Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Rain or Shine??????? A Visit along the Highland Scenic Highway, West VA

Me standing at one of the overlooks;  I loved the Red Spruce trees which grow well in higher elevations.
Holy Cow--it's August!!!  Is it just ME --or is time flying????  Schools are already starting in Tennessee in certain places...  Mercy Me----Slow down World!!!!! ha

Today,  I'm sharing a wonderful scenic drive that George and I took on June 24, 2014 while we were there for a few days celebrating our Anniversary in the beautiful state of West Virginia.   We visited here after we had been to the waterfalls. (Click HERE for that post.)  We drove along the Allegheny Highlands in the Monongahela National Forest traveling on the highest major road way in West Virginia,  known as Highland Scenic Highway 150.  We took the 22 mile stretch of Highway 150 from the Cranberry Glades area to US 19 north of Marlinton.

The drive along this stretch of road took us to an elevation of over 4500 feet.  In fact, most all of the drive was over 4000 feet in elevation.   This road would remind you of the Blue Ridge Parkway and/or Skyline Drive in Virginia, with overlooks all along the way on both sides...  While driving north,  the Cranberry Glades and Wilderness was to the west and the Appalachians were to the east.

BUT--for us,  it was not just the drive on this beautiful road/area.  It was, on this particular day, ALSO the WEATHER... Rain was ALL around us --and we were so lucky that we didn't get wet where we were. But we got some fantastic Rain/Sunshine photos... Hope you enjoy this special scenic road trip through our pictures today!!!


Dark clouds in the sky ---but sunshine was peeking through!!


George standing next to Mrs. P  (our wonderful Prius)


Oops---Rain is NEARBY...  Still love those Red Spruces!!


Beautiful Red Spruce (see how much I loved them? ha)---but note also the BLUE sky --among all of the dark clouds around us!!!


We took a walk along a boardwalk --and I loved seeing these ferns and wildflowers.


OH MY----Rain is getting closer;  "Run to the Car,  George".... (It still missed us!)


I love this picture since it shows both RAIN and SUNSHINE....  (Photographers LOVE these kinds of days!!!!  We had so much fun..)


We made it down to the Williams River.  I read that this river is wonderful for trout fishing!!!


I caught George getting a shot of the Williams River!



I loved seeing all of the WILDFLOWERS along that scenic road.   See the BUTTERFLY????


Wooooo--This "Puff Ball" was gorgeous and HUGE.  It may be in the Dandelion family--but was MUCH larger and prettier... Beautiful!!!!  (Do you know what it is?)  UPDATE:  Thanks to Furry Gnome,  this is called Goatsbeard.  You can read his description in the comment section.



More gorgeous Wildflowers blooming all along our way


I also love this 'rain' photo--and I'm sure the Wildflowers love that water!!!  (NOTE--we did not get wet!!!  Amazing!)


More flowers;  more butterflies;  AND LOTS of rain in the distance!!


Beautiful views,  sunshine,  shadows,  and gorgeous skies-----what else could we  want???
I hope you enjoyed seeing these 'weather' photos... I hope you clicked on them for enlargements. We were truly in that area at the right time!!!!  To think that we saw so much rain on all sides of us ---yet it stayed away from us... We probably could never have a photo session like this again if we tried!!!!! What a fantastic day ---and SO SO SO many photos to share!



Here's a map showing you the entire area (Falls of Hills Creek AND the Scenic Road 150).  I got this map from the internet.

Hope you enjoyed this scenic drive. For more information about this area,  click HERE.  I'd love to be here in Autumn to see the Fall colors.  We highly recommend this area to ALL.  West Virginia is a gorgeous state.

Have a wonderful week/weekend.

Hugs,

66 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Betsy What a wonderful day you had despite the threatening rain. Love all the wild flowers and scenery.

Fun60 said...

Loved the walk. The scenery, wildflowers, river, sunshine and storm. Great pictures. Like you I want the world to slow down. I have no idea what happened to July but it's disappeared before I can take a breath.

eileeninmd said...

A wonderful series on your scenic drive, Betsy! The views are beautiful even with the clouds.. Have a happy day!

Ann said...

Time is flying by far too fast. It seems like summer just started and now we're getting near the end of it.
What a wonderful trip you had, gorgeous views and awesome that the rain cooperated with you

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, what a fun trip. i love to watch the rain come in like that - so cool!! love all the wildflowers. the ferns & all. what a great time you all had. those mtns are amazing ... love the clouds too!! ( :

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I love these amazing views. Wow. The Appalachian Mountains hold so much beauty.

Susannah said...

What a blessing!
To be able to see all the wonderful things in your photographs! Wild flowers, spruce trees, mountains, clouds, sunshine and to spend the day with your hubby! How wonderful. Thank you for taking me on your scenic drive. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Susannah

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

WOW ~ What a great trip! Fantastic photos, and amazing that you didn't get wet.

Have a wonderful weekend ~ FlowerLady

Tanna said...

gorgeous photos, Betsy!!! I love being able to see rain from a distance... from the mountains or the plains, it is a beautiful sight. I do enjoy taking little road trips with you and George. ;) blessings ~ tanna

The Furry Gnome said...

Wonderful pictures - love that last one. How you didn't get wet I don't know. I know your 'Puff Ball' as Goatsbeard, and it's heliotropic when it's in bloom - that is it opens in the sun, and always turns to face the sun. Nice yellow blossom, but the seeds are just like a huge dandelion.

linda m said...

Those are some great pictures. You are right when you said you couldn't have been able to take those photos if you had tried. What a stroke of luck as they are incredible as well as breath taking. I can only remember one other place I was in where it could rain and have sun shine at the same time.

Out on the prairie said...

Fun to watch the storms move and stay dry. False Dandelion is one name for your plant.

MTWaggin said...

What a lovely road trip and it looks like you had many great things to photograph. So glad you shared them with us!

Marcia said...

Years ago my family gathered for a vacation at Watoga State park. We returned there when our kids were small for another visit. I do remember visiting the Cranberry bogs. Did you take that walk through there? Saw Venus flycatchers in native habitat, if I remember correctly.

George said...

This was an amazing drive since we went from sunshine to clouds to rain around us and back several times. And the views were fantastic.

Connie said...

Such amazing scenes, Betsy. You really were there at just the right time to catch the rain and sun around you. Beautiful!

DeniseinVA said...

That was a lovely scenic drive you took us on Betsy. Rain and Sunshine, just beautiful!

Arkansas Patti said...

Loved that Goatsbeard. Really nice shot.
What a beautiful drive. You managed a lot of great shots despite the weather. Well done.
Yes, July has just disappeared. Time is just too quick for me these days.

Judy said...

The summer is flying by, that's for sure! That sounds like a relaxing trip with wonderful views. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

David said...

Betsy, Great photos as usual...plus more motivation for my better half and I to explore West Virginia! Great scenery...and thanks for the tip re: this drive. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Jeevan said...

Amazing nature presentation over there! A wonderful blend of weathers into the scene… Great captures with the distance rain, Betsy! Loved the flowers and fern leaves :)

Sylvia K said...

Such a lovely place, Betsy, and your photos are superb as always -- they're the next best thing to being there myself!! I love the mountains and the moody skies!! Hope your week is going well!!

LV said...

Rain or shine your trips are worth it. Loved this one.

Big Dude said...

Looks like a beautiful drive Betsy and I enjoyed your shots. While I've spent lots of time in the area, I never made this drive and had not heard of the Highland Scenic Highway but it may not have been called that back in the 70's.

A Colorful World said...

You did indeed get some fabulous photos! I love the Eastern mountains so much! I have some great Western mtn. shots too upcoming but it's going to be at least five or six weeks to post all my pictures...I've only gotten through Day1 on a 13 day trip so far! :-)

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love the photos of the beautiful mountains and awesome wildflowers. This is indeed a wonderful place to visit. Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I felt as though I was there with you and George.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The rain and dramatic clouds certainly added to the beauty of the area.Excellent post,Betsy.

Betsy said...

Oh my goodness Betsy! It's amazing that you didn't get completely soaked with all of that rain around you. Your pictures are beautiful and, like you, I enjoy the trees too. We could use some of that rain right now!
You surely have a talent for photography and I thank you for sharing it with us.
Blessings,
Betsy

Hootin Anni said...

Love the misting sky...awesome.

Now, I've not heard of red spruce before. Blue Spruce, yes. Colorado's state tree. I'm gonna have to google that tree and read a bit about them.

Small City Scenes said...

Beautiful shots. I really like the last one--not the map but the overview. Simply beautiful area you live in.
We have Goatsbeard out here only it is a different plant. Grows along the mountain highways and is creamy white branch of tiny flowers. Botanical name is Aruncus dioicus. Sure funny about common names by region.
MB

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the rocks in the river! And this giant puffball!!! We have them here and they are huge! Now I wish I had noticed what was there before it puffed. Wish I knew. You are truly a Rain or Shine person!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

It's so pretty back there. There are times when I really miss the east...

Our photos said...

Very pretty place to be !

Kay said...

Great photos as usual. When Ben and I used to go to northern California, we were the same way about "rain or shine". We didn't care what the weather was. We were always out exploring.

Shug said...

I certainly did enjoy my scenic tour. Butterflies, wildflowers, rivers, mountain scenes, photographers, rain in the distance, and much much more..... Who wouldn't enjoy a trip like this? thanks for the map....makes it easier to see where all you have been...hugs..

happyone said...

What a wonderful trip. All the pictures are beautiful.

Busy Bee Suz said...

What a great trek for the two of you. So glad the weather knew better than to ruin your day. :) LOVE LOVE all the wildflowers!!!!

Rohrerbot said...

Gorgeous landscape! Love the rain in the photos. Can we get some of that over here?:)

Small Kucing said...

I remember when i was young I ould just love to blow the "puff ball" and imagine that lottle fairies floating away with it. There was an Enid Blyton story that tells about Puff Balls and Fairy

Tabor said...

beautiful trip. I have explored a little of that area. We can be thankful for the rains...no forest fires!

Beth said...

These are particularly wonderful that they have both rain and sunshine in them! Spectacular shots. My favorite though, is of the ferns with the wildflowers peeking through. Sounds and looks like a terrific drive and day! :>)

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I love your mountain trips Betsy- I feel like I get to travel along with you! We haven't gotten to see our mountains in two years now. Maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, What a fun trip you had. Your pictures are great. So happy for you. Have a wonderful weekend!

Small City Scenes said...

Hi Betsy.
I guess from now on I will be getting my sandwich 'dressed'. LOL

A take away store is like our 'take out' or food 'to go'. It's what they say in Europe I found out. MB

Marie said...

I love the last pic! The sunshine and shadows is so beautiful!
I really like "Life Is Like a Camera" on your side bar. :)
hugs,
Marie

Peaches McGinty said...

Hi Betsy!
wow! the children are going back to school, of course they must break up earlier, mine have only just started their hols! the photo's are so beautiful and I adore the dual weather pic and the puffball pic, how huge are they? they are very, very pretty! the views really are superb and so breathtaking - have a wonderful weekend! x x x

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Yes, time IS flying by! You got some excellent pictures.

NCmountainwoman said...

Great photographs of the rain coming across the mountains. Amazing how you can drive through rain and then have sunshine and then rain again.

Catherine said...

Looks like you and your sweetie have been busy enjoying summer too Betsy! Let us hope August is a long and happy month full of wonderful exploring.
xo Catherine

Miss Debbie said...

Your lilies are so pretty...think I've said that before! ha!ha! Beautiful scenic overlooks. My hubby would love to catch a trout or two from that river! Thanks for checking on me...good to be back in blogland!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Your weather photos are beautiful! I'd love to see that part of the country. Since we are going back out west this year, we're going to head east hopefully next year! I'll be looking for you!

Anonymous said...

What magnificent scenery. Looks as if it was a great trip!

diane b said...

What a beautiful scenic drive. Your photos are fabulous.

Sharon said...

I totally agree-WVA is a lovely state. We had a similar day several years ago on that same scenic drive. We enjoyed the Cranberry Visitor Center about midway.

troutbirder said...

What a great day and fantastic vistas. Thanks for sharing Betsy....:)

Linda said...

Marvelous! I'd love to take this drive sometime. Thanks for including a map.

Bhasvant said...

I guess you and George add some brilliance to Mother Nature. Beautiful pictures. Adventurous indeed!!

Terry and Linda said...

What a lovely day!!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Stunning scenery!

Chatty Crone said...

I love all the pics as usual - my favorite was the second one - looking out in the mountains and everything looked so blue and fresh. Like the picture of George shooting his picture too.

Hootin Anni said...

Hi again Betsy. I'm here from Ruth's Photo Blog because of her birthday post just for you.

Hope your day is very special....just as you are!!

Janie said...

I love the cheery sunflower header, Betsy. Looks like a lovely drive through West Virginia. I enjoy seeing rain coming down in the mountains, but it's always a plus when it doesn't rain directly where I am!

Susie Swanson said...

Beautiful scenery and photos. Hope you had a wonderful birthday. Looking forward to your posts. Hugs, xo

Dee said...

Dear Betsy, since beginning to read your post a couple of years ago, I've visited so many scenic places with you and George. Thank you for inviting all of us along. The southeastern part of the United States is indeed beautiful. Peace.

LV said...

RAIN OR SHINE, I ALWAYS ENJOY TAKING THESE WONDERFUL TRIPS THROUGH YOUR LENS. WONDERFUL QUOTES ON YOUR SIDEBAR. SO TRUE.

Kay said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos, Betsy! Time does fly. I can't believe it's been over 5 weeks since I've been gone from blogging.