Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Kumbrabow State Forest, West VA

This was George's and my third trip to West Virginia (March 7-10).  Each time we go,  we find some absolutely fabulous places to visit.  A big thanks goes to our "Waterfalls of Virginia and West Virginia" waterfall book by Kevin Adams...  Books like this (we have a bunch from many states) are so helpful when searching for waterfalls..

The Kumbrabow State Forest offers nearly 10,000 acres of managed forest for hunters, anglers and hikers.  As you know,  we love to drive WAY back into the woods --and this area was no exception!   After climbing down and back up all of the stairs to see Hill Creek Falls (click HERE to see that blog post),  driving back into these woods was a nice change.

In order to get here,  drive on US-219.  About halfway between Marlinton and Elkins,  turn west on CR-16 and drive 3.5 miles to a 3-way intersection.  Turn right (actually more straight than right) and drive 1.4 miles on this gravel road to a parking area on the right,  just before crossing Mill Creek.

As opposed to the Falls of Hills Creek (3 waterfalls),   there was only one waterfall here,  MILL CREEK FALLS.   BUT----oh what a pretty falls,  in a fabulous setting.  In order to get some good pictures of the falls,  we hiked on a woodsy trail through the Rhododendrons.  Like I said,  the setting is what made this area so beautiful.

Hope you enjoy our pictures from Mill Creek Falls...  Above is a picture of me as we hiked through the Rhodendrons.   Below are more.  Be sure and click on all of the pictures to see them larger!




Here is a picture of a tiny creek along our path to see Mill Creek Falls.   This area is so gorgeous ---as we walked through the Rhododendrons.




Although this area is mostly flat,  we did have to climb a bit to reach a little bridge on our path.  George is always so helpful when having to help the old woman get up the hill!!!!! ha




George took this picture of me --as we were taking pictures of beautiful Mill Creek Falls, in the distance.




And here is that beauty,  MILL CREEK FALLS.   This cascade has a total drop of about 12 feet.    As I have said,  we sometimes love seeing the smaller waterfalls deep in the woods better than the bigger,  more popular ones..




After we got back in the car,  we crossed Mill Creek ---and of course,  HAD to stop and take a picture of the creek.  Isn't it just beautiful???  Can you see the cabin in the distance?????  Wouldn't that be a neat place to spend a vacation?????




Finally,  here is one of  the little rustic cabins they have for rent.   Near the falls,  there are 5-6 rustic rental cabins.  Isn't this one just adorable????  I could spend some time relaxing here.  How about you???

There is also a campground and picnic area farther upstream from the cabins.   If you love to hike and camp and are ever in West Virginia,  check out these cabins....  The cabins are VERY RUSTIC ---and if you want more information about availability and what they offer,  click HERE.

Have a wonderful day---and remember to get out and do some HIKING.  It's good for ALL of us!!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

50 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the little cabin beside the water. Such a beautiful area. Hope you have a great day, Betsy.

Ms. A said...

Betsy, that is a gorgeous photo of you at the falls! What a perfect background.

diane b said...

Beautiful scenery in the woods. I would love to go hiking there. The waterfall and the young woman in front are terrific.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What a serene and peaceful place, just like a fairytale setting deep in those woods.
The waterfalls are so special, pristine, I bet you could drink that water.
What a lovely trip you've shared with us ~
~Jo

Neal said...

Beautiful!!! That cabin really looks inviting. If I had me some books and plenty of food I could stay there for a while. :)

mamahasspoken said...

The one photo of you by the waterfall looks photo shop to me. I know it's not, but the crispness of it all and the depth of it gives it that appearance. Great photo George!

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy,
You get to see such beautiful places. I love that cabin just by the waterfall. Thank you so much for sharing this beauty.
Have a great day!

Hugs
Eva

From the Kitchen said...

The bushes looks so healthy--they'll be bursting out in color soon. West Virginia is a beautiful state. For the past few years, I only see it in fall as I drive through to
Virginia. The way up to that little bridge looks pretty scary to me. Good to have a strong hand to assist.

Best,
Bonnie

Ruth Hiebert said...

Yes,sign me up for a weekend at that cabin. It is gorgeous and so is the waterfall.

Big Dude said...

Looks like a beautiful place and I especially like the shot of you in front of the falls. As much time as I've spent in that area of WV, I'd never heard of this place so I'm glad you wrote about it.

PCovi said...

Love it! Looks wonderful!
It would be fun when those Rhododendrons are in bloom too.

Beth said...

Betsy, you and George are so good at finding these magical places tucked away in the woods (which are always my favorite places since they tend to be quieter so you can actually hear the sounds of nature.) Although I was born in West Virginia, I've never had a chance to explore it. But I plan to for sure someday. This is such a pretty little spot, and it must be even more gorgeous in May and June when the rhododendrons bloom. Thanks for telling us about it!

MadSnapper said...

a beautiful place to wander and yes i would love to stay in that cabin.

Arkansas Patti said...

Yes that cabin is perfect. What a lovely waterfalls. Perhaps Kevin is long lost kin to George. Maybe the love of waterfalls is genetic.

TexWisGirl said...

really pretty! would love to hear that stream/falls.

Christine said...

I'm with you Betsy; sometimes those smaller falls are so much more enjoyable. You can enjoy them without all the crowds of people.

Sylvia K said...

Such an awesomely beautiful place, Betsy!! And your captures of the falls are fantastic -- the next best thing to being there myself! I love the cabins and how fun it would be to stay there. Hope your week is going well! Enjoy!

Sylvia

happyone said...

You and George sure get around to some beautiful parks. Always enjoy all your photos.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

That little cabin sure has a lot of charm!

Nancy said...

Such beautiful pictures you have given us today...I especially like the one of you in front of the falls....

Kay said...

Beautiful shots as usual. I wish my Ben was still with me so we could be doing some traveling. He had planned to retire when I received my first SS Check which will be this month and then we were going to start doing little trips, but God had a different idea.

Small City Scenes said...

What a super nice area to visit. I am glad you went so we can enjoy your pictures and the happy smile on your face. MB

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

You two find the neatest places! This IS a lovely waterfall, and it looks like a fun adventure getting to it.

We're planning a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway next month, culminating in a week's stay at a cabin in Wears Valley. I need to get busy planning stops along the Parkway. :)

mudderbear said...

Thank you for your kind words at my blogspot. I'm so happy I haven't lost track of you. Your photos, as usual, are just awesome. They are my communicatin with Nature.

Glenda said...

I think you two should do your own waterfall book! You have gorgeous photos to use. This is a beautiful place. It's always great to see untouched woods . . . so many are disappearing.

Have a great week enjoying your own beautiful yard!

Carletta said...

I have to say I've never seen this one Betsy. Will definitely have to put this one on my list the next time I get near Elkins.
Sure wish that cabin was mine!

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Thank you for taking me along on your hike again. I love waterfalls!

Photo Cache said...

you and george are making the most of retirement. how fabulous are your trips and hikes.

Lady Di Tn said...

I think blogger ate my comments. In a nutshell you did good girl friend. Peace

Anonymous said...

What a peaceful-looking place. I wouldn't mind staying in one of those cottages for a night or two.

Donna said...

What a pretty little place! Those rhododendrons are huge! And George took some good pics of you too!

eileeninmd said...

Hi Betsy, what a great trip! The scenery is beautiful and I love the waterfalls and cascades. The cabin is really cute. I enjoyed all your photos, George took beautiful shots of you. Have a great evening.

LV said...

You two have to be the healthiest two around with all that hiking. I try to walk every day, but have not got into a daily thing yet. I am working on it.

Connie said...

What a lovely area, Betsy! I wish I could be there hiking with you. Beautiful photos of the waterfalls and creeks and cabins. I'm glad you had such a good time. :)

Rohrerbot said...

This is something out of a movie. Amazing woods in the area and LOVE the waterfalls. There is the last shot of you that I think captures the mood of the forest best...magical. It looks like the sun is setting and it's getting dark....I don't know why, but that is always my favorite time while hiking in familiar woods. And one would think that there should be a song written and dedicated to Rhododendrons.

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, I like that picture of you and the falls best. By the way, I saw 3 deer and a woodchuck or groundhog at FFG last night at about dinnertime near Stonehenge golf & restaurant. Interesting to see all that wildlife. Have a super good day tomorrow!

Sally Wessely said...

You two do get around! I loved this area because of it rustic, backwoods, off the beaten path look. Like you, I love a small waterfall in the backwoods.

Lynn said...

That waterfall was definitely worth the hike. Beautiful. Somehow I really doubt you need much help getting up the hill, but we all know George is such a gentleman and adores Betsy. The cabin looks lovely too. Blessings.

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

I would very much like to stay in that little cabin! What a beautiful country.

carolina nana said...

Beautiful area, I thought you and George would have one of those little cabins picked out for yourself!
I need to start hiking on the weekends.
No rain or storms today thankfully.
Blessings
marilyn

SquirrelQueen said...

I love that little cabin beside the creek. Can you imagine what a wonderful nights sleep you could get there? You and George find some of the best places on your hikes.

I was looking at your last post Betsy and I am amazed at all the flowers you have already. Things here are just barely beginning to bloom and, if you can believe it, we are under a Winter Weather Advisory tonight. It was snowing this morning and more to come. Fortunately it's not sticking.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful hike!

Chatty Crone said...

Gosh that looked so scary - you guys must be in GREAT shape! sandie

Rose said...

I love the pictures of you, and I would dearly love to spend time in one of those cabins!

A Colorful World said...

You found an incredible place, Betsy! The two of you look like you are having such a great time! I would love to go there and have a week-long stay sometime in all that peacefulness! Love the rhododendrons! You ought to go back when they are blooming!

Yes, it is pretty here, especially this time of year....but in such a DIFFERENT way! When you love the Appalachians as I do, it takes a little adjustment...but you CAN learn to love this place a lot, and I have!

Janie said...

I love the rustic cabin. You and George will have to spend a weekend there someday.
The waterfall is beautiful, too, and nicer for being away from the crowds.

momto8 said...

looks just beautiful! lucky you!

Karin said...

What a treasure of a place! I live vicariously through you - hiking and waterfalling in all those fabulous places. Your photos look wonderful! So glad for you that you can do this together! God bless!

Thanks so much for the photos of the sparrow for my blog.

Mary said...

What a beautiful place! You need to go back when those rhododendrons are blooming.

Angela said...

I love that picture of you by the waterfall Betsy! You should have that one framed! We haven't seen that one yet. Love that little cabin. That would be neat to stay right on the water like that.

Hugs,
Angela