Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Friday, February 1, 2013

CONKLES HOLLOW, Hocking Hills State Park, Ohio

Goodness Gracious... What happened to January????  Time is flying when you are having fun I guess....Are you having fun????  I always have fun ---well,  most of the time... I still want to see some SNOW...ha ha

Today, I'm continuing to share more from our trip to Hocking Hills State Park near Logan, Ohio from October 15-17, 2012...  We met our good friends,  NEAL and Patti Treadway from Indiana there --and the four of us had a marvelous time together.

If you missed some of my other posts from that little trip,  you can click HERE to see 4 other posts.   Today,  I am sharing our time at CONKLES HOLLOW, in the state park.  When GEORGE and I first visited Hocking Hills in Early September of 2011,  Conkles Hollow was my favorite place... The greenery and lushness of that area was absolutely fabulous. I felt as if I was in Heaven!

This year, however,  I was a little disappointed since we were there in mid October --and much of the lushness had disappeared ---since it was later in Autumn.   BUT--it was still pretty,  just not as pretty as it was in early September.  To compare the photos from the two trips,  you need to click HERE to see the 2011 photos...

Today,  I'll share our 2012 pictures with you... Even though it wasn't quite as pretty,  Conkles Hollow is a beautiful place and I still recommend it --if you get to Hocking Hills sometime.

The picture above shows you some of the ferns and beauty around the area.  Be sure to click on all of the photos for enlargements.




George captured the photographer at work.... Note that I'm wearing my camera vest and carrying my water jug.... This girl is always prepared....  HA




This area really is a 'hollow'---with high cliffs all around...  One thing different from the 2011 trip was getting to see the Fall colors around....  AND Fall in Ohio was marvelous when we were there.




The path through the area was really nice...  You can also tell that it's fall because of all of the leaves on the ground!!!!




George is tall (about 6'4") ---so he almost had to bend over to get around the corner!!




Here is a collage showing your some pictures of that beautiful area...




Here is a picture George took of me on the trail...




Here's another collage showing the caves in that area.  There are two waterfalls there (Reckworth Falls and Lower Falls--which is inside a cave) ---but there was no water  (except for a tiny bit inside the cave) here again on this trip.

The picture on the bottom left was taken from INSIDE the cave looking out.  AND--the two on the right side were inside the cave --where George and I looked hard to find that tiny waterfall.  We could hear it trickling --but it was hard to see it!!!




Finally,  I'll close with a neat picture of the pretty ferns in that hollow.  The ferns are what I remembered most from that first trip there in 2011.  SO gorgeous...




After leaving Conkles Hollow,  we stopped and took pictures of this gorgeous little church as we passed by.  Isn't it pretty?????  

WELL---that was our first busy day together...  I finished the day with 16,351 steps on my pedometer --which is about 5 miles...  The four of us celebrated by eating some delicious BBQ at Millstone Barbecue in Logan...

More to come... It was a GREAT day --and just being with Neal and Patti made it even nicer!!!!  Have a wonderful weekend and I'll see you on Monday.

+++++++++++++++
UPDATE:  7 a.m  We finally got some SNOW here (about 1-2 inches)... BUT--it's 10 degrees outside.... I'll share photos later... 

Hugs,

56 comments:

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i love what you have done with the blog, Betsy. awesome for <3 days. i will have to look into this area. looks interesting. your husband is the same height as my Dad. & both so thin too. are they twins? ha. ha! big hugs & enjoy the weekend. ( :

From the Kitchen said...

Beautiful--and I remember that little white church from when you posted before.

Best,
Bonnie

Jeevan said...

The church looks very beautiful and the entire set of photos, including the collage are fascinating with nature at best. The trail paths are more attracted me.

Have a fabulous weekend Betsy! :)

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Betsy, What lovely photos of this area. Thanks for sharing them. Guess what your are the WINNER Of My Grow Your Blog Party. Please stop by. Thanks Hugs Judy

Linda G. said...

Oh, I like the idea of a pedometer. Those steps can really add up!

I enjoy seeing a place that I visit various times during the year.

Jo said...

Wow, Betsy, the photo of your garden Rose in your header is BRILLIANT! I love the ferns in the forests and always enjoy going on your hikes with you! Yes, January did fly past. I too, wonder where it went. We only have 28 days and we go out on leave to South Africa again. Have a great weekend, my dear friend. (((Hugs))) Jo

MadSnapper said...

looks like valentine day is here already... so festive. and i love those path shots, all of them.. i tried to say
CONKLES HOLLOW, Hocking Hills State Park, Ohio three times fast... LOL

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

BBQ sounds like the perfect end to a 5 mile hike!

MTWaggin said...

I really love that photo of the church and cemetery with the fall colors. Lovely!!!!

Serenity Cove said...

That is a lovely area. I remember all the ferns.
It was very dry when we were there so I would love to go back after we have had a good rain.

Enjoy your snow!!!

Marie said...

Your blog is so happy and festive! Great pictures, Betty! You two always look so happy and really enjoying yourselves. :) Lovely church. Thanks for sharing!
Marie

Out on the prairie said...

what lovely photos and a nice February theme with your page

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

Love the rocks and bluffs. We have a park not too far from us like that. If you are ever in Illinois, check out Starved Rock State Park.

Ruth Hiebert said...

These pictures are still very pretty. All those rocks covered with moss are gorgeous. Kai and I had a good laugh at the animated cat and dogs on your sidebar. I love the new look of the blog.Chicken Noodle soup will be ready shortly,come on down.:)

Anonymous said...

I'm still lush and green with envy,everytime I see your awesome photo's of your adventures I get green with jealousy,I want to be with yall!!..Take me! Take me.
Enjoy your wonderful trips,and thanks so much for sharing.
~Jo @ LoblollyLane

joy said...

My oh my. Both of you are surely having fun and your stamina is on top. Nice place and people.
Have a nice weekend:)

Small City Scenes said...

RED!!! Everything is RED. Very neat change.
That green roofed church is very sweet. Looks like a lot of the early churches in the Valley here. Mostly Methodist or Lutheran.
You guys look so good. MB

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the little church, and you are too cute peeking through your camera. BUT this time your header overpowers everything!! It is utterly amazing, beautiful, artistic, DREAMY!!!!

TexWisGirl said...

nice ferns and fencing on the trails. :)

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Your blog color does look romantic...I really do enjoy seeing all these photos of the travels yall take...I enjoy going along with yall! Thanks for taking me along!

DeniseinVA said...

I love the name Conkles Hollow!!! I hope I get there one day, your post is a fantastic travelogue of the place. Thanks Betsy and have a great weekend :)

Carletta said...

Conkles Hollow sounds like a good title for a novel. :)
I really must get over there one day.
Those ferns are so green and lush!

We got snow last night too. Most of the different counties around and including ours called off school today. At 9:00 it was 12 so I suspect it was much colder at dawn.
Have a great weekend!

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

Another great set of images from Hocking Hills, Betsy. We got a little snow here, but it didn't stick around. This morning we had 5 degrees, with a minus 12-degree wind chill factor.

I was wondering...if you walked 16,351 steps that day, how many did Patti walk? :)

Kay said...

I am so jealous of all of these beautiful places you find to hike and take photos.

Unknown said...

Hi Betsy,

That seems to be a very nice place, I love the pictures.
Enjoy your weekend!

Hugs,
Eva

Janie said...

What beautiful lush scenery, Betsy! I love the moss on the rocks and the surrounding canyon walls.

Chatty Crone said...

Girl you are all ready for Valentines Day - it is wonderful. And your pictures are wonderful as usual. I love the church. You guys had a great trip...

Arkansas Patti said...

I can see that your weight loss is well deserved. You two do hit the trails a lot. I like how they seem so well cared for and relatively easy to hike.
That camera vest is such a cool idea.
Can't wait to see what that romantic fellow you travel with has up his sleeve for Valentines day.
Enjoy your snow.

eileeninmd said...

Love your new blog look and the header. Your Ohio photos are wonderful. What a great park to visit. Hope you have a happy weekend!

Terry and Linda said...

Thank you for your lovely visit. There is just so much to see and do in your neck of the woods, that I am sure I will never get to see in my lifetime. Thank you much for sharing it with us!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Ann said...

That is such a beautiful area. I would love to visit there. I looked it up to see how far it is from me and it's a little over 4 hours away.
You must be in heaven with that snow :)

Nancy said...

I just love watching you and George on the trails and seeing all those beautiful photos you return with to share with us....

Your blog is so much fun to browse...so pretty and colorful....

happyone said...

Looks like a great place for hiking and you got some fabulous photos.
Thanks for taking a look at ken's blog and leaving a comment. : )

Rose said...

I went back and looked at the 2011 shots...I still love them, but I sure love these. I think there is a positive side to both.

SquirrelQueen said...

Oh wow, it looks like your getting your blog ready for Valentines Day. I love your header rose.

This looks like a really nice park. Seeing all that lush green is a treat for my eyes considering everything here looks brown. Could you send some of the snow over to our coast, we haven't had much winter.

Catherine said...

Where did January go indeed! Looks like you are ready for the month of love my friend! :b
xo Catherine

Hootin Anni said...

If you say it's prettier in Spring/Summer because it's more lush, I can't fathom that concept....in Autumn, it's gorgeous as your photos depict. Wow. Heaven indeed.

PS...love your Valentine atmosphere here at your blog. Fun and festive.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

can't imagine how much weight you lost. How did you do it?

Rohrerbot said...

Finally!!! I can sit down and read! What a wonderful thing:) Going to have breakfast this morning, take a little road trip this afternoon and just.....relax! I love all your pics especially the one with all the gear. You remind me of myself and Kathie when we're on the trails. It's quite the production but also very necessary. This year I added a new gear piece....the Camelbak which will allow me to bird during the intense summer heat. Hope you both have a nice weekend and get to do some more hiking. All my best. Chris

Dee said...

Dear Betsy, thanks for the tour of the Hollow. Years and years ago--right after I left the convent in 1966--I lived in Ohio for a while. During that time,I spent a weekend in Kentucky at the Shaker village there and then several years later an Ohio friend and I drove down through Kentucky to Gatlinburg where we camped in the Smokies and then drove, I think, through part of Tennessee to get to South Carolina.

In Tennessee--if I'm remembering correctly--my friend visited a site that reenacted life among the Cherokee. That part of the country is so lovely. Thank you for reminding me of those days. Peace.

Unknown said...

Really beautiful Betsy, love how green it all is.

Diane AZ said...

Hi Betsy, What a beautiful time of year to visit Conkles Hollow. The green moss on the rocks and ferns contrast so nicely with the dried leaves on the ground. I like the little church with green roof. Great pictures and collages!

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing red and I thought it was still snowing in your neck of the woods. I adore your new sweetheart look, Betsy.
You two look like you had a great time in Ohio.

nanny said...

More great shots... I remember that little church shot, so pretty.
I know you are hoping for snow on your Arkansas trip coming up, forgive me if I don't share your wish, ha!
I was looking at my old pictures and found some beautiful snow ones taken on Feb. 8...... So it is very possible!

Shelley said...

Greg and I love visiting parks as much as you and George do. Loved these photos! Love the collages you put together too.

Hugs,
Shelley

imac said...

Smashing show Betsy, also love your Header.

Connie said...

Beautiful photos of a beautiful place, Betsy. I love the shot of the little church. Hope you're staying warm and enjoying seeing some snow. :)

Donna said...

What a lovely hike! Love the photos of the rocks and ferns.

Linda said...

Hi Betsy,

What a great post! I love your photos, and that last one of the church of breathtaking. You look great, and so does George. Thank you so much for sharing.

Dar said...

I want your life, peaceful, quiet, just moseying along a trail and taking tons of pics...I sure thought our retirement would be more play and less work...but, I'm still having fun...:) I remember how you love the ferns every time mine start to shoot high above me...and can't beat that church. Sweet trip once again.
Blessings

Grandma Bonnie said...

First I love your new header!!!! Your photos are amazing and beautiful as usual. I have not visited Hocking Hills myself yet. But, my son and his wife spent their honeymoon in Hocking Hills. (They are nature lovers as you and George are also.)

Anonymous said...

LOVE that little church you found and the rocky paths are so pleasing to the eye... I'm your newest follower and rss subscriber...

Shug said...

loving your header....gosh, that is a beautiful rose!! Send some of that cold weather down here to Texas!! We sure need to get rid of a few bugs...
stay warm.
Shug

diane b said...

That looked like a great day especially when sharing it with blogger friends.

Pat Tillett said...

What a great group of photos Betsy! It sure is nice to get out, camera in hand, and just look at things...

Mary said...

Wonderful! Love the little church!