful to cover so many waterfalls? You make quite envious living round such blissful environment and nature’s exists. Splendid photos Betsy! Loved the stoned arched bridges, and you are right the modern construction quite abandon the elegant arched bridges.

Cheqna said...

Lovely autumn scenery. Wish I could follow your lovely journey... :-)

BB said...

One good thing about the time spent with Bruce was being able to go with him when he was driving truck. We traveled all through NC, SC and GA and I have to say NC is absolutely stunning in scenery. I cherish the places I got to see but there was so much I didn't see as your pictures have reminded me! I love your choice of pics and the autumnal colors are gorgeous. So glad you had such a good time with your friends too! Hugs XX

Chatty Crone said...

Love fall foliage - I bet this year you get a lot of snowy ones! Supposed to be cold!

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, Well, I am envious of your trip. Beautiful place. I hope to get there some day. We got colder than usual here - dipped into the low 30's at night and low 50's during the day but we are back up to 68 now this afternoon. My veggies were covered the last 2 nights. Have a great day tomorrow!

Our photos said...

Wow, that is a very nice place !

Betty Manousos said...

lovely bridges and i love all the beautiful colors.
i'm envious of your trip, betsy.
your photos make me want to go there.

have a happy thanksgiving!

big hugs~

Betty Manousos said...

loved seeing that gorgeous fall foliage!

DeniseinVA said...

I am loving the places you and George go to Betsy, and how nice to take trips with friends.

Marie said...

beautiful fall colors! It's been pretty chilly here! I just saw that we may have snow the Saturday after Thanksgiving!
hugs,
Marie

Manzanita said...

The bridges are a rare thing of beauty. I bet it's serene being so close to that running water. You look so happy out there, walking in the woods with your camera.

Beatriz said...

Beautiful, beautiful moments and a memorable and unforgettable trip!!!
You always make great choices Betsy!

A big hug from Brazil

<°))))< Bia

eileeninmd said...

Hi Betsy, the stone bridges and fall colors are just beautiful..Looks like a fun time visiting with your friends..Wonderful photos, happy weekend!

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

Oh, what a beautiful trip to take with your beloved and with good friends! Those bridges, those fall colors, the waterfalls -- just amazing!

Shug said...

Your friends are so cute!! Gosh Betsy, these Fall photos are absolutely stunning. The colors are magnificent!!
I know that this trip was a big Blessing in getting to see God's marvelous paintings...
so proud for you...
Hugs to ya...Hope your knee is much better..

Anni said...

Wishing you and your family a wonderful, loving, and safe holiday Betsy.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Beautiful! You two are really seeing the beauty of our country. I hope your knee is better- I have the same issue and have tried everything for pain relief. Have a blessed Sunday!

Rohrerbot said...

I love those old stone arches as well. And I've seen that woman before:) Glad you had a fun trek. Feel better and rest! Hugs my friend!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This certainly is a beautiful scenic highway, Betsy! They certainly don't make bridges like this anymore. My dad worked with the CCC in Pennsylvania during his young years during the depression. I loved seeing the waterfalls and the Cathedral cliff and all the autumn trees--all beautiful!

Annesphamily said...

Beautiful shots and your friends and phamily are so sweet! Love seeing these happy, smiling faces! Love a waterfall. Sigh......

MTWaggin said...

What an amazing place to visit. So glad you continue to share your travels with us!

diane b said...

Fabulous scenery, waterfalls and colour.

Twilight Man said...

The myriad colours of leaves in Falls are so beautiful like Van Gogh's paintings. You have captured priceless photographs to share with us. I love the stone arched bridge too. Something I have not seen anywhere else.

Thank you for sharing!