Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Romantic Sunset Cruise on the Schooner Alliance, Yorktown, VA 9/22/13

When George and I took our 10 day trip to Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland from September 20-29, 2013, we had many many highlights. However, if I had to choose an overall favorite event, it would be this one, the cruise on the Schooner Alliance on the York River at Yorktown, Virginia, on September 22.  

George has always loved tall ships ---but neither of us had ever sailed on one before. We picked a PERFECT evening since there was quite a bit of wind and the weather was perfect. Being out there on the water sailing ---with no engine noise-- was AWESOME. It was so peaceful!!!!!

WELL--as you can imagine, we both took a bunch of photos. I'll share some with you today --beginning with photos we took on the day BEFORE  (Sept. 21). We drove to Yorktown to see where we would go the next evening.. While there, we watched the ship as it left the dock.... SO--the first 6 photos were taken the day BEFORE we cruised. (We are glad we didn't take the cruise that evening since rain was very close!)

The photo above shows the sign at the dock where people board the ship. Be sure to click on all photos for enlargements.


This is a photo of the Schooner Alliance  waiting to board folks.  The smaller ship there is named Serenity.  It left shore with a small group before the Alliance left.




This is our ship (with a group on Saturday night), as it left shore.




After getting away from shore,  the crew began to hoist the sails.. I enjoyed watching the crew as they worked HARD while we just enjoyed ourselves!




Now there are 3 sails up... There are two more smaller sails on the bow of the boat.




We took this photo of the Alliance from the Yorktown Victory Monument (which I will show you in an upcoming photo taken from the ship that next evening). 




NOW---it is OUR night to enjoy the cruise!!!!!!   The sky was just awesome.  Don't you just love seeing the sunbeams?




One of the crew members took our picture together on the ship.  I was cool --so had my jacket on.  George never gets cold like I do!!!! ha.   (There were probably about 20-30 people total on the ship.)




Here's one more photo taken from the water --looking at the gorgeous sky and the sunbeams.




Since this was a Romantic  Sunset Cruise,  the sun and its colors really showed off JUST for us!!!! The bridge you see is Highway 17 which goes from Yorktown toward Fredericksburg. 




I loved seeing the sun's colors reflecting on the water!!!!  Can you just imagine being on a boat sailing along and looking at this sky????  It was magical!




Here's another photo showing the sun and sky---and the reflections.   I took so many photos and had a hard time choosing what to include here.  SO--I'll just show you several and you can pick your fav's.




This is the Yorktown Victory Monument.   This gorgeous and HUGE monument commemorates the victory,  the alliance with France that brought it about and the resulting peace with England,  which brought about independence for the United States of America in 1783.   (NOTE: The monument is where we took the photo above of the Alliance the day before we sailed.)




What can I say????  I just kept on snapping photos of the gorgeous sky.



Okay---this is enough!!!!!!! ha..... Hope you enjoyed seeing these photos taken from the Schooner Alliance.   I would go on that ship again in a heartbeat!!!!!   It was awesome.  If you ever get to Yorktown,  take a cruise... AND--we recommend the sunset one!!!!



After that 2 hour cruise,  George and I went to a great seafood restaurant in Yorktown on the water for a late dinner... The Riverwalk Restaurant is a great restaurant --and we also recommend it.

Take a minute and go over to my Photo Blog (click HERE) to see one more amazing photo from our cruise.  It is one of my favorites!

Hugs,

43 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the sunset on the water, and the first picture of the boat!!! They are my favorites today. And I think your header may be your picture on your other blog? It is even much more pretty as a huge header!!

Small Kucing said...

what a lovely sunset


It's very lucky that you guys did not take the cruise one day early. The rain would have make it less enjoyable.

I see both you and George have very good sea legs

Ms. A said...

Beautiful photos. Sounds like you two enjoyed your romantic sunset cruise and the sky really showed off for you, too!

Jim and Sandie said...

Just reading about your cruise was wonderful and seeing those gorgeous pictures. I can just imagine what it must have been like to actually be on the ship. Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous shots. And what a lovely adventure.

eileeninmd said...

Cool post Betsy, The Schooner Sail sounds and looks like fun! Awesome photos.

Ann said...

That had to have been so much fun. I've been wanting to go see the Flagship Niagara when it's docked in Erie but I"ve never gotten around to it.
Sounds like you and George had the perfect cruise

From the Kitchen said...

Ahoy there! I've never done that cruise. I'm so glad you loved that area. It's one of my favorites.

Best,
Bonnie

Linda G. said...

How wonderful that you and George were able to sail on one of the tall ships! Beautiful pictures.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome opportunity and the weather was perfect for you two.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

These shots are fantastic. I've always wanted to sail on one of those schooners. What fun!

camp and cottage living said...

Betsy
You have the most amazing adventures!
It sure was a gorgeous evening for your cruise-the photos are great.

Our photos said...

Beautiful are the photos!
Greetings, RW & SK

linda m said...

Those are some gorgeous pictures. Looks like a lot of fun.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm so glad you were able to fit this into your trip; how fun. Love those romantic skies as well...did you order those ahead of time??
XOXO

MadSnapper said...

i have not sailed on one, but i did tour one in the Savannah riverfront. they are amazing to me and i would not have wanted to cross the Atlantic on one way back when. they are romantic for tours though. beautiful views

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Very pretty sunset- and what a wonderful memory you and George made that day!

Shug said...

glad that it was a perfect evening for y'all. Looks like this would be a whole lot of fun and I can only imagine the beautiful scenes that can be seen out on the water. We have a good friend that owns a huge sailboat and I am always amazed at the pictures he post when he and his wife travel. What also amazes me is the distance that they travel. I'm sure this could be a very romantic adventure...
have a good day!!
shug

Big Dude said...

What a great way to spend an evening with your hubby. There's just something about sliding through the water with only the sounds of lapping water and wind in the sails.

Peaches McGinty said...

hi Betsy!
great photo's, such a great trip - I love the pic of the sunbeams coming through the clouds and the pic of you and George on that amazing ship! xx

Connie said...

Magnificent sunset and water shots, Betsy! I love all those colors. The one in your header is my favorite. Sounds like this was a wonderful trip for you and George.

Sylvia K said...

What a wonderful cruise and a beautiful boat!! Incredible skies and sunsets!! I've taken cruises before, nut never on a boat like this although I've always wanted to!! Your pics are the next best thing!! Thanks for sharing the fun and the beauty, Betsy!!

Glenda said...

I am enjoying YOUR vacation very much! Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures with us, and it looks like that cruise would be a most wonderful way to spend an evening!

Linda P said...

I like the series of photos hoisting the sails and then those on the evening of your trip are fabulous. You had perfect
weather then and amazing skies reflecting on the water as you glided along. No wonder you would like to repeat the experience!

Small City Scenes said...

Magical is the perfect word for you perfect sailing day. The weather was great the camera worked perfect----maybe it is two words---
Perfectly Magical!!
MB

DeniseinVA said...

These photos are all amazing Betsy! I would love to go on that cruise and thanks for the name of the restaurant. We are always on the look-out for a good seafood one, and we head that way often on our way to see family.

I am still in Germany but wedding celebrations are now winding down and I was able to get on line for a little while. We will be doing some sight-seeing tomorrow and in a few days we will be on our way home.

Chat with Kathleen said...

I SO ♥ READING YOUR BLOG AND SEEING ALL YOUR SPECTACULAR PHOTOS.
I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE YOU AS MY TRAVELLING TOUR GUIDE. YOU AND GEORGE HAVE EYES FOR CAPTURING THE BEST IMAGES.
I so love the sunsets glistening upon the water. So serene, so tranquil and relaxing. It always puts me in a peaceful attitude.

Ruth Hiebert said...

What an amazing set of pictures! You were treated to the best of the best in sunset.

LV said...

I have been on many cruises, but never on a ship like this. I enjoyed them, but do not want to go anymore due to so many problems.

LV said...

I have been on many cruises, but never on a ship like this. I enjoyed them, but do not want to go anymore due to so many problems.

Out on the prairie said...

What a great trip, I would really enjoy this

Elizabeth said...

I REALLY felt like I was with you on the ship, with the wind whipping in the sails and kicking up the waves, and the setting sun with the clouds working to get an Oscar for their performance! I'm a huge fan of the movie Pirates of the Caribbean and this would have been just like sailing with Captain Jack Sparrow LOL!! You and your Captain George look so happy :-)

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Love the photos...the sunbeams, the beautiful sunset, the tall ship, and the two of you. Looks like so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, Looks fun! I love sailing though I have only had one small Sabot (8' boat). That was many years ago. I've been on larger sailboats but not as crew. My ancestors were merchant/ fishing sail captains so I appreciate the tall ships. Have a wonderful day tomorrow!

Miss Debbie said...

What a great adventure! I can see why it was your favorite!

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Romantic and beautiful. We have just had the tall ships in Sydney from all over the world. Unlike you and George, Ray and I watched them on T.V. I am sure you both had a very special experience, and one to remember fondly as you look back on these photos in days to come... Love from me. xx

Catherine said...

What a fun way to spend a few hours Betsy! And then ending it with a lovely dinner with your sweetie - now that sounds like a perfect day to me!!
Fantastic!
xo Catherine

Christmas-etc... said...

How could you not snap all those photos! Gorgeous!!
As always, so lovely to visit with you and your husband on your adventures!
Blessings,
Ann

Susie Swanson said...

These are just gorgeous. I love sunsets and what a beautiful place to be. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pics with us. Hugs, Susie

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Awesome! I can just feel the peacefulness of the cruise. The photos are beautiful!

Chatty Crone said...

Beautiful photos Betsy. It sounds like you two enjoyed your the sunset cruise (romantic). I love the sun beans too.

Donna said...

Those old schooners are quite fun. I've never been on that one, but been on several and used to go out for weekend sails on the Chesapeake when I lived in DC. I recognized the victory statue because I took a closeup photo of it a couple of years ago! Lovely sky shots. Sunlight beams are always so magical!

Jo said...

Wow Betsy, what a romantic trip to view the sunset over the river while sailing in a tall ship. Thanks for sharing. My favorite is the one of the ship with three sails up and of course also the one of you and George. Thanks for your kind comments on my post today about the kitty procedures and the death of guard dog, Honey. (((Hugs))) Jo