Welcome to JOYFUL REFLECTIONS. Also welcome to MARCH!!!! My header picture this month is a photo I took of the pretty Crocus blooms in our yard... The Crocuses and Daffodils are the first signs of spring here in Tennessee. I am definitely ready for SPRING...

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Great Sunday for this Mama

This past Sunday,  my youngest son, Jeff,  came to visit us.   He was going to come on Mother's Day --but we changed it until this past Sunday  since we were coming home from the beach last week.  It was also nice for him to wait a week to come because we could not only celebrate Mother's Day --but also,  we celebrated Jeff's birthday... My 'baby' turned FORTY on Saturday (May 14th)... Can you believe it??  AND that makes me -------HOW OLD????  ha ha

We had a wonderful visit with Jeff.  We talked-talked-talked,   watched my backyard birds--which put on a 'show' for Jeff,  watched a video that Jeff brought of one of the tornadoes that devastated an area near Chattanooga where Jeff lives,  watched "The King's Speech" (which is a fabulous movie and we recommend it --if you haven't seen it yet).  George took us to the Cumberland Mountain State Park Restaurant for dinner  (excellent buffet).  AND we walked around the lake at the park taking lots of pictures.

Jeff has a love for photography like I do --but he makes me look like an amateur.  He has been into photography for many years whereas I just started a few years ago.  He also has a love of the outdoors like George and I do...  You can just imagine how wonderful it was to sit and talk with this busy young man.

Here are a few pictures  I took of our day..   These were all taken at the Cumberland Mountain State Park.  Above is a picture of the restaurant (top floor) where we ate.




This picture shows the lake at the state park.  The grounds are well-manicured --and it was fun (although COOL that day) walking around that lake...




How do you like this huge bird feeder at the Cumberland Mtn. State Park? You can see that more critters besides birds enjoy this feeder....  The Canada Geese stay below that feeder ---hoping to get some seed which the birds (or squirrels) drop.  See what is on the top of the feeder?????? ha




The Canada Geese are not one bit afraid of us humans.  I got THIS close to this one --and it never did move...  Aren't they gorgeous birds?




I took a gazillion pictures of the bridge at the state park... I chose this one to share since you can not only see the reflection of the bridge ---but you can also see the reflection of the trees.... Love it!!!!  You?




We hiked on the other side of the bridge to see the 'waterfall' (overflow) from the lake into the creek.    You know us.... We'll count most anything like this as a waterfall... HA HA..  However,  this one really is pretty,  and there are woodsy trails in this area which you can take,  following the creek. Cumberland Mtn. State Park really is a nice place to visit.




Finally,  George took this picture of a proud Mama and her son.   It was wonderful being able to spend the day with Jeff.  I may be just a little prejudiced --but he is a fabulous young man.  I just cannot believe that he is FORTY now.... I must have been a child bride!!!!! Har Har Har....

Jeff took a group of pictures of my backyard birds which I will show in a post next week.   Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday!!!!

On another note,  we visited George's parents yesterday.   Both were in fair condition.  We are concerned right now about Dad (who turns 99 in August).  He's really gone down recently --and we think that he may be giving up.  Bless  their hearts.  Please keep Mom and Dad Adams in your prayers.

Hugs,

45 comments:

Loran said...

What a beautiful park, a special son, a meaningful day! I really like the picture of the bridge and the reflections.

I am sorry to hear about George's dad declining. I know it's to be expected, but difficult nevertheless.

Take care.

mudderbear said...

Hi Betsy... I love your photographs. We don't have all the woods here that you do....we live in a desert, actually. Your son looks a lot like you. Sounds like a wonderful day. My oldest is 40. Time was, I was holding at 42 and we wondered what's gonna' happen when she gets to be older than I am. Haha....well growing old is all in your head, so they say, at least until you start rolling down that ol' hill.
I will keep you all in my prayers, of course. As always, Rosalie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos of your visit with Jeff, Betsy. Thank you for sharing and my prayers are with George's parents.

Carletta said...

Aren't sons wonderful! I know you must have had the BEST time. I got to spend the weekend with mine and it was the first Mother's Day in a long time.
Love the bridge photo and reflection. Such a calm and serene place.
That is the TALLEST bird feeder I have ever seen!
Happy Belated Birthday to Jeff!!!

So sorry to hear about George's Dad. I will keep both he and George's Mom in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos of Cumberland State Park taken during your son's visit.It must have been lovely to celebrate his birthday with him;
very special.

From the Kitchen said...

Nothing better than spending time with a precious child--even one turning 40 (that I'm sure you must have been 14 when he was born!!). You both look happy to be together. Love, love, love the bridge photo! Reflections are wonderful.

Sorry to hear about George's dad. Praying for the best.

Best,
Bonnie

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing this special time with me.The walk around the lake looks beautiful and,you know how I love reflections.The bridge reflections are great.
My son turned 38 this year and yet,I still feel like I am hardly that old.What happened?

mamahasspoken said...

Looks like a fun day though any day spent with a son is a fun a day. It took me several clicks and enlarging the photo, but I finally saw who was on top of the feeder. Silly tree rat!

Catherine said...

What lovely photos Betsy and such a perfect lovely day you had!

Indeed ~ clearly you must have been only 12 years old when you got married! ;)

xo Catherine

Connie said...

So nice that you got to spend some time with your son, Betsy. I know that meant a lot to you. Pretty pictures. Looks like a nice place to visit there. :)

Unknown said...

Beautifulpark. This is the kind of place I could take my buckett and sit, Sit real hard.
My favorite saying
"When I work, I work hardley, and when I sit, I sit HARD"

Bless you.

LOL

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is so wonderful Betsy...I know how much you adore your boys. That photo of you and Jeff is priceless!!!
Prayers and love your Georges parents...

Chatty Crone said...

Happy birthday to your son! Cumberland Mtn. State Park looks awesome and I'm going to look it up - it can't be too far from here.
It looked wonderful. And on top of the bird feeder - what else - a squirrel. And I hope that George's parents are okay - 99 wow!

Sunny said...

I have missed seeing all your wonderful pictures. I'm so glad that you had a nice visit with your son. Mine is coming for a few days next month, hope the rain stops by then!
Thank you for all your kind comments while I've been gone.
☼ Sunny

MadSnapper said...

sorry to hear about G's parents. that is a really neat place to eat and the park if fantastic. so happy you could spend time with your "baby". i like that shot of the goose a lot. all the photos are really sharp and clear.

Out on the prairie said...

Those Canadians tame out when around people. They have joined the domestic crowd at a local park.

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful park. You and George are a mess. I know you are so proud of that son of yours. It's perfectly alright to be prejudiced. I am. Prayers for George's parents.

Pat - Arkansas said...

The park is beautiful; love that bridge -- your photo is marvelous. I'm glad you had such a great day with your son.

George's daddy is in my prayers.

Glenda said...

What a special day! Being the mom of two sons, I feel your pride in your youngest! Your pics are wonderful - as always; I especially like the bridge picture.

How amazing that your FIL is 99 years of age! My husband's dad is almost 92 and is still able to ride around his farm and check the cows. God bless the two of them - and you and George as you walk through this stage of life with them.

Linda at To Behold The Beauty said...

You should get paid for your "travel agent" activities, Betsy. Through your blog, I keep learning of more and more places that I'd like to visit. This one looks like another winner.

Rose said...

I am so glad you got to spend a day with your son...they do remain our babies, don't they?

I liked the bridge shot you chose, as well the waterfall. (I am with you--I am very lenient in what I call waterfalls.)

Tracy said...

Boy, you have a joyous event; spending time with your wonderful son Jeff. That is very special Betsy, bot the sadness entering your heart regarding George's parents. I will certainly keep them in my prayers...
I love the photos...the bridge being the most special!

Barbara said...

Beautiful as always Betsy, I do love the Swan, and the photo of you and your son is precious, and will keep for many a years, hugs my dear friend, I so enjoy your blog and your pictures you take all have heart.. Be Blessed.

happyone said...

Isn't it something how your son can turn an ordinary day into something special. : )
I know how you feel, almost - my son will turn 39 in July!
Great photos.

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

These are gorgeous photos but my favorite is of you are your son! I can see the love in it :)

Kirigalpoththa said...

The last photo is the best!

Ann said...

Love all your shots and I would say you had a good day with your son. You obviously were very young when you had him :)
Sorry to hear about George's dad. I'll be sure to say an extra prayer for them

amelia said...

What a beautiful place to go to eat and a buffet!!! I LOVE buffets. I can eat all I want without too much guilt because you HAVE to when you pay don't you!!??? That's my excuse anyway!

Lovely time to spend with your son. He's a lovely man and I know how you feel because I feel the same way about mine!

Sally Wessely said...

Let's see. If Jeff is 40, you are 52. No, wait he is the youngest, so you must be a tad bit older than 52. Jeff is a very nice looking young man. Isn't nice to spend time with our adult children?

Your photos are lovely. I really like the one of the bridge.

Anonymous said...

That is a very nice picture of you and Jeff. Your day sounds lovely!

Arkansas Patti said...

Lets see, puberty at 12, that puts you around 53. Still a pup:))
Loved the reflections and the close up of the goose.
Sounds like your son didn't fall far from the tree.
I will put George's parents in my prayers with a special one for his
Dad.

Diane said...

Beautiful shots, especially the Canadian Goose. I can see the family resemblance with your son, I'm so glad you had a wonderful day Betsy. Diane

Anonymous said...

Hi Betsy, Such nice photographs of your visit - great memories. I enjoy going to the Cumberland Mt. State Park myself. Have a fantastic day tomorrow!

Shug said...

Happy Birthday to Jeff....What a great day for you! So glad that you had the opportunity to spend the day with two of your favorite guys....
Wonderful pictures....ALL of them.
such beautiful country up your way. Hope to visit there soon..

Hugs Betsy...
shug

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Betsy...your photos are wonderful love all of them !!! Hearing your heart sing with joy about your son is so inspiring...a mother's love is something phenomenal!!! Have another wonderful day!!!

Loren said...

Holy Smokes Betsy! The Bridge and The Waterfall pics are absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I would have those framed if I had taken them!!

Sounds like a heavenly day!! You don't look like you could have a 40 yr old! :) Your face is filled with Jsuch OY in your pic with Jeff ♥

LV said...

That is a wonderful way to spend time with your son. Out enjoying mother nature and dining in a fine restaurant. Noting nicer than strolling along watching all the birds and other creatures play.

carolina nana said...

What a beautiful place,love that restaurant. So glad you got to spend some time with your son.
I love the reflection of the bridge in the water.
Does George's parents still live alone?
I'm sending a prayer up for his dad, maybe he is just having a bad week,hope so .
Blessings to you all
Marilyn

Janie said...

I'm glad you had such a nice visit with your son. It's always good to see your kids happy and doing well.
The pictures of the park are lovely. Really like the bridge reflection and the "waterfall"!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Do the Canadian geese fly back to Canada or have they migrated permanently.

Great that mum and son share the same interest.

Andrea said...

Lovely family you have there, as wonderful as the photos. You said Jeff takes better photos than you, then maybe he is a real pro, coz i already envy your shots. That bridge and waterfall are lovely. Sorry about G's dad, but he ought to take a rest, he has been so blessed already of years only a few got!

SquirrelQueen said...

Happy Birthday to Jeff!
It's great that you got to spend time together.

I see that little squirrel, I think he was waiting for the geese to get lost. I love your bridge shot.

KathyA said...

1. Your joy really shines through in this post.

2. Happy Birthday to your handsome son!!

3. Of course a squirrel would be on top of the feeder; they're ubiquitous!!

4. Will keep M/M Adams in my thoughts. How blessed you all are for having them here!

Fred Alton said...

Praying for George's parents! At 99 we can expect them to begin to slow down a wee bit. Happy birthday to Jeff! And I affirm all that you said about the State Park from the buffett to the neatly manicured surroundings! Great post.

Cicero Sings said...

Glad you had such a great time with your baby! I'm the baby in our family too.

You've taken some great pictures ... so if you say he is even better ... then wow.