Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Different Visit to Biltmore House and Gardens

Unless you are new to my blog,  you will know that George and I bought season's tickets to the gorgeous Biltmore House and Gardens in Asheville,  North Carolina this year.  (This will be my 19th blog post about Biltmore!!!!)  We love that place and try to get there every couple of months... What we love the most are all of their gorgeous flowers.

BUT--this month's visit was 'different'..  There weren't many flowers in bloom.  They had some Mums --but most were not blooming on the day we were there (Oct. 11, 2011).   SO---we decided to check out something we have not seen before at Biltmore...

We had seen gorgeous photos of the back of the Biltmore House taken from the water ---but had never found where those photos were taken.   SO---this time we went 'hunting' for it... AND--we found it!!!!! 

On the road to the Winery,  there is a little lagoon on the left.. AND--there is a little rock road which leads back into that area..  WOW---did we ever find a gem!!!!!   The road winds back into an absolutely gorgeous area.  The lagoon is on one side and the French Broad River is on the other side...  There are pull-offs all along the way --for picnics, hikes,  and just plain relaxation...  We will definitely go back to this area.

We also had hoped to see some gorgeous Fall colors at Biltmore --but were surprised that the leaves have not changed much there...  We did get a few colorful pictures ---but not nearly as many as we got here on the Cumberland Plateau when we visited Cumberland Mountain State Park recently...

Today,  I'll share some photos with you from the lagoon area at Biltmore... Above is a picture of a little color we saw on the road toward the lagoon.  Below are more.  Be sure to enlarge the photos for some larger pictures.




This was our view --when we got to the lagoon.  There were Canada Geese EVERYWHERE... They must love that area!!!!!   AND--as you can tell,  there was a tiny bit of Fall colors.




Here is that beautiful view from the lagoon ---looking toward the back of the Biltmore House... Isn't this just tremendous?




Here's another picture  taken in a different place along the lagoon... Doesn't that house look like a palace up there on the hill?????




I was sitting on a rock admiring the beauty around me --and some of the Canada Geese came to visit me... We had our picnic lunch there ---so I'm sure that the geese thought they were going to get some lunch!!!!! ha




See how many geese were in that area!!!!!  AND---there were many, many more around!




Since George and I like to make our memories through pictures together,  we again got the tripod out and took our pictures at the lagoon... Great setting,  don't you think?

We also went a couple of other 'new' areas for us on that day ---so stay tuned for more pictures!!!!   It was a great day ---even though 'different'.... We always seem to have a marvelous time!

Hugs,
Betsy

51 comments:

Dirt Princess said...

Beautiful!!!! How wonderful to have season tickets to Biltmore!!!

Jeanne said...

Wow! I love the one of the two of you together. Sounds like a very lovely place for a picnic!

Jo said...

Oh wow, Betsy, what a great new find at the Biltomore House and Gardens. And what a stunning view of the palatial house. I love how I get to go on these fantastic trips with you and George. Thanks for sharing once again. Hugs Jo

Connie said...

What a great view. It does look like a castle. I love the picture with all the geese. :)

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Hi Betsy, I'm stopping by because I saw your post about the Biltmore on Big Dude's sidebar. We went to the Biltmore for the very first time this summer for my birthday and spent the night at the Inn. I wrote about it and was surprised so many of my readers had also visited the Biltmore.

I look forward to reading more of your posts. I wish we lived closer that we could take advantage of the seasonal tickets. We were in Asheville yesterday and drove by the Biltmore on the way to our destination. The leaves are beautiful, but it was raining so we didn't get any good shots. Your photos here with the Canadian geese is fabulous. We would have loved to have seen them land on the lagoon.
Sam

Big Dude said...

Great shot of you guys with the house - worth getting out the tripod.

Catherine said...

Goodness ~ look at that beautiful castle behind you and George!

Glad to see the Canadian Geese looking healthy, happy and warm down South. They are flying fast from Canada! LOL!

xo Catherine

Mr. Bill said...

Hi Betsy....thanks for reminding me that we live in the most beautiful area. You capture all the beautiful venues that blanket our countryside.

pam said...

A side of Biltomore I've never seen before!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a castle in a fairytale!

Arkansas Patti said...

That you had to BUY season tickets is a crime. They should give you lifetime passes for all the great publicity you give them.
That spot so far is my favorite. It really takes one back in time.

Beth said...

Hi, Betsy. I love your shot of the Biltmore house looking across the lagoon---beautiful! You might want to make a return trip soon---the color in the trees here has changed quite a lot just over the last few days. It's nice to be able to witness the color progression from the mountaintops to the valleys from my porch. :-) It's great to see your shots of Biltmore---we've lived here three and a half years within twelve miles but have yet to visit there.

Hidden Haven Homestead said...

Love the photo of the two of you!! And you are showing areas I didn't even know was there! Thank you for sharing the info as I will pass it on to daughters.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I agree,you found a gem there. These pictures are amazing,just the right amount of colour.

MadSnapper said...

it is amazing how we can go to the same place many times and find different things each time. i love trees whatever color they are and with a castle in the air above trees and water, beautiful and the loving couple makes it even better

Snap said...

Beautiful. I remember our trip to the Biltmore fondly.

Out on the prairie said...

A very nice shot of the house, it made me think of Austria and one of the homes used for the Sound of Music.

Judy said...

That's a beautiful setting for a photo...That would be a beautiful Christmas card.

TexWisGirl said...

absolutely idyllic setting!

Tabor said...

Only been there once...maybe some day again but it is far away from me.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Our colors have been a little slow here too, but they're finally coming around.

You're like a Biltmore expert - they should give you free passes just in exchange for all the beautiful blogging you do on them!

Fred Alton said...

Did someone say, "Beautiful?" ABSOLUTELY!!! And you and George find the spots that I love most. That quiet, natural, away from the crowd feeling is something I just love.

Larry said...

Hi Betsy... I've taken photos from that angle some years ago... it really is unforgettable! I love the Asheville area and we almost settled there when we were young... so beautiful! Larry

Kay said...

As usual your photos do not disappoint. They are as beautiful as usual. Love the colors and what a beautiful hotel.

Hugs,
Kay

Dorothy said...

Gorgeous photos! You found a neat area. Love the pictures made across the water. I really like the picture of you and George!!!

Serenity Cove said...

Beautiful pictures Betsy! I just love the view from that side too. Just gorgeous!!
I was at the Biltmore one time and unfortunately it rained that day so we didn't get to see the gardens. I think I would like the gardens better than the house too.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

"We always seem to have a marvelous time!" I think that sentence pretty well sums up your and George's view of life. Thanks for another beautiful post about the Biltmore House.

Karin said...

Wow!! Just a fabulous place and you get to visit it in reality not just through photos! Definitely looks like a place I could stay for hours and hours! Great photos - and of course love the one of the two of you!

Rose said...

This is the part that I would love about this place...LOVE these photos.

I Am Woody said...

Wow, what a beautiful spot! A perfect picnic spot:)

That is a fantastic photo of the two of you!

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous shots! Love the geese and the Biltmore does look like a castle perched on top of the trees! lol.

happyone said...

It sure is a beautiful place!!

Ms. A said...

That IS a palace on the hill, no doubt about it! The last time we were in Asheville, it was snowing when we arrived at the airport. Very little was even green, yet. Seeing these photos reminds me how beautiful the area is, when it isn't still naked. Sure wish I was there!

Reanaclaire said...

wow..they look so real.. so beautiful and serene.. love the pictures, Betsy!!

Christine said...

The view of the estate from across the lake is quite beautiful! Glad to see you and George had your photo taken from there too!

imac said...

Great shots Betsy, myself I find photos outside more interest to look at than inside these beautiful Houses.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a perfect place for a picnic! My favorites are he last one and #3. Now you have a good excuse to return before the month ends, to see how the trees are howling with color. I can't wait to see the rest of the new pictures from here! How long of a trip is it? Several people from here have been, but I think it is quite a distance, you may be closer.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Those are fab photos, Betsy! Just beautiful. I love seeing the photo of Biltmore in the distance with the lagoon. You are indeed lucky to live so close and get to go there that often and we're lucky that you share them with us. Looking forward to more photos!

Kelly L said...

Your pictures are incredible - love the fall colors! Here in So. California we don't get to enjoy seasons like this.... Glad I dropped by.
I've Become My Mother
I've Become My Mother facebook

Diane said...

Aren't we just enjoying these beautiful gardens before winter sets in. Very beautiful shots of the gorgeous home Betsy. Diane

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, Can you imagine how it must have been to live there or work there while the original family was living there? Built to impress! The grounds look gorgeous. As far as those geese go, i think that there is no shortage of Canada Geese here in the US! I saw plenty in the Northern Plains and even in Idaho! Have a super good day tomorrow!

Janice K said...

Looked like a wonderful, beautiful, peaceful day.

Ann said...

that's a gorgeous spot. You're explorations paid off big.

Neal said...

Those are gorgeous shots. I've never seen pictures from there. It looks so majestic sitting up there.

Donna said...

I have also seen pictures taken from that perspective, but never knew the secret of how to get back there! We'll have to look for that road the next time we go! Lovely, simply lovely...

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Love that last pic of you and George; what a backdrop for a sweet photo!

carolina nana said...

I've never been to the lagoon but I have heard about it. Several years ago when the 2 hurricanes came through here and we had such bad flooding,this area flooded so badly that pianos and other old furniture that had been stored in some buildings on the estate ended up in the lagoon. Your pictures are awesome.
Blessings
Marilyn

Chatty Crone said...

Every time I see your photos of the estate I want to go more and more.

Can you imagine living there at one time and all that beauty being yours and yours alone.

Whew.

sadnie

Unknown said...

What gorgeous pictures! My mom and dad just returned from their 50th anniversary trip to see the colors out East, and I think they were a bit disappointed. Dad especially had issues with the driving habits out there and road signage. ;-0 Should have sent them down your way! I will remember that next time! Thanks so much for sharing. The leaves up here have been pretty, but the wind is picking up, so I guess we will be picking up the leaves all too soon!

Hugs!

Kirigalpoththa said...

Biltmore House is magnificent!

Loren said...

What a find!! Truly beautiful and appears to be sooo peaceful!! Love the pic of you & George!!

I am not sure I could ever leave that place...the beautiful trees and the sound of the water...Heavenly!