Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Friday, November 8, 2013

Yellowstone Visit 9/20/13 --Day 2 Continued

Hayden Valley in Yellowstone
If you want to see my posts so far from our Yellowstone trip in September of 2012,  click HERE.    I am posting info on that trip in the order that it happened... So---today,  I'm posting the rest of our day (Day 2) from that trip.

We left the Canyon area and headed south --since I wanted to see HAYDEN VALLEY--which I had heard so much about.  IF you go to Yellowstone and want to see LOTS of wildlife,  this is the place to go,  especially early in the morning.  We however got there late in the afternoon...

Birds and mammals alike are drawn to the lush wetlands along the Yellowstone River,  which meanders through the length of the valley as it flows northward toward the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.   Above is a photo I took of Hayden Valley ---with LOTS of BISON in the distance.  You can also see the Yellowstone River.

Click on the photos for enlargements.




Bison at Hayden Valley, Yellowstone
Here is another photo from Hayden Valley -----using my long lens.  You can see the Bison a little better in this photo, and you can see a tiny bit of the river.




BISON crossing the road near Hayden Valley, Yellowstone
We got in a traffic jam (which is common in Yellowstone) as the BISON crossed the road.  I got this great photo of a couple of them up close and personal!!!!




Mud Caldron at Yellowstone
As we headed south (leaving Hayden Valley),  we saw some geothermal sites.    The only accessible geyser basin in this area lies between Hayden Valley and the LeHardy's Rapids.  The photo above is of MUD CALDRON.  There is no excess water---so the discharge is a thick mud.




Close-up of the thick mud at Mud Caldron, Yellowstone
Here is a close-up showing that THICK mud at Mud Caldron.  Wanna take a mud bath????  Yuk!!!




Sulphur Caldron,  Yellowstone
This is Sulphur Caldron ----and if you have ever smelled sulphur,  you will know that it smells like rotten eggs.  It is not a 'pretty' smell at all!!! ha




Mud Volcano,  Yellowstone
Here  is a Mud Volcano...  See all of that mud????  Mud Volcano has acidic waters that leach clay particles from the lava rock below.  These particles are kept suspended in the waters,  resulting in the grey mud that distinguishes this spring.




Dragon's Mouth,  Yellowstone
And---here is the most popular thermal area here,  a hot spring called Dragon's Mouth.  This one gets its name from the manner in which the water surges out from the superheated source--like a flicking, liquid dragon's tongue.




LeHardy's Rapids,   Yellowstone
After leaving the thermal area,   we checked out the LeHardy's Rapids.   After seeing the calm Yellowstone River flow through Hayden Valley,  this was an interesting place to visit.




LeHardy's Rapids,  Yellowstone
Here is a photo of George standing at the overlook at LeHardy's Rapids.  It was great standing there and hearing the sound of that amazing water!




Fall Colors at Yellowstone
AND--not only could we enjoy those rapids,  but we could also enjoy some beautiful FALL COLORS on the other side of the river.  Aren't they pretty?




At the Fishing Bridge,  Yellowstone
We drove a little farther south to see the fishing bridge.   George took this photo of me on the bridge. You can see that the water is calm here...This bridge is located very close to Yellowstone Lake.




Yellowstone River,  taken from the Fishing Bridge
Here's a photo taken of the Yellowstone River from the Fishing Bridge.




Virginia Cascades,   Yellowstone
Since it was getting late,  we turned around at the Fishing Bridge and headed back to the Canyon Village for dinner... After dinner,  we checked out the Virginia Cascades.  We had tried to see it early on the 2nd morning --but there was smoke in the area.  SO--we went back.  This beautiful 60 feet waterfall is in a heavily forested area of lodgepole pines which make for great photos.  (NOTE:  We saw 19  different waterfalls in Yellowstone plus 3 more in the Tetans area while there those five days.)





George took this photo of me at the Virginia Cascades.  Out came the sweater toward the end of the day --as it was getting cool outside.




Sunset in Yellowstone,  Sept. 20, 2012
AND--on our way back to West Yellowstone (where we were staying),  we captured a beautiful sunset....

Hope you enjoyed seeing the remainder of our Day 2 photos from Yellowstone.  There will be lots more to come!!!!!   I'm having fun re-living this wonderful trip--as I go through all of my photos.   Yellowstone is one place I would go back to in a heartbeat!!!!


Hugs,

56 comments:

Ms. A said...

George did a great job on that photo of you... YOU JUST POP OFF THE PAGE... IT'S GREAT!!! And so are all the other photos!

Our photos said...

Beautiful photos, Betsy!
Greetings, RW & SK

Catherine said...

I like those Bison! We have Bison and Buffalo farms up here in Saskatchewan so we see them lots. They are so big!
Happy Weekend Betsy!
xo Catherine

Fun60 said...

When I saw that first photo as a thumbnail come up, I thought it was a Van Gogh. What a beautiful place.

The Furry Gnome said...

You're making me want to visit Yellowstone again! We only had one day there on a long ago trip out west.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Very Lovely photos Betsy and I also love your photo... Hugs Judy

linda m said...

What lovely pictures. Sure hope I can visit there some day. Thanks for sharing.

Peaches McGinty said...

Hi Betsy!
Yellowstone is amazing! I would love to go! the names 'Dragon's Mouth' and 'Sulphur Cauldron' make it sound so interesting, the thick mud at 'Mud Cauldron' looks a little scary though! great pics and of course I love the pics of you and George! x x have a wonderful weekend x x

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

These are amazing pics. I love the bison.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

I always enjoy seeing your travels...I did not know there were mud cauldrons in Yellow Stone...neat to see them

Karin said...

Felt like Memory Lane. Hubby and I had visited some of these areas, but in the summer months. It's a fascinating place for a vacation!

Karin said...

Felt like Memory Lane. Hubby and I had visited some of these areas, but in the summer months. It's a fascinating place for a vacation!

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

You really had good fall color when you were there. Love seeing Yellowstone anytime!

Serenity Cove said...

You make me want to go back!! I will want more time to explore the next time.
Thanks for sharing.

David said...

Betsy, Nice photos of Yellowstone! We made that trip ourselves a few years back and we saw lots of animals too... Everyone should make this trip at least once! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Connie said...

Betsy, I rarely get to travel, so I really enjoy seeing the photos you share from your trips. This is one place I'd like to see someday. Thanks for sharing these. Such a cool shot of the bison!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh Betsy - as you know I have not gone there. Good thing you didn't go when the government was closed. This is a park you can see - smell - hear and touch! Loved your photos. sandie

Rose said...

Betsy, I did enjoy seeing these. That up close and personal shot of the bison is wonderful. Also, I really like that last photo of you.

Ginny Hartzler said...

George's shirt matches the cliffs!! All this is so cool!! I love that first picture with all the yellows, and the up close of the bison, wow that is amazing! They look right beside you!!! There are so many different kinds of cauldrons and volcanoes!!

Linda P said...

Wonderful photos, especially the one of the bison. Your outfits even match the
colour of the scenery and that made me smile as it's evident you're having a great time on your trip.

Carletta said...

Some wonderful treats here today Betsy!
I'd love to see bison roaming free. I think that would be an awesome experience.
Dragon's Mouth is pretty neat to see as well.
I saw on someone's blog last week a sign that said 'Beware of Flying Mud'. Bubble bubble toil and trouble I'd say.
I thought the shot of George looked like he was standing on a wooden raft with a fence around it in the middle of the water. :)
Wonderful seeing more of your marvelous trip.

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, We hope to go back to Yellowstone next Summer. When we were there 2 years ago, we saw a small pack of Wolves there in Hayden Valley. Also saw Elk, which is why the Wolves were around. We were there at about sunrise, by the way and there had to be 25 other people taking pictures with their tripods set up along-side the road. Your pictures are fabulous! Have an excellent day today!

Catsngrams said...

Thank you for posting such beautiful pictures it is just like being there. You look so lovely and like you are really enjoying yourself. Keep it up it is what makes us young.

Karen Lange said...

Great photos! We love Yellowstone, but haven't been there since 2006. Would love to go back! Thanks so much for sharing these. It's a beautiful place.

Thanks also for commenting on Chatty Crone's blog yesterday. It's great to meet you! :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

I'm loving all these pictures. I really like all the designs in the Mud Caldron.No I have no need for a mud bath,but it does look interesting.

Sylvia K said...

Ah, I do love Yellowstone and your photos are terrific as always, Betsy!! We traveled there several times when the kids were growing up in Montana! We all loved it and looked forward to returning!! Hope you have a lovely weekend!!

Miss Debbie said...

Quite a place. Glad it was open so you could visit! ha!ha! Others have not been so lucky!!

Latane Barton said...

Yellowstone is so surreal. Beautiful yet mystical. I love seeing pictures of it.

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

What beautiful pictures, Betsy! I love that you take us along on all your fantastic adventures!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Betsy Yet again another wonderful post of rapids, bison and great photos of you and George. Have a great weekend.

Arkansas Patti said...

If I ever am lucky enough to get there, I will definitely check out Hayden Valley. Wildlife would be the main draw for me.
That white water looked neat. I always wanted to try rafting.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Wonderful shots, Betsy! Thanks for taking us along on your travels!

Joy said...

Wonderful views in saturday evening:)

Joy said...

Wonderful views in saturday evening:)

Terry and Linda said...

I enjoyed my our trip there last year. The place is huge, you could stay a week and not see everything.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

eileeninmd said...

Great shots and Yellowstone scenes! I just love this park, I wish I could go again! Wonderful post, Betsy!

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed your Yellowstone pics and commentary Betsy.

These are priceless memories :)

Lady Di Tn said...

Thanks for taking me along. Peace

happyone said...

Great pictures as usual!!
I've been there too. It's a place that every one should visit if they possibly can!!

diane b said...

There is so much to see in Yellowstone. I never saw any of these places when we were there so it is refreshing to see your great photos.

Rose ~ from Oz said...

Oh Betsy! Yellowstone, somewhere I've dreamed about all of my Aussie life! What exquisite images.
I'm still catching up and enjoying all of your recent posts.
Lots of hugs
Rose
(PS< I too hope my internet probs are solved VERY soon!)

Andrea said...

Thanks for that tour Betsy, i am a bit scared at the boiling mud. Being at the foot of a volcano where our university was located, we normally go to what we call Mudspring to see the boiling mud. I guess it is like those you saw in Yellowstone. But what i am envious of are the waterfalls, OMG, 19 of them, that's a lot in an area!

I love your camera holster. Re ur mention of our typhoon, fortunately I and my family in the province are not in the typhoon path. But i have close friends from the city which is severely devastated. We can't have any info about them because communication and electricity are totally destroyed, and might return after a long time. Lives were lost too.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

yellowstone will always b one of my fav parks. just so many different areas to c. buffaloes. different smells too. ( ;
ha. ha!!!

Anonymous said...

Good Sat. Morning, Betsy. Such pretty photos of Yellowstone. Our beloved veterinarian and his wife will be going in December to Yellowstone. Hope you and George have a nice weekend.

Small City Scenes said...

Beautiful shots, Betsy. Some beautiful and weird goings on in Yellowstone. I am glad you saw so many waterfalls. gorgeous. We live in a great and diverse country. MB

Betty Manousos said...

omg betsy, how amazing! i've never seen a bison in person. what a treat today.
what a fantastic park yellowstone is!
there is so much to see in there.
gorgeous series of photos.
i also love your photo.
as always, you look gorgeous!

have a lovely weekend!

big hugs


Donna said...

These are beautiful! It broke my heart that we couldn't go on our long-awaited trip out there this fall. Perhaps next year.

Shug said...

Wow....a gorgeous part of our Country. Can you imagine the settlers as they first came across some of these places? Breathtaking views!! Some of those areas look a little dangerous!! So glad that you and George made this trip...because of you love of photography..we are getting to enjoy it as well..
Sweet hugs..
shug

Big Dude said...

Great header shot. We saw lots of bison in the same area this year.

Louisette said...

wonderfull article and fotos over Yellowstone

amanda said...

I have never been to Yellowstone!
We've seen bison in the Badlands / Black Hills of South Dakota, those were great places to visit too. But Yellowstone & Glacier are on my go-to list.
These are all fantastic shots, and a great tour!

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

I'm really enjoying your Yellowstone posts. What a neat place. You got a great picture of Dragon's Mouth. The steam can make that a bit tricky sometimes. The photo of you at Virginia Cascades is very nice, too.

DeniseinVA said...

Fabulous post Betsy and I enjoyed your photos so much!!! I love Yellowstone and can't wait to get back.

Small Kucing said...

Lovely photos.

So close to the Bison. Do they attack cars? Hope not.

Twilight Man said...

All the photos were so amazing until I was gasping for air in delight. They are so beautiful and unique for an Asian like me to view them!! I love that Bisons and Thick Mud... I would have scooped them home and mask my whole body to make a lovely skin.

Linda G. said...

I hope some day that Bob and I will find an opportune time to travel west. It is such a beautiful part of the U.S.